Poverty and Poor Nutrition

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Someone help me with my grocery bills please then. I get $20 MAX a week to spend on a family of 3, that includes a gallon of milk every week and diapers if I need them. I "make too much" by my gross income to get state aid of any sort yet I'm below poverty level after you take out my health and dental insurance. My $20 will soon be going lower as they are about to raise the rates of my insurance yet again. It's not a matter of convenience (although when you leave at 6 am and don't get home until 7pm the last thing you want to do is cook all night), it's a matter of I can buy a box of mac and cheese and feed 3 of us 1 meal for $1. Oh, and food trucks and food banks are usually only open during the day, not later at night when I could get to one.

Buy lots of dried beans. They are super cheap, super versatile and super nutirtious. You can cook a big batch and use all week in different recipes, or you freeze or can them. Bean burritos, tacos, nachos, soup, beans and rice, hummus, bean salads.

Don't buy fresh greens like spinach, kale, collards or turnip greens. Frozen is a small fraction of the price of fresh for the same amount.

Get a crock pot. They are not expensive and can be a huge timesaver for a busy mom.

Buy the cheapest cuts of poultry you can find on sale. Skin on, bone in is usually cheapest. You can take the skin off yourself if you don't want to eat it.

And I'll go against the grain and say there is nothing wrong with boxed mac-n-cheese occasionally. A box of mac-n-cheese, a can of tuna and bag of frozen peas makes a tasty homemade meal that will have about twice the volume of Tuna Helper.

Pasta is a great filler and only unhealthy if you have a medical need to limit gluten or carbs and it's cheap. When cooked al dente the glycemic load is actually pretty low. Tomato sauce is cheap and nutritious. Use it to make your own spaghetti sauce. Pasta salad with pre-cooked dried beans, a few chopped vegetables and a vinaigrette (again much cheaper if you make your own) is something most kids love.

There is nothing wrong with ramen noodles. Add some frozen vegetables and pre-cooked dried beans for a cheap soup.

Healthy doesn't have to mean nothing processed. Just find a good balance that provide proper nutrition without breaking your budget. It's a struggle sometimes, I know. I've been there. But it can be done.
  • bmstee03
    bmstee03 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Someone help me with my grocery bills please then. I get $20 MAX a week to spend on a family of 3, that includes a gallon of milk every week and diapers if I need them. I "make too much" by my gross income to get state aid of any sort yet I'm below poverty level after you take out my health and dental insurance. My $20 will soon be going lower as they are about to raise the rates of my insurance yet again. It's not a matter of convenience (although when you leave at 6 am and don't get home until 7pm the last thing you want to do is cook all night), it's a matter of I can buy a box of mac and cheese and feed 3 of us 1 meal for $1. Oh, and food trucks and food banks are usually only open during the day, not later at night when I could get to one.

How about getting rid of an extra phone or cable or internet so you can properly feed you and your family?

I'm in a similar situation (except no insurance for us). One phone. No cable. Internet needed for work (and it's the cheapest, most basic internet available). What else would you cut?

Cheaper rent,cheaper hair and body products,I have a hard time believing you 2 cant qualify for assistance dont have any bills other than electric and 30 dollars for phone and after rent cant afford food. I know ppl that work at subway and McDonalds and live well within their means making around 800 dollars a month and having 2-4 kids.

So the proposal is you should live in crack houses in order to afford better food. Also, he knows the most well paid fast food workers ever.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I'm not impoverished, but I'm not even close to scrapping by either. For instance, there was NO money after bills this paycheck for grocery shopping. So my choices consist of whatever is still in the cabinets/fridge/freezer. That translates to lots of pasta, some frozen pizza, and some English muffins...there might be some eggs in there too. Unfortunately, proteins and fruits/veggies are too expensive for me to purchase a lot of times. I KNOW they're worth the purchase, but I have to shop as cheaply as possible, and I need foods that will last a long time.

It's frustrating, especially after losing almost 50 pounds between May and August of last year and putting at least half of that back on because financial situations have changed. Sadly, none of it is getting any better!

:brokenheart: Im right there with ya mama
  • patrnbabe
    patrnbabe Posts: 42
    Options
    I have a similar schedule to yours (to the lady who's gone 6am to 7pm). While I don't mind cooking, I am tired and don't want to every night.
    Soup is the answer. In large quantities. Cook once or twice a week. Eat it twice a day until the pot is empty.
    Make a different flavor soup the next time. There are literally hundreds of soup recipes for free on the internet or in your local library.

