what is the top choice food products for everyone on myfitne

Options
SKidd
SKidd Posts: 9 Member
I have been reading " The Belly Fat Cure".
It shows how to swap out "belly bad" foods for " belly good foods complete w/ receipes. The only problem I'm finding is that alot of the products they prefer aren't available in my local stores. So, I was wondering what is the top choice food products for everyone on myfitnesspal.
I never did like the word "diet". I prefer to "change my lifestyle of eating habits". I just need some ideas on how to start. I have a large family of 7 I cook for nightly. Any suggestions?

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Staples for me include:

- Lots of fruits & veggies (I try to buy different ones each grocery trip so I'm getting different nutrients and don't get bored)
    - Lean protein: boneless skinless chicken breast, tilapia, canned chicken, canned tuna
    - Healthy fats: avocado, olive oil (I don't cook with anything else unless I'm pan frying eggs, then it's butter spread), almonds, natural peanut butter
    - Whole grains: whole wheat hamburger buns or bagel thins, corn tortillas instead of flour

Also, I do my best to stay away from high fructose corn syrup (no more soda, regular or diet), hydrogenated oil (trans fats) and high sodium or processed foods.

I'm not the cleanest eater but I do what I can on my budget. My belly's almost flat so it must be working!!
  • Koshie
    Koshie Posts: 61
    Options
    The only problem I'm finding is that alot of the products they prefer aren't available in my local stores.

Can you give us an example of what you are having a hard time finding?
  • SKidd
    Options
    arielle0489,

I never heard of tilapia... what is this?
    Also, is there a certain brand of canned chicken you use?
  • Caralyn
    Caralyn Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Tilapia is a type of fish. I buy Costco's canned white chicken.
  • SKidd
    Options
    Some Examples of what I'm having a hardtime finding is:
    *Scott's BBQ Sauce
    *Nature's Hollow products( they are suppose to be sugar free)
    * Food for Life Ezekiel products
    just to name a few.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    My personal favorite is a premarinated mahi mahi that you can get from Trader Joes (also known as dolphinfish in other parts of the country).

To answer your question about Tilapia, it's a faily inexpensive light fish. I don't eat it due to an episode of Dirty Jobs that I once saw (basically, it's a bottom feeder and lives off of other fishes poop......but so does crab, so take it for what it's worth)

For snacks, i'm a big fan of almonds, pistachios and triscuits. I also love light laughing cow cheese.

You might want to look into pork too. A pork tenderloin is pretty low in calories and high in protien.
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel products are sometimes in the frozen section of regular grocery stores, where the frozen organic stuff is. You will find a better selection of them at a health food store or natural food store, and they typically don't freeze them. Hope this helps.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Yes, tilapia is a fish. It's rich in omega-3s which are great for your heart and also your skin. I buy Kroger brand canned chicken. It was $1/can this last ad so I bought 2. There are typically 2 servings in each so it could last me almost a whole work week and I'll throw it on a sandwich or in my salad. It's probably not the healthiest way to eat chicken but it's convenient and cheap.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Staples of my whole foods, low carb kitchen:

Meats - whole chickens, flank steak, london broil, pork tenderloin, ground lamb, ground bison, 85% lean beef (pref. grass fed), bacon

Fish - tuna (tinned in olive oil), ahi tuna (raw), canned or fresh wild salmon (quite possibly the BEST fish available), scallops (ocean), shrimp, clams (whole or canned), and tinned herring (smoked in water).

Fats - grass fed Amish butter, ghee (clarified butter), olive oil, coconut oil, grass fed beef tallow (rendered)

Vegetables - broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, wax beans, zucchini, eggplant, beets, BIG tub of organic mixed greens, carrots

Fruits - avocado, tomato, berries, melons, apples

Grains - quinoa, wild rice, low carb wraps, gluten free breads

Nuts / Seeds - almonds, walnuts, pecans, sunflower seeds, pepitas, tahini paste, almond butter

Dairy - whole Greek yogurt, feta cheese, gorgonzola crumbles, Chavrie

Others - almond milk, coconut milk, light cream (for coffee), stevia (for sweetening), pure maple syrup (sweetening)

and EGGS!

Lots and lots of eggs!

Yeah, my grocery bill can be atrocious at times, but seriously, it's worth it.
  • gchick64
    gchick64 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    In my kitchen I’ve switched all pasta for whole wheat, no complaints so far, also I buy in bulk when I can so it’s cheaper, although pasta’s not too expensive to start :) . I did check out the couple of products you said you were having trouble finding and they all have websites you can personally order off of, also the food for life website has a store finder link, so maybe you could try that out. Good luck.
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Here are things I keep in my fridge/cupboard/freezer.... Obviously some people may object to some of the foods I have, but I try to eat as clean and fresh as I can. This is what I could come up with on the top of my head.

Whole Grains:
    whole wheat bread
    Orowheat whole wheat Sandwich thins
    Whole wheat tortillas/wraps
    brown rice
    couscous
    whole wheat pasta - Healthy Harvest brand is what I love
    red potatoes
    old fashioned oats (sometimes steel-cut oats)

Lean Protein:
    chicken breast
    salmon
    tilapia
    shrimp
    scallops
    pork chops
    ground turkey (98/2)
    ground beef (96/4)

Fresh Veggies:
    onions
    cucumbers
    green beans
    broccoli
    asparagus
    zucchini (in season right now=awesomeness)
    spaghetti squash
    red/green peppers
    celery
    tomatoes
    kale
    carrots
    chilies/jalepenos
    spinach
    corn
    pea snaps
    mushrooms
    Frozen stir fry veggies (when I want to have the veggies on hand, but not sure when I am going to have my stir fry)

Fresh Fruit:
    apples
    bananas
    oranges
    strawberries
    blueberries
    raspberries
    cantelope
    cherries
    grapes
    watermelon
    peaches
    lemon ( to add flavor to dishes)
    avocado (is it a fruit?)

Other:
    greek yogurt
    skim milk
    cheese
    eggs
    tons of natural spices (basil, parsley, cilantro, rosemary, curry, cumin, dill, etc)
    beans
    legumes
    craisins
    raw nuts (almonds, cashews)
    fresh ground peanut butter (natural)
    wheat chex (to make my own little fun snack of wheat chex, almonds, craisins)
    black olives
    Flat Out- light italian wrap
    light italian dressing (used lightly as a seasoning)
    olive oil
    low sodium soy sauce
    honey (to sweeten things)
    pure maple syrup
    canned tuna in water

Some of my “naughties” (foods I could probably do without, but I choose not to because….well, I love them!)
    fat free campbell's cream of mushroom / chicken (to cook with in certain dishes)
    shredded hashbrowns
    sourdough engligh muffins
    Land O Lakes whipped butter (to put on the English muffin, of course)
    Chow mein noodles (to sprinkle on top of my rice bowl for some crunch)

Some of the things I do to avoid processed foods:
    *make my own pasta sauces
    *make my own fresh salsa
    *bake whole wheat tortillas in oven to avoid purchasing chips
    *make own soups (much less sodium)
    *check out cool websites for ideas on new recipes
    *freeze some of my fruit and some yogurt to make homemade smoothies
    *make homemade pizza using whole wheat thin crust & veggies…yum
    *make enough for leftovers. Since its just me and my husband, I make dinner for 4, that way we both have leftovers for lunch sometime in the week. I never buy packaged meals. (Those are expensive anyways, and high in sodium). Plus, buying in bulk is typically cheaper in the long run anyways.
    *I buy fruit/veggies when in season and at a reasonable price. I love blueberries, but there is no way I’m going to pay $6 for a small carton in the middle of winter.

Anyways, those are just some ideas. Hope you are successful in finding healthy foods for your family!

I noticed a few others listed off foods, so i'm sorry if this is repetative!! I did a mental tour of my kitchen :happy:
  • Jozie236
    Jozie236 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You know, sometimes these recommendations that tell you to get certain products are sponsored by those companies to influence you to buy their product. I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing, but I also don't think you need to go crazy looking for a certain brand. To slim the belly, the best advice I have read everywhere is to cut refined carbs, maintain/increase intake of healthy fats, and meet your daily intake of lean protein (including fish twice a week). I've read the South Beach Diet, the Abs Diet, informational pamphelets on diabetes on line at the supermarket, in the Dr.'s office, etc., and lots of stuff online.

