Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    In for the virgins
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Actually..... if I was nursing, I would avoid it for the reason of the toxins.

Thanks for reminding me of this! Raw is something I'd like to avoid if possible. =)
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    IMO- a good starter is a Cali roll- not really "sushi" because it isn't raw fish. But it would get you used to the texture/style. Salmon is a strong flavor, so is yellowtail, as well as eel... So i wouldn't dive in with those lol. Spicy tuna is really good too.=) Good luck! Get addicted!

"Sushi" actually refers to the way the rice is prepared. Sushi doesn't have to have raw fish in it.
  • Kreider86
    Kreider86 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    IMO- a good starter is a Cali roll- not really "sushi" because it isn't raw fish. But it would get you used to the texture/style. Salmon is a strong flavor, so is yellowtail, as well as eel... So i wouldn't dive in with those lol. Spicy tuna is really good too.=) Good luck! Get addicted!

^good advice. I'm new to sushi and LOVE the california roll.. It's imitation crab meat with some veggies and I believe cream cheese. Dip it in a little wasabi and soy sauce!! mmmmmmmm :)

I've been too scared to go past this one type of sushi lol
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    THANKS, now i have to go have sushi for dinner! It's lovely & so healthy for you! It averages out to aprox 50/cal a bite....try to use low sodium soy and careful on the wasabi...it sneaks up on you....take your time & read the descriptions...be brave! places normally offer sampler platters or check out groupon there is normally always one available for a sushi place.....
  • BeachIron
    Options

Thanks for reminding me of this! Raw is something I'd like to avoid if possible. =)

The reason women are told not to eat raw food while pregnant or nursing has nothing to do with the food itself. It has to do with not being able to give you the medication to help severe food poisoning. Use good judgment with where you eat and you will be fine (the judgment thing is why most doctors simply say "no" to their patients). The outright paranoia about raw food in the U.S. is always good for a chuckle.
  • RambyPandy
    RambyPandy Posts: 118 Member
    Options

The reason women are told not to eat raw food while pregnant or nursing has nothing to do with the food itself. It has to do with not being able to give you the medication to help severe food poisoning. Use good judgment with where you eat and you will be fine (the judgment thing is why most doctors simply say "no" to their patients). The outright paranoia about raw food in the U.S. is always good for a chuckle.

Agreed. I didn't make that comment because of the raw factor, I was thinking more about passing along mercury and things like that to the baby.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Definitely not the healthiest, but my favourite by far is the crispy/crunchy roll.

Deep-fried tempura flakes, shrimp, avocado and some spicy sauce. Heavenly!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I hate to admit, but I've never had sushi before. I'm actually kind of intimidated by it.

What would people recommend for a sushi virgin? Things to avoid? (I have NO idea what the calorie counts are on this type of food, but I'm contemplating ordering some for dinner and hoping I have room to fit a fair selection in!)

So some things to keep in mind, not all sushi is raw. There are also three common types of sushi.
    Nigiri
    Maki,
    and handrolls, whose name eludes me right now.

Nigiri is the traditional piece of fish on top of some vinegared rice. A good place to start is with the cooked fish. Shrimp, surf clam, octopus, egg, and eel are all cooked. A lot of places will have seared tuna. Texturally, maguro (tuna) would be the most logical item to try as the texture is firm.If you stick with the less oily fish, you will only have to deal with texture, and maybe not insane fishiness.

Maki, are the long rolls that can go from simple kappa maki to the more insane things like the godzilla roll. Try some of the simple maki, kappa maki (cucumber), and tekka maki (tuna) are great. They are simple and a good intro. Next, try some of the cooked and more creative ones. Grilled salmon skin, jalapeno, and cream cheese is a "philadelphia roll" in most places I've been and good. Spider roll is fried softshell crap. Tempura shrimp rolls. California rolls are good as well, all the ingredients are cooked, although the crab in it is usually Krab and not crab. Again, items with tuna in it are a good place to start, texture is good. Some of the more texturally "difficult" ones are the scallop filled items.

The hand rolls are great, it's like a maki, but made for a single person and shaped like an ice cream cone. :)

Go try, enjoy! Experience the ginger, the wasabi, the flavors of the fish with and without soy. It's delicious and can be super clean food.

