Looking for fellow Breastfeeding Mommas!

Options
13»

Replies

• Caaja
    Caaja Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My son is still hungry when he's done feeding. At first I wasn't sure, but he dropped from 50th percentile (at birth) down to 15th (at 2 month check,) which tells me he isn't getting enough. I began to supplement last week, after his 2 month check up, and he managed to down an additional 6oz after being on the breast for 15 minutes (and pulling constantly.) Even though I'm currently supplementing, I usually feed him on the breast first and pump the other side before giving him any formula. It's discouraging to know he's not getting enough. I had no supply problems with my first child and breastfed him for 9 months, at which point I weaned because of severe PPA. I wasn't trying to lose any weight that time.
    [/quote]

Did you see a somebody about this? Did they check for latch, TT etc? Do you feed him from both sides in one session?
    anyhow, I can see how it must all be discouraging! :( The main thing is for you not to feel bad about anything, you are doing the best you can and if your breast are not working properly for some reason- that is not your fault now is it :)) you are doing really well I thing giving the circumstances and well done for not switching to formula , I know too well how it can sometimes feel like its the easiest way - to make your baby happy = you happy :)
  • LuckyMunky
    LuckyMunky Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Latch is good (I can feel the difference, believe me) and he's not tongue tied. Honestly I think it's a mix of my anxiety and diet. I wasn't feeding him on both sides previously but began to over the last couple of days in hopes of him eating more milk and less formula, and also to stimulate more milk production. I've heard that oats help a lot so I'm going to add oatmeal to every breakfast and see if that helps boost it a bit.
  • trisharunner
    trisharunner Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I exclusively BF for 6 months and my daughter self weaned at 10 months. She is now almost 2. My weight is 1-2 lbs within my BF weight. I have to say looking back at BF I was hungry & listening to my body I def did eat 300-500 calories more back then. If you are hungry it's most like the need of calories to make milk. I was nervous about gaining too when she weaned but my doctor assured me I wont be as hungry & I should be fine & he was right. Now that being said if i ate as much as I did while BF i def would gain right now, lol.
  • Caaja
    Options
    Latch is good (I can feel the difference, believe me) and he's not tongue tied. Honestly I think it's a mix of my anxiety and diet. I wasn't feeding him on both sides previously but began to over the last couple of days in hopes of him eating more milk and less formula, and also to stimulate more milk production. I've heard that oats help a lot so I'm going to add oatmeal to every breakfast and see if that helps boost it a bit.

good luck let us know how you are getting on!! :)
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 6 months today. We just started doing BLW so she will continue to nurse frequently until she "gets" the whole eating solids thing :smile:

Feel free to add me!
  • crystal_marie_23
    crystal_marie_23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE to join too!!! I am nursing my 16 month old still ... there are days when I am ready to stop, and other days when I love the closeness. I plan on stopping at 18 months .... plan is the word. LOL
  • crystal_marie_23
    crystal_marie_23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm currently nursing my 2.5 month old. I was having troubles with supply this week so I just upped my calorie count by another 100 calories. I'm currently at 1800 and hoping that's enough. My son is always on the breast (every hour it seems,) so stimulation wasn't really an issue. Anxiety is also playing a large role in my milk production (PPA/PPD)

He could be going through a growth spurt. When they go through those they nurse A LOT to up your supply. Even if you feel "empty" just trust that you body IS making the milk your baby needs! Also if you feel like you need to produce more, add oatmeal to your diet .. it naturally increases milk supply, as does drinking lots of water! There is an herbal supplement called funegreek that you can buy at the pharmacy that will help as well :) Hope this helps!
  • Caaja
    Options
    Hey! I'm currently nursing my 2.5 month old. I was having troubles with supply this week so I just upped my calorie count by another 100 calories. I'm currently at 1800 and hoping that's enough. My son is always on the breast (every hour it seems,) so stimulation wasn't really an issue. Anxiety is also playing a large role in my milk production (PPA/PPD)

He could be going through a growth spurt. When they go through those they nurse A LOT to up your supply. Even if you feel "empty" just trust that you body IS making the milk your baby needs! Also if you feel like you need to produce more, add oatmeal to your diet .. it naturally increases milk supply, as does drinking lots of water! There is an herbal supplement called funegreek that you can buy at the pharmacy that will help as well :) Hope this helps!

I think her baby was losing weight so prob not a spurt ;)
  • Caaja
    Options

have a read here!! :))
    http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/low-supply/
  • QuickRedFox
    Options
    Anyone here considering following the Dukan diet? I know you have to modify it for nursing mums (basically no "attack" phase). Ideas? Experiences?
  • jmsharp1
    jmsharp1 Posts: 29
    Options
    I am nursing a 16 month old who drinks about 15 oz of cow's milk a day (along with water and juice), knows the art of dipping his carrots into ketchup, and watches me with glee in his eye as he slowly tries to bite off my tire-rubber nipple. I thought reducing my calories may make him stop. Nope---still loves his teddy boobs, whether they actually produce milk or not. I'm sure that his constant tug along with my weight loss are going to get me into the pages of National Geographic in no time! That's what I'm hoping for anyway.

So glad I'm not the only one! I 'm bf my 17 month old daughter. I also breastfed my 4 year old and 3 year old until they were 1! This being my last one Apparently neither of us are committed trip weaning but at this point I'm about tired of being literally a dairy cow!!
  • Josie0118
    Josie0118 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am breastfeeding my daughter 12 months as of the 18th. She has solids here and there but still nurses at least 8 or 9 times a day. We co sleep so she does a lot of sleep eating too. Lol. I just started mfp and didn't even think about needing extra calories. U haven't lost any weight this past year, in fact I have gained 15lbs. I have PCOS which makes you gain weight and have a hard time losing it. I ate crap before too so I am hoping I can get some weight off even while bf and with PCOS.
  • ale820823
    Options
    Still nursing my 17 mth old. I don't count any "extra" bfing calories even though he still nurses 5x a day and drinks water. I've noticed that I still have plenty of milk and haven't noticed anything different or is he slowing down at all. I felt safe cutting calories after he turned 1 but got serious about losing when he was 14.5 mths.
  • annagibbs13
    annagibbs13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Nursing my 1 month old. I'd love some new friends and support. :smile: