Hikers United!

Options

Replies

• NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    I have done some real tough hikes in the backcountry in Yosemite, Grand Canyon etc. I was never able to lose weight because I had to really load up on carbs to even finish and the end of the day of utter desperation and fatigue.
  • Kattamer81
    Options
    I'm a hiker too and I'm lucky because I live in the heart of the Blue Ridge mountains! I've been hiking a couple of times a week since the weather turned warm again. This weekend I'm doing my first endurance hike...10 miles with a 30-40 lb pack on my back. Training to hike 60 miles of the Appalachian Trail in May. I'm not a skinny thing either but I'm gonna give it my best shot. Good luck!!
  • wahelga
    wahelga Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    That's great Tannie and thanks for organising. As I'm a day ahead of you, my miles for yesterday (18 April) are 3.75 miles.
  • wahelga
    Options
    I know what you mean Norminv, I've been so tired its as much as I can do to keep putting one foot in front of another. Day 3 seems to be the worst and then the body (legs) find new strength.

But walking around town etc will help us all lose weight I'm sure. I walk 5 miles home from work a couple of times a week, as well as going for short hikes. Hard to find time for real hiking :-(

Kattamer, it sounds lovely where you live. I've not been to the US, but you have some very beautiful country
  • mammakisses
    mammakisses Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Hey I'd love to join too, I've never been part of a virtual travel so it should be fun. Plus I'm very excitted that we can count all kinds of miles. Today I did 3 miles of speed walking/ jogging.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I am looking forward to walking to New York and getting to know you all!! I have one more walk to do for Today, then I will post my miles.
  • LJCannon
    Options
    :drinker: WOO-HOO!! I am home and my Shoes are OFF!!
    Walked at Work - 1.78 Mile
    Treadmill - 2.01 Mile
    Walked to 7-11 - 1.75 Mile

= 5.54 Mile
  • tanniew78
    tanniew78 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I have done some real tough hikes in the backcountry in Yosemite, Grand Canyon etc. I was never able to lose weight because I had to really load up on carbs to even finish and the end of the day of utter desperation and fatigue.

I always bring a typical trail mix. Protein is even more important than carbs in any endurance sport. Even just to go exercise at the YMCA, Ill have a bit of cheese or yogurt before I go and it ALWAYS serves me better than carb based foods.
  • tanniew78
    Options
    I logged a mile! Its been nasty out here in the valley!

I am building a house on Saturday so... Not sure Ill get any miles in that day or Sunday. lol.

NY Miles- 216- 13.29= 202.71!

Making real headway! We are around the Meriden CT area. Its a beautiful castle town!

ar120745645929311_zpsa4a16668.jpg

I thought we would like to see the scenery as we go along. ;)
  • LJCannon
    Options
    :heart: Thank You for posting the Picture!! It reminds me of the Castle at Turner Falls that I climbed all over on my Birthday last year!!
  • tanniew78
    Options
    This one is called Castle Craig.... Its in some park there in Meriden. I love the view from the top! :D If you notice the lush valley behind it at any rate. That view could only be enhanced by being above it.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Hello, everybody! I joined MFP a week ago and love the website. I live in Gettysburg, PA and hike on the battlefield every day.
    Miles today: 3
  • wahelga
    Options
    Thanks for the photo, it will be great to see where we are passing through.

I did 3.84 miles yesterday (19 April). Will post todays in a couple more hours :-)
  • tanniew78
    Options
    I logged a mile or so today. LOTS of walking and moving about as I was busy building houses for a community project. SO looking forward to todays end so I can see where we have made it to thus far!
  • LJCannon
    Options
    :drinker: Friday's Miles = 3.65 Mile

Part of that was after I put my Client to bed and her Electricity went out! I lit a Candle in the Living Room and one in the Kitchen. Since her house has an "Open Floor Plan" those two candles gave enough light for me to walk a 'Circuit' through the Kitchen, Living Room, and Dining Room. It was a great way to stay awake in the Dark.
  • LJCannon
    Options
    Is the Castle in Hubbard Park? If I am looking at the Wikipedia Map correctly, it has lots of Hills in the Park and some nice Water Features which are similar to the Water Spouts in My City Park. I will have to go to the Park and walk up and down some of the Hills!!
  • wahelga
    Options
    Happy Sunday everybody. I did 2.67 miles yesterday (20 April).
  • LJCannon
    Options
    :heart: Happy Sunday, Early Bird, LOL!! It is still Saturday Evening here!!
  • wahelga
    Options
    You are 12 hours behind us I'm afraid, so I always add the date with my miles so you know what day I mean.

Lovely overcast, cool day here that may finally deliver rain. Its been a very long, hot, dry summer here and autumn (fall) is slow to arrive, so we need the rain badly. But my morning walk was lovely - lots of birds, swans and ducks on the river, magpies and wattlebirds in the trees singing melodically. Good day to be alive :smile:
  • maggie16sweetxoxo
    maggie16sweetxoxo Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm going on the appalachian trail in a week!