Now, a point of clarification. Sushi means specifically that it uses vinegared rice. Sashimi means that it is raw fish, and raw fish only.
  • BeachIron
    Options

Agreed. I didn't make that comment because of the raw factor, I was thinking more about passing along mercury and things like that to the baby.

That's a valid point though there are plenty of choices that don't have a high mercury risk. Lean more towards salmon (which is popular in the U.S.) and less towards fish like tuna and mackerel.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I think sushi is one of those things that has to grow on you. The first time I tried it I thought it was horrible! Now I am addicted!
    I suggest trying something like a special *cooked roll first. Then move on to something basic like a california roll (i can't stand those but most people like them) and then work your way into something like a spicy tuna or a plain tuna/salmon roll.

My favorite has been a white tuna sashimi - there is a fresh sweetness to the fish when compared to other kinds of sashimi.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    California Roll is a good starter, but It is a little strong with cucumber (not my favorite). I would try a simple Tuna Roll very mild flavor, and oh so good! **WARNING** not Spicy Tuna the first time round! Just Tuna Roll! Some of the rolls are heavy in calories like the Philly Roll, or Tempura Rolls. You will either love it or hate it there is no in between. My husband hates it. My little boy (started eating it at 3), and I love it so we go on Mommy and Dalton dates to the sushi restaurant. We get our favorite roll (I like the Dragon roll. He likes the Eel Roll). Then we get one we have never had before. It is great bonding, and something for just him, and I!
  • Grumpyluci
    Grumpyluci Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    high in cals, but so good! try vegi roll first, then work into something like California roll.I love sushi.
  • Terry903
    Terry903 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Look on the menu for veggie rolls of all kinds: cucumber roll, sweet potato, avocado.... I love tuna roll, sake- salmon, yellow fin tuna, but I don't like chewy stuff like octopus or clam. Get some edamame as appetizer and miso soup.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Anything tempura with spicy mayo you'll like as a virgin. They're not the healthiest ones out there but they're worth every calorie.

This here is a Volcano Roll
    Volcano-Roll_zps58741c83.jpg

This here is one with spicy mayo
    sushi_zps06d6a1cb.jpg

And this one's just for more ideas!
    assortedsushi_zpsbc9a8aa1.jpg

Tomorrow I have extra cals available I think this is where I will be spending them!
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I'm pregnant and I've eaten plenty of raw sushi. I recommend soft shell crab or shrimp tempura for a newbie and anything raw tuna. Yum.
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I hate to admit, but I've never had sushi before. I'm actually kind of intimidated by it.

What would people recommend for a sushi virgin? Things to avoid? (I have NO idea what the calorie counts are on this type of food, but I'm contemplating ordering some for dinner and hoping I have room to fit a fair selection in!)

SUSHI = raw fish
    NIGIRI = raw rish & seasoned rice
    SASHIMI = thinly sliced raw fish
    "ROLLS" = unknown calorie bombs (delicious though they may be)

The first 3 above are seriously low-cal (eat all you want/like - delicious and healthy)
    Rolls = spicy = tempura = spider = Calorie Bombs (delious, yes - sushi, no)
  • spaghetti93
    spaghetti93 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    "Sushi" doesn't mean raw fish, it means rice, so yes, a california roll is sushi and so is anything with just vegetables. However, I hate caiifornia rolls. I find them boring and bland.
    Try a cucumber or cucumber avocado roll. One of my favorites and easy to try for a beginner. My other favorites are salmon avocado, peanut avocado, and spicy scallop. People will recommend eel rolls if you don't want to try raw sushi but be aware that anything with eel is almost always drenched in dark brown barbecue sauce. yuck. Same with most spicy things, they mix mayo and sriracha together and squirt it all over your roll. these are definitely higher calorie and in my opinion not as tasty anyway.
  • _rozamu
    _rozamu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Great info for later! I had sushi before and didn't like it, but I've been feeling like I should try it again :)
  • FluffyMcNutter
    Options
    I hate this thread. It's 1:30 AM and now all I want is sushi. You people suck.