exercise with toddlers

Options

Replies

• MistressAella
    MistressAella Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    As crazy as it sounds, I got a great workout in taking the kids to the park! Make sure it's not crowded ;) I did inverted rows on the bar the kids swing on. Step ups on one of the platforms. Lunges of course. I even used my kids to do bench presses. (turning them half way each time of course, their torsos weighed more, lol) To work out at home.... I totally cheat and get up early to squeeze it in.... or if I have to do it later in the day I let them watch My Little Pony while I train. LoL.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to exercise with toddlers? yes, yes it is. The human baby is naturally dumbbell shaped and can be easily maneuvered to perform curls,overhead press,bench and even rowing movements, obviously as your strength increases more babies will be needed, but a baby is a perfect tool for a fitness novice.

:laugh: Ha! This made me laugh. There will be no additional babies for me!

I should probably clarify. I'm a working mom with a full time job so i get home from pickup up the kids around 5:30-6. They don't go to bed until 9. There are no evening naps. I may have to suck it up and do a video after they go to sleep or before they get up. Sidenote: I am absolutely NOT a morning person and the thought of waking up any earlier makes my eyes twitchy! My preferred method of exercise is running or going to a boxing class, but neither of those is in option right now. Thanks for the tips guys. I will definitely try the walks in the regular stroller and the dancing games. At least they'd get a kick out of it. I'm not sure how kindly they'd take to me bench pressing them, but it's worth a shot :wink:

In the case of work outside of home moms... I just do it during my lunch break. I will either extend my work day by 30 minutes to go to a zumba class or I will make my way to a park or rec center and do something there for about 30 minutes.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Body weight strength training. Also, there are lots of exercises where the toddlers can be used as gym equipment; they love it because they get your attention and get to "help" and be tossed around.

Edit: It's awesome that some people gave you some specific ways to include your children in your exercise. Exercise should be the same as "play"; ie you move your body and have fun. Kids are naturals for that. Dancing with my child is a major joy in my life. I also take her out into the wilderness which is good exercise and instills great values and appreciation for life (and death).
  • Phoenixchichima
    Options
    you can work out with toddlers, even pets, but really you'll find that weights are easier as they dont squirm as much and sometimes the toddlers dont weigh the same so you have different weights on each arm. Squats arent too bad, or lunges, but bench presses & barbell lifts are tough.
  • briski_2005
    Options
    i dance with my son (21 months) and go for walks. also, i do insanity so i wait to do that after he goes to bed. makes it easier for everyone.
  • Phoenixchichima
    Options
    however they are the "epitome" of resistance training! particularly in the "terrible twos"
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    wagon jogging stroller, any stroller- bike trailer...

my 3yo twingles like to jog in place with me they think its fun, same with lifting handweights, they think they are so big and strong..
    as for tot , make sure you make it a game, theres a video on youtube, baby weight training, might not still be there, dunno, but haveing tot on when doing leg lifts, etc. stretching with the baby
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to exercise with toddlers? yes, yes it is. The human baby is naturally dumbbell shaped and can be easily maneuvered to perform curls,overhead press,bench and even rowing movements, obviously as your strength increases more babies will be needed, but a baby is a perfect tool for a fitness novice.

as your strength increases, the baby gets bigger.

my kids love being dumbbells and/or barbells. the oldest will even say she's a barbell and her little sister is a dumbbell. However they're not really heavy enough for a proper workout. My husband makes a good barbell for calf raises though and practicing fireman carries, and it's a goal of mine to do ATG squats using him as a barbell.

On a more serious note... OP you could wait until they're in bed and exercise then. I'm quite fortunate in that I can get other people to watch them e.g. when I do weights (I time my workouts when other people are able to do this), because there's no way I'm risking them being anywhere near me when I'm doing weight lifting. If they're in the house I lock myself in my room so they don't walk in e.g. when I'm just about to fail on a squat or something and have to dump the barbell. (that's when someone else will be in the house keeping an eye, I'd never do that if I'm the only one with them)

Regards cardio - aerobics videos they can try to join in but they tend to get under my feet and I don't want to risk stepping on them or knocking them over. Treadmill - won't use that when they're around either.

Taking the kids to the beach to run around is a good option in the winter, but it's impossible to exercise outdoors where I live (almost tropical, 100% humidity at times)
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Best bet would be to get a jogging stroller. You can probably find a cheap one at a garge sale or second hand store.

