I love smoothies but hate bananas

Options

Replies

• kinsellae
    kinsellae Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I recently tried one with avocado, mango and pineapple..and banana but I'm sure it's good without it also.
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    chia seeds may work to thicken the smoothie a bit because of the way they gel after sitting in liquid for a few minutes.
  • MrsBozz1
    MrsBozz1 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    My favorite smoothie is:
    Blueberry yogurt
    Blueberries/mixed berries (frozen)
    Spinach
    An Apple
    A Carrot
    And some flax seed
    I also add a banana (I love them) but I think it would be good without. I just love the healthiness! The blueberries are a very strong flavor, they cover about anything, except maybe bananas Lol! :laugh: Enjoy! :flowerforyou:
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I'm actually not a huge fan of peanut butter

. . . . . :noway:

tyrion_zps189feb6f.gif
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    chia seeds may work to thicken the smoothie a bit because of the way they gel after sitting in liquid for a few minutes.

Thanks! I've never tried chia seeds - as I said in the first post (which I realize people didn't read), I'm brand new to smoothie-making - and didn't realize they did that.
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I would assume smart would be not making idiotic, condescending assumptions without reading the thread first, but maybe I have different definitions of smart.
    Still doesn't change what he said. I looked up non-banana smoothie recipes on google and a lot popped up. So...I say Dav is one smart cookie :)

If you don't like the question, don't answer. I'm pretty sure someone could find fault with almost every question post out there. But if these posts weren't made, it wouldn't be much of a message board since it would be empty. Perhaps she didn't want to read a bunch of random recipes. She wanted ideas from folks who had tried them. Seriously, I get it, posts get repeated, or a google search would give them an answer. So what? Is there someone there forcing you to read them?
  • aimforhealthy
    Options
    My favorite smoothie is:
    Blueberry yogurt
    Blueberries/mixed berries (frozen)
    Spinach
    An Apple
    A Carrot
    And some flax seed
    I also add a banana (I love them) but I think it would be good without. I just love the healthiness! The blueberries are a very strong flavor, they cover about anything, except maybe bananas Lol! :laugh: Enjoy! :flowerforyou:
    Nooooope they don't cover banana-taste! :laugh: What kind of blueberry yogurt do you like?
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I can't vouch for the taste, but a lot of people sub silken tofu for banana. I try to limit my soy so I haven't tried it. And yes, a banana-less smoothie tastes very different. I like my smoothies much more with bananas because of the texture. I hate to be this jerk, but have you tried a smoothie with a half or even whole banana with other fruits in it? I can never taste any hint of banana in smoothies that have them, they are just so much better.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Maybe give some butternut squash a try?
  • aimforhealthy
    Options
    I can't vouch for the taste, but a lot of people sub silken tofu for banana. I try to limit my soy so I haven't tried it. And yes, a banana-less smoothie tastes very different. I like my smoothies much more with bananas because of the texture. I hate to be this jerk, but have you tried a smoothie with a half or even whole banana with other fruits in it? I can never taste any hint of banana in smoothies that have them, they are just so much better.
    Yeah, tofu isn't terrible, but it does have a very distinct taste I don't love. You're not a jerk! I have indeed tried just a little, but I'm very, very averse to it, and it still really grosses me out. Thank you, though <3
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Oh gosh. Ice cream. Yes, ice cream. I would go with non-dairy but YMMV. There is a no sugar added vegan one that I only like in a smoothie or shake.
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    He is not a jerk. He is smart.

why does it have to be either/or? can't i be both?

I hate multiple choice questions with no "right" answer. There always seems to be something fundamentally unfulfilling about them. :-(

You don't need to necessarily look for recipes. Just mix stuff that you like in there. I mix protein powder with some almond milk, greek yougurt and an apple.
    Or take any recipe that calls for a banana and replace the banana with a fruit you like.
    [/quote]

Absolutely agree! It gives me 30 minutes in the morning to be creative & try and find out how different ingredients work together. Plus worst case scenario is I can't stand it, and force 1 of my kids to try it. Then I get to see that look of terror & disgust; followed by them running to brush their teeth....WIN!
  • summersbest
    summersbest Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of bananas either unless it is in bread or muffins so this is what I use for my smoothies. It makes 2 cups and a great way to get lots of protein.

1 cup skim milk
    1/4 cup Danone Silhouette 0% stirred greek yogourt - vanilla twist
    1/2 cup frozen strawberries or mango
    1 scoop Bulk Barn whey protein isolate 90% - plain
    1 packet Stevia
    1 tbsp. ground flaxseeds
    2 ice cubes

I was originally using just plain greek yogourt but really like the vanilla one. Adds a nice taste, especially with the mango. ~
  • aimforhealthy
    Options
    Oh gosh. Ice cream. Yes, ice cream. I would go with non-dairy but YMMV. There is a no sugar added vegan one that I only like in a smoothie or shake.
    Yum! Now that summer's coming up, I'll definitely be throwing in some frozen yogurt into my smoothies :)
    I'm not a fan of bananas either unless it is in bread or muffins so this is what I use for my smoothies.

1 cup skim milk
    1/4 cup Danone Silhouette 0% stirred greek yogourt - vanilla twist
    1/2 cup frozen strawberries or mango
    1 scoop Bulk Barn whey protein isolate 90% - plain
    1 packet Stevia
    1 tbsp. ground flax seeds
    2 ice cubes

That sounds like a combination where you can easily substitute things and still have it come out pretty good. Thanks!
  • 21Blondie
    21Blondie Posts: 10
    Options
    Avocado + Milk + honey = amazing (although one of the higher-calorie options)

Also you can try using peanut butter (a little goes a long way)/silken tofu for that texture?

For the sweetness, use dates :) (soaking them in bicarb of soda softens them as well)
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    I have a strong aversion to banana-flavored or scented anything. I'm not picky about any other kind of food, but when it comes to bananas, even a minor whiff turns my stomach. I love smoothies, but it seems like 80% of recipes I find for them include bananas - and never, ever in a way that hides the flavor and texture enough for me.

Lately I've been sticking to making protein shakes with EAS Soy Chocolate Protein Powder, 12 oz of unsweetened almond milk and a handful of frozen berries, and those are pretty awesome, but now that I'm in a smoothie phase, I'd like to get into green smoothies and other breakfast smoothies and was wondering what everybody's favorite banana-less smoothies are. Thanks!

nanners are GROSS!!!!!!!! I love to add apples to mine! <3
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    smoothies are great, .... with or with out bananas. yogurt, fruit and/or juice. its kind of simple to be frank
  • summersbest
    summersbest Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a combination where you can easily substitute things and still have it come out pretty good. Thanks

You're more than welcome. ~
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have a strong aversion to banana-flavored or scented anything. I'm not picky about any other kind of food, but when it comes to bananas, even a minor whiff turns my stomach.

Great post, I thought I was a rarity because I have the same aversion to bananas!!! :noway:

I can taste the slightest bit of banana so using half or less doesn't work. I'm very sensitive to it.

I'm excited to try non-nanner smoothie ideas :drinker: Thanks everyone :flowerforyou:

Slainte!
  • aimforhealthy
    Options
    Soaked dates are another thing I'm new to using :) I was afraid they were going to be like raisins, which I love by themselves but don't love the ummm chunkiness in smoothies, if you know what I mean - but no, they're subtler and not as chunky!
    I thought I was a rarity because I have the same aversion to bananas!!!

Thank you! :flowerforyou: I can't even take things like "banana pudding" that have no actual banana content and just smell like them, ewwww. Everyone's mileage varies, of course!