Help Figuring Out Calorie Consumption

Options
I'm very new to all of this, and trying to figure out how many calories I should be eating. The whole "eat more to lose weight" is a totally foreign concept to me, but I'll try it.

31 yr old female
5 ft 5.5
around 130 lbs (fluctuates from 128-132 constantly)
goal weight 120 lbs
body fat 25.5%

This might sound really stupid, but I when trying to calculate my calorie intake, I don't know how active to consider myself! I work a full time desk job, play sand volleyball on Sundays, court volleyball on Weds (although Weds vball ends next week) and coach my 10 year old daughter's team. Other than that, I generally do 2-4 miles on the elliptical 3-4 times a week. I've been doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred for 54 days now. (starting Ripped in 30 after day 60 of 30DS). That's only a 20-25 minute workout, so when I used the cheat sheet, I put in moderately active. Does that seem about right? According to that method, I should be eating 1951 calories a day...that seems so high! And is that ending number exactly what I should eat, after figuring in my exercise?

I also read a lot about lifting. I'm kind of interested, but don't know where to start. Is there a way to do it without a gym membership or expensive equipment? I can't afford either of those right now.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Replies

• FluffyMcNutter
    Options
    It seems high because you are pretty close to maintenance and you exercise a lot. A lot of the point is to fuel your exercise and get you prepared for eating at maintenance.

As for lifting, you might want to check out Nerd Fitness. I haven't tried it yet, but a lot of people seem to like it.

ETA: I'm guessing you've been eating substantially lower than that since you think it's high. You don't have to jump straight there. Give your body and brain time to get used to eating more by gradually increasing your calorie goals.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Firstable, please don't end me. I'm only trying to help.
    Secondable, you sound moderately active.
    Thirdable, check here for a great at-home, found-object strength training routine: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
    Fourthable, check here for a simple, easy approach to your caloric intake:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

To summarize and reiterate, please don't end me.

With love,
    Burt
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I will look into this nerd fitness and see what it's all about. So moderate activity sounds about right then? Before a couple of months ago, I hadn't worked out a day in my life, so I'm a bit clueless.
    Firstable, please don't end me. I'm only trying to help.

I'll take your request into consideration.

ETA: I'm guessing you've been eating substantially lower than that since you think it's high. You don't have to jump straight there. Give your body and brain time to get used to eating more by gradually increasing your calorie goals.

I just started tracking last weekl, but on most days, yes. I'm generally under the famous MFP 1200 goal.
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    I just started tracking last weekl, but on most days, yes. I'm generally under the famous MFP 1200 goal.

In all seriousness, this is very, very bad.
  • I_Will_End_You
    Options
    I just started tracking last week, but on most days, yes. I'm generally under the famous MFP 1200 goal.

In all seriousness, this is very, very bad.

Yeah that's what I'm learning! A couple of nice, slow days at work lets me get in some good reading time. I'll up it to the 1950 and see how that works out for me.
  • FluffyMcNutter
    Options
    Good luck!

And try not to get discouraged if the scale bounces around a lot while you're increasing your calories. It's ok and expected. Your body is going to need some time to adjust to everything new that you're doing.

If you find that once you've been pretty steady at 1950 for a few weeks (assuming you get there gradually, you'll need to give it more time if you jump up quickly) and you are either on an overall gain pattern or you are holding steady, then maybe your TDEE is a little off and start working from there. If your numbers are a little off, it's because the guesstimate of TDEE wasn't quite right - not because the method doesn't work. So, don't jump back down to 1200. I don't mean to scare you about it, but you should be prepared for it so that you know what to do if it does happen. :)
  • I_Will_End_You
    Options
    Thanks you both for your help! I'm not going back down to 1200, it wasn't doing anything anyway. Problem is, I didn't really change my eating habits all that much to get to 1200. That's just what I ate! Some days if I'd go out or something it would be more, but mostly it was just my normal eating habits.
  • FluffyMcNutter
    Options
    You'll be really surprised at how quickly your appetite adjusts to eating more. I eat all day and I'm only eating ~1700. I can't even imagine trying to go more than a few hours without food anymore. I love it, I want it all the time, and I eat it...and I'm losing more than when I was eating ~1500. It's amazing that % deficit models don't get more press a/o attention from doctors.
  • I_Will_End_You
    Options
    It's amazing that % deficit models don't get more press a/o attention from doctors.

After reading all the posts on here, I'm surprised too. Probably why I'm a bit leery of it.
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    After reading all the posts on here, I'm surprised too. Probably why I'm a bit leery of it.

Science vs. Psychology.
    Wanna lose weight? Eat as little as is 'healthily' possible.
    That model doesn't account for binges, poor macronutrient ratios, etc.
  • FluffyMcNutter
    Options
    I'm a little cynical, so it's probably just that there is too much money available in fad diets. People are always looking for an easy way to do something that's hard. I mean, even knowing what I know and after having some success with eating more, if someone told me they could wave a magic wand and I'd be at my goal weight for only $19.99, I'd think pretty seriously about taking it. The irony here is that % deficit is actually a lot easier than fad diets. It just doesn't have the 'instant results' that the 1200 calorie and under diets do. Of course, it doesn't have the blowback either.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Just remember you are already at a pretty healthy weight so being in a hurry to lose that last 10 lbs would cause a lot more harm than good. Some people can do it no problem, but they are the exception not the norm. It's usually a safe bet to assume you aren't a special snowflake. Anyway, don't let it be a deal that it has to be gone in a month or three months. If you eat at a deficit it will go and taking three months is a fairly healthy way to do it. But, if it takes four months or twenty weeks is that really a big deal?
  • I_Will_End_You
    Options
    Just remember you are already at a pretty healthy weight so being in a hurry to lose that last 10 lbs would cause a lot more harm than good. Some people can do it no problem, but they are the exception not the norm. It's usually a safe bet to assume you aren't a special snowflake. Anyway, don't let it be a deal that it has to be gone in a month or three months. If you eat at a deficit it will go and taking three months is a fairly healthy way to do it. But, if it takes four months or twenty weeks is that really a big deal?

Oh I know. And that 10 lb goal is not really set in stone. I actually just want to lose the little bit of fat I have left and see muscle definition and look "toned". So in all honesty, I don't care if I weight the same, I just want to look better! I had to come up with a goal weight when using the cheat sheet and MFP, though. Just picked 120 because that's when I looked the best. (of course...I was 18 and hadn't have children yet. lol)