Otherwise, snack time and nap time work.

Best of luck.

^^this, try CL as well. This time of year, there will probably be a few listed in your area for sale.

I bought a bike trailer and it doubled as a jogging stroller for time I couldn't get to the gym with our son.
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Workout videos and it inspires her (14mth old) to sit on mom's tummy when it's crunching time lol Adds some weight, I dance and I do squats holding her.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    running stairs throughout the day
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I have a four year old and a 3 year old, and I work out WITH my kids. Teaches them good habits, they LOVE it, wears them out, and its "US" time instead of "ME" time. Plus its kinda funny sometimes to see them do the exercises :) Also, my 3 year old looooovvveeessss yoga, and sometimes I am impressed by how much of it she can actually do (I always help her and dont let her do anything too hard, I am a beginner myself anyway so we arent doing any crazy poses in this house lol)
  • happymom2013
    Options
    Blast some music and dance with your babies!! It gets them tired and you can put them down for a nap and start your video workouts. You might be tired too at that point so use it to relax. Lol :smile:
  • ashharris424
    ashharris424 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    http://fit4mom.com/

^ Formerly known as Stroller Strides. They specialize in helping moms find time to get in shape while having children around. Like some of the others said, I would try to find a double jogging stroller second hand. They're usually around $80. If you live in a warmer climate, it's about to be swimming weather. You could put both kids in floats and swim them around the pool in them.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    when my kids were very little they loved it when I turned up the music and we would dance around the house. We laughed, giggled, tickled, jumped on furniture.. (not me just the kids) and had a blast. I got them to help me clean the house without realizing they were cleaning plus I got my exercise in for the day. Worked up a good sweat in the process. House got clean so it was a win win.

edit to add that now as teenagers I have no problem getting them to clean the house or their room. I turn on the stereo and we all rock out while we clean. Never get an argument out of my kids. Just turn on their favorite music and get moving. Don't think they ever out grow fun.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I stayed home with my two boys when they were little. The only thing I go do was wait until I picked my wife up at her work at the end of the day, and then I would get out of the car. She worked about five miles from our house. I would run home, and get there about half an hour after she did.
    That was all I could do, and it was pretty good.
    I know that does not help you much, OP. I guess my point is: Sometimes you get what you get, and you have to make do with what you can, even if it is not ideal.
    I know at the time you don't see it. But you will be surprised how fast this stage in life passes.
  • jessmart83
    jessmart83 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My 5 year old loves to workout with me you could try Fitness Blender Kids Workout - 25 Minute Fun Workout for Kids at Home
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/exercise-detail/Fitness-Blender-Kids-Workout-25-Minute-Fun-Workout-for-Kids-at-Home/er/
    she has a lot of fun with that one :)
  • MrsBozz1
    MrsBozz1 Posts: 248 Member
    Options

:laugh: Ha! This made me laugh. There will be no additional babies for me!

I should probably clarify. I'm a working mom with a full time job so i get home from pickup up the kids around 5:30-6. They don't go to bed until 9. There are no evening naps. I may have to suck it up and do a video after they go to sleep or before they get up. Sidenote: I am absolutely NOT a morning person and the thought of waking up any earlier makes my eyes twitchy! My preferred method of exercise is running or going to a boxing class, but neither of those is in option right now. Thanks for the tips guys. I will definitely try the walks in the regular stroller and the dancing games. At least they'd get a kick out of it. I'm not sure how kindly they'd take to me bench pressing them, but it's worth a shot :wink:

I understand this, NOT a morning person!!!! (So it is killing me that my beautiful 7month old baby girl has decided that she like to get up at 5am :sad: :yawn: ) anyway Lol I also have a 6yr old, that I homeschooling and a 4 yr old. I try to do a video (Jillain Michael's on You tube) while my daughter is napping, the older boys play or watch movie but a lot of the time I do it after everyone is in bed. Not easy but I am worth it! I know you are tired after they finally go to bed (I feel ya! ) but you are worth it, fight for you! I hope you can find a time that works good for you and your little ones! As they grow it WILL get easier! I wish you the very best! Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Strangely, gardening is a great way to get exercise with toddlers. They really keep you busy in a garden, and, it is a great learning experience for them. They find it to be gloriously fun. Once I let go of my perfectionist tendencies, and just let the results be imperfect, I realized I was getting a good workout in!
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    i do tricep extensions using my nieces and nephews and they love it :laugh: