Granola bars??

Options
I've been advised by many people to eat a granola bar post-workout, but I also read they cause weight gain. I'm commited to a 1200-calorie diet plan and doing Insanity workouts, will these bars cause me to gain weight??

Replies

• psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    No particular food causes weight gain. Too much food causes weight gain.

You do NOT have to eat after you work out. You should eat when you are hungry.

Also, 1200 calories is usually not enough. Go here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013 and figure out what's appropriate.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I look at the labels on granola bars, laugh, and put them back again. Marshmallows, high-fructose corn syrup, "soy bits", fake chocolate coating, chemicals I can't pronounce.

I don't eat anything in particular after a workout- as a previous poster said, I eat when I'm hungry. You'd be better off with a piece of fruit.
  • Sara91Helal
    Sara91Helal Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    But don't I need post-workout food to recover especially after a vigorous workout??
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    But don't I need post-workout food to recover especially after a vigorous workout??

Not unless you are hungry.

http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/2011/10/post-workout-nutrition/

Edited for better article.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    1200 calories while doing Insanity is disturbingly low.

Meal timing is mostly irrelevant. Eating right after a workout does nothing special, no different the eating before the workout or 3 hours later. Hit your daily goals (after figuring them out correctly,) don't worry about specific times to eat.
  • Sara91Helal
    Options
    This's confusing...
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    There is a huge difference between these two -
    08770849000_20110909080130356

and a homemade protein/granola bar.

just cause it is a granola bar doesn't mean it should go in your body.
  • blibby33
    blibby33 Posts: 53
    Options
    I was told that if I want to eat after a workout to make sure that I eat protein becuase that will help with making sure that the body allows the workout to continue working. But if you eat a processed carb right after working out then it will stop getting the affects from the workout an hour after the workout. This is what my nutritionists told me. If this makes sense, I am sorry if I am not explaining it right.
  • Sara91Helal
    Options

Meal timing is mostly irrelevant. Eating right after a workout does nothing special, no different the eating before the workout or 3 hours later. Hit your daily goals (after figuring them out correctly,) don't worry about specific times to eat.

I need to lose weight.. And surprisingly, 1200 calories with insanity got me plateauing for 3 weeks!
  • Sara91Helal
    Options
    There is a huge difference between these two -
    08770849000_20110909080130356

and a homemade protein/granola bar.

just cause it is a granola bar doesn't mean it should go in your body.

I understand that processed food in general isn't advisable, but calorie-wise, do 85 calories post-workout cause weight gain?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE to do anything.

What works for one person, might not be so good for another.

If you're doing a very intense strength workout, then protein afterwards can help to repair the muscles. Chocolate milk is a popular recommendation.

There's a huge variety in granola bars - many are little more than sugar, so choose wisely. I'd go for those pre-workout rather than afterwards, though.
  • Sara91Helal
    Options

If you're doing a very intense strength workout, then protein afterwards can help to repair the muscles. Chocolate milk is a popular recommendation.

There's a huge variety in granola bars - many are little more than sugar, so choose wisely. I'd go for those pre-workout rather than afterwards, though.

I see, but pre-workout food drives me to a lot of panting and sometimes it makes me sick..
    Would a bar pre-workout be lighter than a regular meal??
  • Nicole65
    Nicole65 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

I see, but pre-workout food drives me to a lot of panting and sometimes it makes me sick..
    Would a bar pre-workout be lighter than a regular meal??

I usually can't eat for a few hours before an intense workout, or it says hello to me the entire time I'm working out which is very annoying. So I'm usually pretty hungry after my workout, I bring protein powder and mix it up in my car and drink it on the way home from the workout. I find that if I don't do this then I'm foraging for food when I get home and if I don't have a healthy meal handy then I make bad decisions.

As others suggested, it's really up to you and what your body is telling you, if you're hungry after the workout then eat something that will fill you up and give you energy - I probably wouldn't suggest a sugar laden granola bar that probably won't satiate you for long.
  • Sara91Helal
    Options
    Thanks everybody for suggestions... :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

I need to lose weight.. And surprisingly, 1200 calories with insanity got me plateauing for 3 weeks!

Because your body is starving and is stocking up all the fat it can. You won't lose weight that way.

Eat more. And try a protein bar instead of a granola bar (and one without too much junk in it).
  • wmphimu
    wmphimu Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    To answer your original question - I really like the Kashi pumpkin spice flax bars. They are crunchy and healthy. They are what my trainer recommended for a post-workout snack, since some protein and carbs is good post-workout. As others suggested, a glass of chocolate milk is also really good.