One pound bag of dry beans, four or five fresh carrots, a can or two of tomato paste, one smallish ham steak (mostly as flavoring) salt & pepper, one or two onions. For extra fun throw in some sweet pototat, shredded cabbage or other veggies. For under $10 you have two meals daily for at least two to three people, for at least three or four days. And you only cooked once. Breakfast for cheap- it's hard to beat oatmeal with a side of boiled egg. I even eat mine in the car on the way to work. I prepare a large batch once a week and portion it out in containers for grab & go convenience.

Buying unprocessed ingredients in bulk is infinitely cheaper than smaller packages, but it takes a bit of time to accrue the budgetary savings to do so. A 25 pound bag of dry beans is nearly half the cost per pound than a 1 pound bag is (which is less than half the cost of canned beans). Same for the ginormous can of tomato paste at Smart & Final (which I divide into little zip lock bags for single use and toss into the freezer.)

Yeah, the kiddos might not want to eat the like this, but if you don't have the funds or time to do otherwise, it will keep you from being hungry.
  • chunkydunk714
    Options
    I think I need to speak out for all those low income familys out there- since I AM one of them. My mother,sister and I get food stamps. around 370 every month. That may sound like alot bit it really isnt. I would LOVE to eat healthy every singel day but its jsut not possible. So yeah I think being poor and unable to afford good foods is major reason for being unhealthy. I cant tell you how many times iv walked past the produce aile and looked with longing, at most only able to afford a few apples and mybe bannanas or only the frozen veggies. (IF even that) most family's really only can afford ramen noodles and frozen pizza and processed food. Its a shame really. If healthy food was more affordable i really think america would'nt be so obese

370.00 a month? I only spend MAYBE 300 a month and buy healthy food. 70 more dollars would be a heavensent I could buy some really awesome stuff with that extra, like some of the stuff I see ppl getting and eating. I would love to see your grocery receipt.

You know everything about everything dontcha? Must be nice...
  • bmstee03
    bmstee03 Posts: 119 Member
    Options

How about getting rid of an extra phone or cable or internet so you can properly feed you and your family?

I'm in a similar situation (except no insurance for us). One phone. No cable. Internet needed for work (and it's the cheapest, most basic internet available). What else would you cut?

Cheaper rent,cheaper hair and body products,I have a hard time believing you 2 cant qualify for assistance dont have any bills other than electric and 30 dollars for phone and after rent cant afford food. I know ppl that work at subway and McDonalds and live well within their means making around 800 dollars a month and having 2-4 kids.

So the proposal is you should live in crack houses in order to afford better food. Also, he knows the most well paid fast food workers ever.

No continue to live above your means and starve your children...SMH....800 dollars a month working at subway is the low end of the pay grade hun.

No. No it isn't. $7.25 is minimum wage. Most fast food workers only get 15-20 hours each week to avoid having to classify them as fulltime and eligible for benefits. That means maybe $600/month before uncle sam gets his cut.
  • chunkydunk714
    Options
    I think I need to speak out for all those low income familys out there- since I AM one of them. My mother,sister and I get food stamps. around 370 every month. That may sound like alot bit it really isnt. I would LOVE to eat healthy every singel day but its jsut not possible. So yeah I think being poor and unable to afford good foods is major reason for being unhealthy. I cant tell you how many times iv walked past the produce aile and looked with longing, at most only able to afford a few apples and mybe bannanas or only the frozen veggies. (IF even that) most family's really only can afford ramen noodles and frozen pizza and processed food. Its a shame really. If healthy food was more affordable i really think america would'nt be so obese

370.00 a month? I only spend MAYBE 300 a month and buy healthy food. 70 more dollars would be a heavensent I could buy some really awesome stuff with that extra, like some of the stuff I see ppl getting and eating. I would love to see your grocery receipt.

I know what I spend and do and what the ppl around me spend and do. Whats wrong with wanting an extra 70 bucks? I would love to have that. I dont like going without just like the next person.

LOL, i totally quoted the wrong quote. This is what happens when you have ADD and trying to hide the internet from co-workers...

im an idiot.

my apologies :flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

No continue to live above your means and starve your children...SMH....800 dollars a month working at subway is the low end of the pay grade hun.

No. No it isn't. $7.25 is minimum wage. Most fast food workers only get 15-20 hours each week to avoid having to classify them as fulltime and eligible for benefits. That means maybe $600/month before uncle sam gets his cut.

