I love smoothies but hate bananas

Options

Replies

• drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Couldn't go near bananas when I was preggers. Now I don't go near them because they are the higher sugar fruit, Being prediabetic and all. So I put in a handful of raspberries and blueberries, milk and water, protein powder and a cube of frozen spinach and sometimes cinnamon, and a tablespoon of peanut butter. Mix it up and that's my morning smoothie.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    1 cup yogurt
    1/4 cup orange juice
    3/4 cups of berries (fresh or frozen)
    1 scoop protein powder (I love Designer Whey French Vanilla.)
    1 tbsp flaxseed or chia seeds
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    if only.....there was a way.....to make a smoothie ...using other fruits instead of bananas. if only....there were websites....devoted entirely to recipes. if only.....someone would invent a way.....to search the internet......for recipes

ah well. hopefully someone wikked smaht invents this stuff in the future
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    1 cup yogurt
    1/4 cup orange juice
    3/4 cups of berries (fresh or frozen)
    1 scoop protein powder (I love Designer Whey French Vanilla.)
    1 tbsp flaxseed or chia seeds

That sounds lovely, thank you.

For some reason, I'm always a little leery of mixing citrus with yogurt but always pleasantly surprised when I do. I've mixed in lemon pulp and grated lemon peel into plain Greek yogurt before with excellent results, so I'll have to try being a little more adventurous in smoothies, too.
  • SusanleeBee
    SusanleeBee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    if only.....there was a way.....to make a smoothie ...using other fruits instead of bananas. if only....there were websites....devoted entirely to recipes. if only.....someone would invent a way.....to search the internet......for recipes

Don't be a jerk, this is the food and nutrition board, which seems like a place one would go for this sort of recipe.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Don't be a jerk, this is the food and nutrition board, which seems like a place one would go for this sort of recipe.

He is not a jerk. He is smart.
  • aimforhealthy
    Options
    I would assume smart would be not making idiotic, condescending assumptions without reading the thread first, but maybe I have different definitions of smart.
  • _rozamu
    _rozamu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas here! Its getting close to being warm enough to make my morning smoothies again :)
  • SusanleeBee
    SusanleeBee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I would assume smart would be not making idiotic, condescending assumptions without reading the thread first, but maybe I have different definitions of smart.

Yes, that!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Add chocolate peanut butter to your chocolate smoothie. Delicious and nutritious!

Zara
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Still doesn't change what he said. I looked up non-banana smoothie recipes on google and a lot popped up. So...I say Dav is one smart cookie :)
  • aimforhealthy
    Options
    Still doesn't change what he said. I looked up non-banana smoothie recipes on google and a lot popped up. So...I say Dav is one smart cookie :)
    Right, but the purpose of this message board - on which one could argue not a single piece of content that is 100% unique to MFP can be found - is to speak to others about food, weight loss, nutrition and fitness. Conversation doesn't happen on Google searches; the purpose of this board is to engage in dialogue with others in the same boat as me and there's no need to be humiliating to someone *simply because they want to use this board for what it's here for*.
  • MsJourno
    MsJourno Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You can totally do without bananas.....any pulpy fruit does great as a substitut: kiwis, guavas, avocados, mangoes, papayas, you have any number of them,

I love this one. Try this and you will absolutely love it,
    Papaya-1 cup chopped or mango 1 cup chopped or 3 large persimmons or 1 cup, a combination of all three
    Carrots-2 large
    Orange-1 large
    Yellow Peppers-2 large
    1 sweet potato
    3 oz greek yogurt
    1 tbsp chia seeds (presoaked)
    1 cup almond or soy milk
    1 scoop protein powder
    1 tsp peanut butter (optional)

Not only is the color and taste awesome, the protein is amazing too,,,,,you can drink just this all day long.

I do breakfast smoothies almost every day, and except on days that I do green smoothies, I almost never use bananas. Add me, if you wish.
  • aimforhealthy
    Options
    Add chocolate peanut butter to your chocolate smoothie. Delicious and nutritious!

Zara
    I'm actually not a huge fan of peanut butter but maybe throwing in some almond butter as an emulsifier would be good! Thank you :)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options

found this one on youtube. I'm really gonna make it, thanks for the smoothie springboard!! :flowerforyou:

http://youtu.be/9wYst15p8hs
  • aimforhealthy
    Options
    You can totally do without bananas.....any pulpy fruit does great as a substitut: kiwis, guavas, avocados, mangoes, papayas, you have any number of them,

I love this one. Try this and you will absolutely love it,
    Papaya-1 cup chopped or mango 1 cup chopped or 3 large persimmons or 1 cup, a combination of all three
    Carrots-2 large
    Orange-1 large
    Yellow Peppers-2 large
    1 sweet potato
    3 oz greek yogurt
    1 tbsp chia seeds (presoaked)
    1 cup almond or soy milk
    1 scoop protein powder
    1 tsp peanut butter (optional)

Not only is the color and taste awesome, the protein is amazing too,,,,,you can drink just this all day long.

I do breakfast smoothies almost every day, and except on days that I do green smoothies, I almost never use bananas. Add me, if you wish.
    That sounds AMAZING - love love love yellow bell peppers - but sounds like it would make a huge quantity, so I'd probably have to cut it down for serving size. No one else in my family likes smoothies, alas.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

why does it have to be either/or? can't i be both?
  • PikaKnight
    Options

found this one on youtube. I'm really gonna make it, thanks for the smoothie springboard!! :flowerforyou:

:laugh: WIN!
  • aimforhealthy
    Options

Perfect! Google is clearly the best place to look for nutrition advice. Just look how skinny and healthy that 8-year-old is ;)
  • PikaKnight
    Options

why does it have to be either/or? can't i be both?

Costs extra