Avocado help!

Options
sandy_gee
sandy_gee Posts: 372 Member
I bought some to try from the grocery store but did not know how to check for ripeness. I was apparently backwards, and all the ones I bought are definitely NOT ripe. I just cut one in half, peeled it and took the pit out (fairly difficult) and am wondering if there's anything I can do to salvage it?
If I seal it up in tupperware will it ripen out of the fridge or just go bad? Or are there any good recipes I can do with a hard avocado?

Thanks in advance! And now I made sure to google how to check ripeness of them, and promise to let my others ripen before I cut them... :D

Replies

• spaghetti93
    spaghetti93 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    in my experience, once you cut into it its never going to get any riper. They usually don't get ripe for a couple of days. Put them in a paper bag with a banana or apple and they will be ready faster than just leaving the out. And if you put them in the fridge right fter buying, they're going to take FOREVER to ripen. they're ready just when they're softer, but to the point where they squish is bad.
    37434958 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Olive oil, salt, and maybe some pepper....

Mush it around with a fork!
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    When I have left over avacado I usually put it into a sealed plastic container...it seems to get squishier if it sits a couple of days. (Leave it too long and it'll get worse than just squishy though. Ewwww.) :embarassed:
  • Impassivelips
    Options
    Put the pit back into the avocado. Bring the sides together. Get a container or zip-lock. Put the avocado in there with a paper towl (to suck up moisture). If you put in the fridge it will not ripen. You'll be fine! Even if it brown a bit, then you just take the pit out and cut the browned portions.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    A Hass Avocado is ripe when it "gives" to the firm touch, it is usually very dark-blackish when ripe. I just leave mine out on the counter for a couple of days, touching until get the desired firmness. Go on YouTube to see how you disassemble an avocado.
  • Rossa59
    Rossa59 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You can bake under ripe avocado until soft enough to eat (about 20 minutes) or you can microwave it 10 seconds at a time. Put the halves cut side down on a dish. If you have a whole avocado that's still hard you can microwave it whole but prick the skin first with a fork or it can explode. They do roll around so put it in a bowl.

When cooked fill with tuna or whatever else you like. I like crab or prawns with mine.

If you don't want to cook it, rub lemon juice over the cut surfaces, put back together with the stone in and leave for a couple of days in a paper bag. The lemon stops slows down the oxidising (going brown) process.

As said before, pressing gently on the avocado is the best way to check it's ripe. Here in the UK they are usually very hard 'cos they get picked under ripe and put into cold storage before they get transported into stores. I always buy mine and leave in the fruit bowl for a few days. Bananas are great for ripening other fruit. Sometimes you can open an avo and it's brown inside. Usually means it's been bruised but you can't tell 'til you've opened it. I cut those bits out but some people eat it just the same.
  • sandy_gee
    sandy_gee Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Thank you thank you everyone!