It varies by region. Many fast food places in my area offer $10 an hour or more because they can't get anyone to work. You'll drive by these places with big signs stating their starting wage only to see someone begging for money at the next stop light.

When traveling I've seen signs offering as much as $15 an hour at fast food places.
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options

The cheapest apartment (1 bedroom) rents for $400 here. I don't know anyone who can live with 2 kids let alone 4 kids on $800 dollars. If you haven't been in the situation, you don't know what it's like.
  • patrnbabe
    Options
    How many peeps on here go on and on about beans when someone in the family hates beans? No one family fits into the same mold.
    "if you don't like what's being served, you don't have to eat"
    Straight from the mouth of my depression era grandmother.
    Feed yourself and your family what you can afford, and try to be sure it's the most nutritious food you can get.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i find that shopping healthy on a budget isn't too hard, but it does take planning and getting used to.
    when i was first out of college i was on food stamps until i had a stable full time job, which was $200 a month for one person. i found this was not difficult for me to stay within the $200, and if i did spend more i was only using a little of my own money.
    what works for me to budget, and not every grocery does this, but shop at home. shoprite does this, and if it is over $100 then there is no pickup fee (usually it's $10 fee). if i am spending less than $100 i still shop online, bceause i can sort everything through price and unit price, and i feel it is easier for me to sit down and spend a few hours finding the best deals before i go to the store, that way i am not staring at the shelves and picking whatever "seems" cheapest and rushing to get out of there.
    as far as produce, i try to buy what is in season because that is always cheaper. i freeze what i can so it does not spoil. i slice peppers and onions and bag them, as well as buy frozen veggies. i keep fruits in the fridge so they hold a little longer as well.
    generally, with added items like cleaning supplies and hygiene, my huge monthly shop is between $200 and $250 for myself and my boyfriend. i generally go back to the store maybe once every two weeks and get more fresh produce, since i eat a lot of that daily.
    i have no problem buying non organic produce, things that have a good peel you can get away with because the pesticides really won't seep in.
    instead of buying canned soups, i will make a big batch of veggie soup in the slow cooker that can last me a week, and is much cheaper to do.
    pasta, rice and beans are cheap as well so i balance meals around that, and add different seasonings. so i can use the same dish and make something an asian style with soy sauce or sweet and sour sauce, and the same rice and veggies throw in chili powder or other spices for a mexican type dish. i get dried beans and cook them ahead of time, then just add them into the dish.
    i think as long as you plan ahead, check out different stores to see who has the best deals, and go in knowing what you need and not adding impulse items, then it is doable. i think a lot of people just don't have the time to plan ahead or the information to, and it is easier to buy cheaper processed foods especially if someone works several jobs. i used to do this when i worked 30 hours night shift and a day job during the week. but on my off day now i will prepare plain rice, pasta, beans, meatless grounds and then mix them together as the week goes for different meals.
    but it does make sense that those in poverty would have higher weights, because a lot of junk food, canned meals and the dollar menu are cheaper at the time.

eta: i also sign up for free samples of things like hygiene products, cleaning stuff etc, and use some websites like coupons.com. greanted they are for name brands but if the store already has them on sale and you have a couple that even doubles or tripples, then you can def pay less than even the store brand item.
    and if you live in a place where you can grow produce, then take that up as well. i wish my apartment had more space outside but i may grow some herbs on the window sill, and try and plant something like zucchini
    also, if things like cheese or freezeable produce are on sale, i do stock up on that and keep it frozen. my freezer is jam packed now (too packed i think, it seems not as cold lol) with shredded/blocks of cheese that were on sale for $1 and mass bags of frozen veggies when there is a super duper sale. my boyfriend this past shopping trip on monday was like i hope there's not frozen items on your list, bc we have no room.
  • julesassid
    Options
    The reason why the Great Depression did not contribute to obesity is because foods were not nearly as processed in 1939 as they are today.

In 1900, the average person consumed 5 pounds of sugar a year. Today that is closer to 150 pounds.

I suspect that people during the 1930s were still largely consuming what we would call a paelo diet today.

Pretty sure bread was common during the 1930's, so were dairy products :/

They were common. Besides debating the quality / quantity of food - people also WORKED HARD. They worked on farms, and factories where they may have had to walk to get there. They did not sit in front of a television everyday. The work people did was 10x what we all do today. No one sat in front of computers, or had smart phones. There are so many reasons beyond poverty levels for the fact that we're way fatter today than people were in the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options

I know what I spend and do and what the ppl around me spend and do. Whats wrong with wanting an extra 70 bucks? I would love to have that. I dont like going without just like the next person.

is $370 for just one or are there more int he household? in ohio and ny it is $200 for a single person. i know i don't spend that much on two people though. but it depends where you live, when we lived in ohio the rent was cheaper, we were making a little less than we do now and the food was cheaper too. those were the glory days, maybe we should leave ny :laugh:
  • SunflowerRox
    SunflowerRox Posts: 50 Member
    Options

is $370 for just one or are there more int he household? in ohio and ny it is $200 for a single person. i know i don't spend that much on two people though. but it depends where you live, when we lived in ohio the rent was cheaper, we were making a little less than we do now and the food was cheaper too. those were the glory days, maybe we should leave ny :laugh:

no no, lol i wish ti was 370 for one person in the house, wed have it made then. Its rouhgly about 130 per person here in arkansas. 370 is for three of us for an entire month
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    It's also an issue of access. In some areas there just aren't proper grocery stores where you can get fresh produce and healthy foods. And if those type of foods are available in the corner stores, they're much more expensive than the processed foods. It also may be difficult for people to get to the grocery stores because of time or financial constraints, so they just stick with the convenience/fast foods in their area.

^^^this. I find it more than a "coincidence" that in the inner city of my area, there are more billboard advertisements for our casino, the lottery, and alcohol/beer than you will see in the middle class suburb where I live. And, there are fewer quality grocery stores, leaving the inner city residents to rely more on convenience marts and fast food restaurants.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    No continue to live above your means and starve your children...SMH....800 dollars a month working at subway is the low end of
    Min wage is 7.79 and I dont know why the ppl you know only work 15-20 but my friends pull full 39.5's Not all places pay benefits for full time either

Minimum wage in Virginia is $7.25 and if you work part-time anywhere here, you can't work more than 28 hours/week. I work for the State, make $10/hr, and the max number of hours I can work is 28. That's because of the new laws going into effect, and I believe that's starting to happen everywhere (I know my friend in Missouri who is a manager was complaining to me about that the other day).
    I'm a full-time Grad. student and work part-time. I get by. Sometimes my grocery bill is higher, sometimes it's lower. It depends on my mood.
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    if I had the money we would have tons of fresh fruits and vegetables every single day, we would have the best meats out there, and I would make every single thing that I could from scratch I try to do that now but it's hard with lack of funds
  • patrnbabe
    Options
    It's also an issue of access. In some areas there just aren't proper grocery stores where you can get fresh produce and healthy foods. And if those type of foods are available in the corner stores, they're much more expensive than the processed foods. It also may be difficult for people to get to the grocery stores because of time or financial constraints, so they just stick with the convenience/fast foods in their area.

^^^this. I find it more than a "coincidence" that in the inner city of my area, there are more billboard advertisements for our casino, the lottery, and alcohol/beer than you will see in the middle class suburb where I live. And, there are fewer quality grocery stores, leaving the inner city residents to rely more on convenience marts and fast food restaurants.

This argument cheeses me off to no end.
    I have watched grocery store after grocery store close in my middle class neighborhood for LACK OF CUSTOMERS.
    Yet the casinos are full and the liquor stores do brisk business.
    Gotta wonder where people are spending their money.
    This is the result of personal spending choices over a long period of time.
    Do not blame the store that can't keep it's doors open where there aren't enough customers to cover operating costs.
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options

I wish we could get that much for my family of 5 we only get 270 I don't see how we don't get more but it's nice to be able to get it though I'm very thankful for that
  • SStruthers13
    SStruthers13 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Some of the answers are still missing the point. Macaroni and cheese fills a child's stomach and lasts longer than the head of lettuce for the same price. Yes, one has to be wise about what they are feeding their families. Education is necessary. How many of you working parents feel like coming home and spending the rest of your evening cooking and cleaning up?And it is even worse if it is a single parent with 2 jobs. How many peeps on here go on and on about beans when someone in the family hates beans? No one family fits into the same mold. I feel making and baking from scratch is more cost effective. However, some parents are just plain tired not lazy. Just like the TV show Wife Swap some folks on here need to live a month in poverty or near poverty and then post. One last disclaimer: I agree if you can go to McD's you can afford to eat healthier, too.

Not lettuce, canned veggies. 3 for a dollar. I could feed myself and my 2 kids for $3.00 a day. I would buy meat on sale, canned veggies and add a starch like potatoes or rice. Sometimes it was eggs and toast. It wasn't perfect but it was not total junk food like many eat.