For the first time in my life....

Options
linzismith
linzismith Posts: 139 Member
As many of you have probably discovered, truly committing to count every calorie requires that you become somewhat obsessed. I try to make sure that when I'm out with friends, that I am still able to talk about other things beside losing weight. No one wants to hang out with people that A) only talk about one thing and B) make them feel guilty to be around becuase they feel like what they eat is being scrutinized.

Well, lately my obsession has changed a little. I find myself staring at myself in the mirror, watching myself walk as I past a shopping window, flexing my abs as I get dressed in the morning or flexing my arms as I clean up the house. I'm pretty sure that by now, my boyfriend is getting sick of me talking about my body.

I had started to wonder if I was becoming a really vain person, obsessed with myself and a little narrow-minded. but today it finaly hit me. This is THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE that I am able to see my reflection in mirrors or store windows, or see a picture of myself and AND NOT FEEL DISGUSTED AND ASHAMED. In fact, I look at that person and think, "damn, she's hot!"

I'm sure the novelty will wear of soon, but for now, i'm going to let myself bask in the glory of my accomplishment. If you catch me checking myself out as I walk past your car window, don't think too little of me just yet!

Replies

• brookekedd
    brookekedd Posts: 14
    Options
    You go girl! You deserve to love yourself! Keep it up! I hope to one day reach that point, but I know what you are talking about when you say it becomes an obsession. It's all I think about.
  • goal30Lori
    goal30Lori Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I agree! You go girl!! I can't wait to get there too! (And my hubby is most definitely annoyed with me telling him how many calories are in everything he eats, LOL!)
  • Will_Lift_4_Shoes
    Will_Lift_4_Shoes Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    As women we are socialized to not feel good about ourselves or at the very least if we do feel good we should keep it to ourselves. Great Job!! Sending sunshine your way to bask in--and it makes the reflections brighter too. haha
  • missmiller1
    missmiller1 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I had a similar thought today about the people around me tiring of my exercise and food talk. My twin sister even told me today that she missed the "old me" that would consume a whole bag of bulk Reese's Pieces. I definitely don't miss being that person, and all my recent weight loss through exercise and eating right has started to rub off since she actually went running tonight!

I say proudly flex those muscles in my car window any day!

985358.png
  • bennettv
    bennettv Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have plenty more to lose, but I've been doing the same thing. When I'm getting dressed in the morning I tend to stay in just a bra and panties a little longer than needed just to check myself out. So nice to see muscle through the forest!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options

I had started to wonder if I was becoming a really vain person, obsessed with myself and a little narrow-minded. but today it finaly hit me. This is THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE that I am able to see my reflection in mirrors or store windows, or see a picture of myself and AND NOT FEEL DISGUSTED AND ASHAMED. In fact, I look at that person and think, "damn, she's hot!"

I'm sure the novelty will wear of soon, but for now, i'm going to let myself bask in the glory of my accomplishment. If you catch me checking myself out as I walk past your car window, don't think too little of me just yet!

I totally hear you on this!! :laugh: I'm glad I'm not the only one!!
  • ladybug91254
    ladybug91254 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I think that is so funny because where I work I have to walk passed & toward large glass windows. I used to look down at the sidewalk and avoid them. Lately I have caught myself "sneaking" a peak and while I'm not yet to a point where I'm think I look "hot" I do look and go "WOW" that really is you and you've lost a lot! So enjoy your "vanity" and know you aren't alone. I'm also wondering if maybe we had all been just a little vain maybe we wouldn't have gotten where we are?
  • porter09
    porter09 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Haha I totally feel the same. I have lost 130lb and used to walk with my head down now I cant help but look at my reflection in anything, and all I think about is what I can or cant eat, also check the calorie content of anything I pick up even if I know its fattening. I always worry I will be like this for life now. And I love flexing my arm muscles as I am quite proud of them lol
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    awesome job! that is the best feeling ever! :)
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    Ya.....it's funny because...even when you lose weight, it's just embedded in your head to be hard on yourself. I remember trying on a bikini and my instant reaction was to point out the little flab here and there to tell myself I need to work harder and I had to stop myself and just be like "Shut up, you look damn good just like that" hahahahaha....it's hard after years of thinking one way to change your mental thinking...but ya, EMBRACE it!!!!
  • geri1geraldinesuzanne
    geri1geraldinesuzanne Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    i know exactly what you mean. lol!
    :love:
  • geri1geraldinesuzanne
    geri1geraldinesuzanne Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    i know exactly what you mean. lol!
    :love:
  • erinliz
    erinliz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm totally with you on this one! I have noticed that I actually get dressed in front of my mirror now, instead of hiding from it. I have a way to go still, but seeing the progress is FUN!. Enjoy it! :happy:
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I think that is a great "aha" moment and I saw revel in it! I am happy for your accomplishment and thrilled for you that you are experiencing this rewarding feeling!
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I totally know what you mean! I think that we have earned the right to be vain. It gives us fuel to carry on!
  • inguvap
    inguvap Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to this. I only lost about 13 (4 before I joined MFP), but I already like the new me.I linger in front of the mirror after taking shower a little longer. I check myself in the mirrors in the gym while I am doing the bicep curls to appreciate my new found muscle. I do not think it is vanity.. I think it is our pride. We put in the hard work and let's enjoy the results.

Padma.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    haha I'm the same way!!!! :happy: My boyfriend does get tired of me talking about it and that annoys me but I can't help this. I'm trying to get healthy and this is the first time I've stuck to it this long!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!