Am I eating too much? New to tdee -20% !

Options
Morning guys,

I've seen so much about TDEE-20% and thought I will give it a go. If I can eat more to lose weight then I'm there!!!!

My height is 5'5", I'm 178lbs, aged 26. I'm a teacher so not sedentary but not necessarily running round everywhere at work. I try to work out 3x 40 mins a week, plus extra if I can. My goal weight is around 140lbs, so I've 38lbs to lose.

I worked out my TDEE-20% to be around 1700. My BMR was roughly, as was different on a number of sites, 1550 and my TDEE was about 2050ish.

I've lost 4lbs this week, but I've bad a mixed bag of calorie intake - some days eating 1700, others about 1500 plus exercise. Literally could not eat anymore.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. Like I say, I'm new to this whole TDEE-20%! Last time I lost weight, I lost 9lbs by eating 1200 for 5 days then more at weekends. Lost about 1 - 2lbs per weekish

X

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    If you are losing weight, then no, you are definitely not eating too much.

In order to see if you are eating the right amount, you really need to give it more time to see what results look like over time. Generally, I like to go 2-4 weeks with a new regimen before passing judgement on it, especially for women because of our monthly cycles that can make water fluctuations drive you nuts. I would take measurements (both scale and tape measure) once a week to keep track of things, but then wait a couple of weeks to see the progression and make sure that everything is going the way that you want.

As long as you calculated your TDEE correctly, there shouldn't be a problem. You might want to try to pre-plan your meals, that way it makes it easier for you to hit your calorie goal without guessing at the end of the day. There are many things you can have that add to your calorie total that isn't much food, too. If you say that you can't get more than 1500 because you aren't hungrier than that, you could dip a spoon into the peanut butter jar and easily scoop out close to 200 calories, and then you are back up to your 1700 goal.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sounds like you're doing fine on 1700. keep at it!
  • aims_86
    aims_86 Posts: 74
    Options
    I think it's cause 1700 feels like such a lot!!!

Thanks, ill give it another few weeks & see. If I need to lower it then I will.

Aims
  • kristinebolton5
    kristinebolton5 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I checked my tdee as I have seen everyone talking about it as well. My TDEE - 20% is 1935 & my BMR is 1516. MFP set my calories at 1330 and I have been atleast 300 calories below that since I have started. I have lost 2lbs and inches. 1935 seems like way too much.

I'm 175, 5'4", 32 years old. I walk 60 mins 5x week & 30 mins cardio 3x weekly. Am I not consuming enough calories?