AVOCADOS

Options
So I am having a hard time deciding how many cals for a LARGE avocado. I buy the big ones at costco. I have searched online and on here and every one is different. I really want to be sorta accurrate ya know. There is a Lg Hass one on here in the database and it days it is 190 cals...yet there is a small one on here that is 322 cals. WOW big difference. When I searched online one site said...150 for large and another said 235...HELP...who is right! I only eat 1/2 one every day, but really need to get it right since it is everyday and going over could be ruining my weightloss that is NOT happening lately! :sad: Maybe this is why. Any advice??? Oh the only thing the sticker says on the avocado is that it is from Mexico...THANKS

Replies

• neglet
    neglet Posts: 20
    Options
    Next time you prepare it, put it in a measuring cup and see how much you get. I always use "Avocados--Raw" and it gives me an option for "1 cup sliced" or "1 cup cubed." Depending on the size of the avocado, I can get 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup from a quarter fruit, but if you measure yours enough times you'll be able to eyeball how many cups it is and input it that way.
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I would recommend weighing the avocado (without skin and stone!). I just searched for avocado and under the MF entry of 'avocados, raw', it has values per 100g. :-)
  • TXBlockhead
    TXBlockhead Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Ugh! I hate that! I was looking at potatoes today and there are several different ones and they are all different calories. I wish sometimes that MFP had people list where their info came from.
  • cherie2304
    cherie2304 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    When you go to the grocery store there should be a book in the produce section that does list all nutritional info for all the produce. I'm pretty sure they would have information on the avocado
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Good question. We have avocado trees in our backyard, so I am always adding the green mush to everything. Calorie wise, according to the California Avocado Growers Assoc, there is about 50 calories per 1 oz of avocado. Your best bet is to weigh the avocado without skin and seed and go from there. If you want more nutritional info, check out this website.

http://www.avocado.org/
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food and use the values that don't have * by them in the database. As far as I can tell, those values were imported from the USDA food database. I trust that for accuracy over most other sources. Weighing is so important because terms like "large" are so relative and subjective.

If we don't know how much the avocado weighs (minus skin & pit as someone else noted above), there's no way we can give you an accurate(ish) calorie count.