5k Running advice needed.

Options
2»

Replies

• bc119
    bc119 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I really don't care how long it takes for me to run the 5k, I just want to be able to do the full distance without walking.

First, just wanted to say thanks for posting that you run at 4.5 mph on the treadmill. For me too 4.5 is a jogging/running pace. I am not fast but I can maintain my endurance much longer at a slower pace than a faster one. Sometimes I feel self-conscious when I see other people at the gym hop on a treadmill and just start givin'er at 6.0 mph.

Second, I don't think there's anything wrong with you taking walk-breaks during your 5K. I did a "Learn to Run" program with the Running Room in Canada and they start you off at intervals (walk 1 min, run 1) and get you up to "10-and-1's" (run 10 min, walk 1, repeat) and this is the method they recommend for even experienced runners doing half- or full-marathons. Granted I know most people want to be able to long for longer than 10 minutes at a time but I think their theory is that it helps your endurance throughout the race.

Congrats on your progress so far and good luck with your race! You've inspired me to want to get up to 5k again!
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I don't run outside by myself because I'm genuinely afraid to (I have a good reason). I do have a friend who will run with me outside so we plan on getting together a few times before the race.

I really don't care how long it takes for me to run the 5k, I just want to be able to do the full distance without walking.

If I increased my distance to get up to 3.1 miles, that would be increasing my distance by 38% over two weeks. That's a lot more than the 10% increase per week that's usually recommended.

ETA: Wow, I got a lot of replies while I was typing this post! Thank you everyone. This one was only in response to the first two replies, though. :)

If it makes you feel better, it's only ~1300 meters more. Just over 3 laps around a track.

Remember 10% rule of thumb is miles per week, not miles per run. I have no idea about C25K, but I'd guess your running enough miles per week to complete a 5K (I'd wager your probably at about 2 hours per week too)
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you can do it! I can't even train for my 5ks b/c of bad knees, but run a couple a year anyway. Obviously I do other types of cardio and strengh training to get myself in decent shape, but you'll find that the excitement and adrenalin of the race will push you along faster and further than you think you can do. If you have to jog really slow or walk part of it, that's fine...you will find there are many who just walk the whole thing. My goal is always to run (however slowly) the whole thing and make it across the finish line, still breathing:wink:
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine!! Out of all the marathon and half programs I have done, you do not run the full mileage until race day. So get yourself up to 2.5 - 2.75 and you will do great! But get off the treadmill and get outside! The treadmill helps push your legs, the pavement will not. Its also more fun to run outside - can't get boring like the hamster wheel. One other thing to consider with running outside - you never know what the weather is going to look like on race day. Are you not going to run if it rains/snows/cold?? No! So get out there and do it and good luck to you friend!!
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Just going to echo the "Get outside" sentiment.

I can't do C25K. I can't run on a treadmill.

I'm doing a Zombie Escape 5k obstacle course tomorrow morning, and I am absolutely certain I CAN do this. The difference is that I have been taking my walks/jogs outside from the start.

You are in much better shape than I am, so I think you will be fine- just get your butt off the treadmill and out the door! :-)
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the replies and encouragement everyone!

I'm definitely going to work on getting outside, and I'll just increase my distance/time as much as I can until race day.
    If it makes you feel better, it's only ~1300 meters more. Just over 3 laps around a track.

Remember 10% rule of thumb is miles per week, not miles per run. I have no idea about C25K, but I'd guess your running enough miles per week to complete a 5K (I'd wager your probably at about 2 hours per week too)

I had no idea it was total miles per week! I thought it was 10% of time per run over the course of a week. This stuff can get confusing, can't it?

I run 3 times a week, that's 1:30 total minutes and 6.75 total miles. So should I not train as much the week of the race?
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    UPDATE!

So tonight I just decided to run and see how far I could go.... I ran a full 5k no problem!!! (I was so high on feeling awesome by the end I felt like I could have run forever, lol).

I am now, officially, not worried at all.

Thank you again everyone for all the encouragement and being so supportive and showing me that I could do it!

Yaaaaay!!!
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    YAY FOR YOU!! I felt exactly the same way. I was telling random people in the gym that I had just run 5k with the stupidest grin on my face. lol. I couldn't keep it in. Now I've been running 5k every Saturday morning. I'm hooked. I'm working on 4 miles now. My goal is half marathon next may.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Sounds like you have officially experienced a "Runner's High!". Now you will be hooked...