My personal suggestion would be to cut out more of your family's white rice, pasta, and white bread, and replace it with beans, potatoes (pref. sweet), roasted starchy veggies (like beets), some corn, and more naturally occuring carbs. Also, look up the glycemic index online somewhere and try to choose lower GI foods. Even with the natural carbs, pair them with a teeny bit of fat. I've noticed that if I have 5 almonds with an apple as a snack, I am substantially more full then if I eat only the apple. Or if I eat the nuts and the apple 45 minutes apart.

Good luck :smile:
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to unprocessed foods as much as I can, but... I'm not perfect (*cough* Hershey's syrup and coconut milk ice cream after my workout this morning *cough*).

Your best bet is to stick to FOODS and not "food products", though. Experiment with spices and making your own dressings/sauces where you can control the amount of sugar and salt that gets added. Just a guess, but the BBQ sauce mentioned in that book is probably a brand that doesn't have a lot of sugar or high fructose corn syrup in it. So, if you need BBQ sauce and can't find the one mentioned, examine the labels of other brands and find one without a lot of junk in it. Or, better yet, make your own! It isn't hard.

I do love the Ezekiel products (and other spouted grain breads). If your store carries it, it will most likely be in the freezer section, though. Check there. It usually has a hefty price tag but I think it is worth it. I just try to limit the amount I eat.
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    You know, sometimes these recommendations that tell you to get certain products are sponsored by those companies to influence you to buy their product. I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing, but I also don't think you need to go crazy looking for a certain brand. To slim the belly, the best advice I have read everywhere is to cut refined carbs, maintain/increase intake of healthy fats, and meet your daily intake of lean protein (including fish twice a week). I've read the South Beach Diet, the Abs Diet, informational pamphelets on diabetes on line at the supermarket, in the Dr.'s office, etc., and lots of stuff online.

My personal suggestion would be to cut out more of your family's white rice, pasta, and white bread, and replace it with beans, potatoes (pref. sweet), roasted starchy veggies (like beets), some corn, and more naturally occuring carbs. Also, look up the glycemic index online somewhere and try to choose lower GI foods. Even with the natural carbs, pair them with a teeny bit of fat. I've noticed that if I have 5 almonds with an apple as a snack, I am substantially more full then if I eat only the apple. Or if I eat the nuts and the apple 45 minutes apart.

Good luck :smile:

I agree that some foods that are recommended are sponsered by the companies themselves. And sometimes its not the specific brand that is so important, as it is the nutrients and ingredients in that product. You can almost always find something very similar to the product being advertised.

And I do agree that you should eliminate all white rice, pasta, breads and anything thats "enriched" or "bleached".

Sometimes I think the "slim belly" ads are somewhat misleading. Its not going to be 5 foods that will slim your belly, its going to be a result of what you eat overall. Cut out bad sugars, high fats & processed foods. And exercise! Eating well and giving your body exercise will slim your belly and give you confidence!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    Some Examples of what I'm having a hardtime finding is:
    *Scott's BBQ Sauce
    *Nature's Hollow products( they are suppose to be sugar free)
    * Food for Life Ezekiel products
    just to name a few.

a lot of ezekiel products are in the freezer section because they don't have any preservatives.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Grains:
    Amaranth
    Millet
    Quinoa
    Other ancient grains
    Rice (brown/wild)
    Oats (rolled or steel cut) or other whole grain cereal (Bob's Red Mill makes ome great ones)
    Whole grain/wheat bread that contains no artificial ingredients/hfcs/colors
    Whole grain/wheat pastas (there are some great ones that are not wheat-spelt and tritricale are great)

Dairy/Alternative:
    Greek yogurt
    Soy milk/ice cream/creamer/butter
    2% cow milk
    Almond/rice/hemp/coconut milk

Veggies and fruit:
    Any and all!

Protein sources:
    Tofu
    Edamame
    TVP
    Tempeh
    Protein shake (right now its Isopure, but when I have the money it's Vega)
    Beans
    Lentils
    Nuts/seeds
    Grains (mentioned above-especially quinoa)
    Faux Meats (Morning Star, Quorn, and some Boca products)

Extras:
    Clif Bars (my fave pre-running snack)
    Natural PB or other nut butters
    Oils-olive, walnut, grapeseed