Trust the HRM?

Options
Yesterday at about 2 pm, I put on my HRM. I proceeded to do some housework and yard work. I decided, just for giggles, to leave my HRM on for 24 hours. Well it's been 24 hours, and according to the HRM I burned 3314 that time. Can that even be possible? While I am not a slug by any means, I don't think i'm that active in my day to day activities. It just seems really high to me, so i'm just wondering if anyone else has ever done this.

Just for information:
37 year old Female
Just about 5'5"
155 pounds

Replies

• LittleDoodlePoodle
    LittleDoodlePoodle Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'd love to know this too, as I've been contemplating doing the same!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I did the same, as recommended by by HRM manufacturer - only I did it for three 24-hour periods. My average over the three days was 2400ish, which is a LOT higher than I expected. I adjusted my calorie goals based on those numbers and have had great success...so I am guessing it was correct (or at least close to correct).
  • dcl3872
    dcl3872 Posts: 20
    Options
    Nah you must be rady it incorrectly
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Yeah....unless you are in the "cardio" zone (usually over 130 bpm), HRM's are not accurate at all. They wildly over estimate calories burned. So with that said, unless you are doing cardio or an exercise that gets your heart rate up, don't bother wearing one.
  • kingking
    kingking Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My rule is that I have to subtract off my basal metabolism if I wear my HRM for long periods of time. So, for me, I'd knock off 2500 calories off the 24 hour total.
  • SneakyWaff1es
    SneakyWaff1es Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I think using one of the formulas or the scooby calculator to estimate your tdee is the best way. I compared my Polar FT4, Bodymedia Fit and two apps and got a huge difference in calories burned for various activities.