I will have loose skin.

Options
I used to be morbidly obese and now I am simply overweight with BMI of 27.

My tits are gone and there is no skin around there.

However, I am not confident I will have some skin under and around my bellybutton.

What does one do to get rid of it? Is surgery the only option?

Replies

• janestoaster
    janestoaster Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Not sure, so please don't take this as gospel but I was told that if you lose weigh at a gradual, sensible pace the skins elastic will mean you shouldn't have too much lose skin, but if you lose it too quick you will. Again, not sure if this is right and if anyone else know please let me know too cause I have to admit, I'm a bit worried about this too.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I lost 90 lbs and have no loose skin whatsoever.

So no, it is not your destiny. It's possible of course since everybody is different, there is absolutely a chance you won't have any.
  • Dulcemami4ever
    Dulcemami4ever Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Not everyone will get loose skin. I think its based on genetics and how long you have been that way. I hear using an exfoliator scrub and vitamin E oil or capsules will help in repairing loose skin. But a lot of it is also time. They say to wait a bit after losing weight so that the skin has the chance to go back to normal. By the way congratz on your weight loss :) GL to you! :flowerforyou:
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    At 23 there's a very good chance you won't have any loose skin at all. Your skin is still very elastic and can adapt to your smaller size and tighten up. You'll have to keep the stretch marks unless you have some laser surgery though they really aren't that bad. I have some stretch marks on my arms from when I once bulked up to try to add some more muscle. I found out that it was much better to gain slowly and not have to diet off the rest but I got stuck with some stretch marks but they really don't bother me.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I wondered that too but here is my thinking... loose skin or big belly? I would rather have the loose skin
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Alot of it is based on genetics, and how long you were overweight. Everyone is different. Keep hydrated and moisturized. What is going to go back..will. If it doesn't all go back there is always surgery...or live with it. I have loose skin now and it gets worse daily :happy: I figure its better than fat filled skin any day of the week. For me, what doesnt go back a year after I get to goal will just get surgically removed!
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I lost 90 lbs and have no loose skin whatsoever.

So no, it is not your destiny. It's possible of course since everybody is different, there is absolutely a chance you won't have any.

This. I lost 113 lbs and have very little loose saggy skin. My body is not perfect but I am toning up and I think I look oretty damn good considering. Try strength training to help with it. It also does depend on how long you were overweight and how quickly you lost it.
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have some loose skin, but my skin is not very elastic... the slower you lose the weight, the better, and skin does resolve a lot of looseness over time. Even though I have some loose skin, I still look smoking hot!
  • simplynaturalfarm
    simplynaturalfarm Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I wondered that too but here is my thinking... loose skin or big belly? I would rather have the loose skin

I was gonna say this - LIKE!
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    This is also a concern of mine.

So far, I am good. Although I still have about 40-50 pounds to go (for a total of 80-90 pounds). I've noticed recently that my arms are like bat wings, or will be, so I started to do some arm exercises. I plan on starting weights soon too.
  • simplynaturalfarm
    simplynaturalfarm Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    ;
  • cherilyn666
    cherilyn666 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I used to have a BIG gut, as you can see from the picture. I don't think it can tighten up.

And I don't want it to look like a giant *kitten*. I have two of those already.

fatpeopler.jpg
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I used to have a BIG gut, as you can see from the picture. I don't think it can tighten up.

And I don't want it to look like a giant *kitten*. I have two of those already.

fatpeopler.jpg

You look great! You don't think you can tighten up? I bet you could!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 50 pounds too fast (1200 calorie diet!) so I do have some loose skin at my lower abdomen. I have read up on this a lot and most reputable sources say it can take up to 2 years after your loss for your elasticity to return.

What I have found works for me in the meantime is the following:

1. stay hydrated
    2. heavy lift adn eat at a reasonable deficit (burn fat)
    3. moisturize every day x2
    4. Use vitamin E oil at bedtime (sticky)

I have seen improvement with these tools and am hopeful that even at 42 years old the sag will go completely away in time.
  • cherilyn666
    cherilyn666 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 50 pounds at a 600 calorie diet, so I know exactly what you mean.

Thanks all.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I am in my mid 40's, have lost weight gradually (over 100 lbs), have good genes, lift heavy and stay hydrated (I drink plenty of water and moisterise). I have a bit of a flabby belly and my boobs aren't what they were, but I would still feel confident wearing a bikini.

You can do certain things to minimise loose skin, but cannot guarantee against it. The younger you are, the more likely your skin is likely to retain its elasticity, and genes are a major contributor. Whatever happens, you will in all likelihood look better at a healthy weight than obese.

Good luck.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    i think from your pics it will be fine in a year or so, especially if you lift a little!

good job!
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Seeing you guys saying that losing slowly helps reduce loose skin makes me a little thankful that I only lost 30 lbs last year!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I've lost 80 pounds with no loose skin. Granted, I've accomplished this over a 3.5 year period, so I haven't lost weight quickly. I've also done a lot of weight lifting as I've lost which I think helped.
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 50 pounds too fast (1200 calorie diet!) so I do have some loose skin at my lower abdomen. I have read up on this a lot and most reputable sources say it can take up to 2 years after your loss for your elasticity to return.

What I have found works for me in the meantime is the following:

1. stay hydrated
    2. heavy lift adn eat at a reasonable deficit (burn fat)
    3. moisturize every day x2
    4. Use vitamin E oil at bedtime (sticky)

I have seen improvement with these tools and am hopeful that even at 42 years old the sag will go completely away in time.

This^^ I was going to say the same thing. My Mum lost alot of weight and so did a good friend of mine, they were both told by their Dr's it can take up to 2 years for the skin to shrink back after loosing lots of weight. The older you are the harder it is but as you are young that won't be a factor for you. Work out, hydrate and carry on doing what you're doing.