How to use up bananas?

Options

Replies

• jjspw
    jjspw Posts: 2
    Options
    You can make your own granola bars. Just mix some oats, mashed bananas, honey/agave, shredded coconut, nuts, dried fruits, hemp or flax seeds, a small splash of coconut oil, whatever else you want to add. Mix it until it sort of sticks together in a lump. Press into a 9"x9" pan. Bake at 350F for about 30 minutes.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Freeze them! When I need to use up bananas before they go bad I cut them up and freeze them in little bags (one banana per bag).

This morning I took two bags (two bananas) and put it into a blender with strawberries, yogurt, a bit of water and some spinach and blended it up for a smoothie. It was amazing!! Less than 200 calories as well as it made three smaller smoothies (or two normal size ones).
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    slice them up, put them in a flat layer between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and freeze (after they're frozen, you can either fold up the "sheet" to take up less space or put them in a ziploc baggie). eat a couple of slices for a yummy frozen treat - add a little organic almond butter (or chocolate almond butter) for an added bonus! but stay away from nutella (too much sugar - 21g!) - organic chocolate hazelnut butter is so much better (only 7g of sugar and the taste is out of this world)!
  • nicole_andan
    Options
    send them to me! I ONLY eat bananas when they are brown!
  • fayefern
    fayefern Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Bump sounds good!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I peel them, throw the peels on the sidewalk, and lie in wait for hilarity to ensue.
  • PrayerMiracle
    Options
    love this :)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I bought some bananas at the weekend and don;t think I'm gonna eat them because i HATE eating them when they are even a little bit brown!!

has anyone got any recipes that contain bananas that i can use? preferably a recipe that has calorie information with it :)

Guilt-Raisin Free Oatmeal Cookies

2.jpg

http://eatyourselfskinny-printablerecipes.blogspot.com/2013/03/clean-oatmeal-raisin-cookies.html

" Let me just begin by saying, these cookies have absolutely NO eggs, oil, sugar or butter.....BOOM. A winner in my book already. Now I'm well aware those ingredients pretty much encompass everything that people love about a cookie, but these taste insanely good and without the guilt!

Believe it or not they taste a lot like banana bread, probably because bananas are used as the main component which hold all the ingredients together. I subbed plain Greek yogurt for the oil and sweetened these up with some vanilla extract, cinnamon and allspice. I promise you, this recipe is definitely worth saving and is great for a quick breakfast when you're on the go. They also freeze really well too! " ~ Kelly ~

Servings: 20
    Serving Size: 1 cookie
    Calories: 88
    Fat: 3.3 g
    Carbs: 14.5 g
    Fiber: 1.8 g
    Protein: 1.8 g
    Old Points: 1.7 pts
    Points+: 2 pts

Here are your ingredients:

1 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
    1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
    1/2 tsp. sea salt
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. allspice
    1/2 cup mixed nuts, finely chopped (I used pecans, walnuts and almonds)
    1 cup raisins
    3 ripe bananas, mashed
    1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
    1 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In one bowl, combine rolled oats, coconut flakes, salt, cinnamon, allspice and chopped mixed nuts. Stir in raisins and set aside.

In a smaller bowl, whisk together mashed bananas, Greek yogurt and vanilla extract until smooth and all lumps are gone. Pour over dry ingredients and mix well.

Using a round cookie cutter (or shape with your hands), spoon mixture into the cutter pressing firmly then removing the cutter. Shape should keep form; do this until you have 20 cookies or you run out of batter.

Bake at 350 degrees F for about 15 to 20 minutes and enjoy!

2 Ingredient Banana Pancakes

1 egg
    2 ripe bananas

Mix together and all the pancakes it makes is one serving. Tasty too!

I found this recipe a month ago, and I love these cookies! I put 2 bananas, 1 cup quick oats, and 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips.
    Use a tablespoon to scoop out the dough and then press it flat on a greased baking sheet. (they won't flatten out on their own when cooking). Bake at 375 for about 15 minutes. Best right out of the oven.
    Thanks, I'll give these a try, love simple recipes!
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    Banana bread, smoothies, muffins... I have a Yonana maker which turns bananas and other fruit into ice cream. I also keep a tub of strawberry yogurt in my fridge and make my own parfait. I usually add some banana in there
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Mash them up with some oats and bake them as cookies. They are so yummy and no sugar added!
    I'm going to try this one too! Sounds delicious!
    Do this! It's delicious! Smells like banana bread baking. I add some vanilla and cinnamon to mine. You can do it by using approximately 1 banana per 1/2 cup of quick cooking oats. Bake 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes depending on the size. Here's the recipe I started using:

http://www.theburlapbag.com/2012/07/2-ingredient-cookies-plus-the-mix-ins-of-your-choice/

I'll have to try these with pb2
  • elpiper
    elpiper Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Banana bread, smoothies, muffins... I have a Yonana maker which turns bananas and other fruit into ice cream. I also keep a tub of strawberry yogurt in my fridge and make my own parfait. I usually add some banana in there

i bought the Yonana maker today and it is THE ABSOLUTE BEST ice cream/soft serve i've had in a long time! it was so good and got rid of bananas that otherwise i would have thrown out.
  • mnm424
    mnm424 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Freeze them. Then put them in the food processor with a little milk and you get banana ice cream. You have to eat it straight away though.

ooooohhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do that!! but I add PB as well
  • dynamohum
    dynamohum Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Mash really well, mix one with a cup and a half of oats and about 10 tablespoons of chocolate PB2 powder, (a peanut butter powder)spoon onto a baking sheet, bake on 375 for about 8 to 10 minutes, makes about 20 cookies. , 40 cal each, I think the recipe is in the database, Chocolate PB2 banana oat cookies. enjoy
  • emczech5
    emczech5 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Banana Cookies

3 ripe bananas
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1/2 cup applesauce
    2 1/2 cups rolled oats
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
    1/2 cup chocolate chips (or try raisins, craisins, dates, apple chunks, etc.)

Preheat oven to 350F. Mash bananas and lemon juice with a fork. Add applesauce, oats, spices and vanilla to banana mixture. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop small spoonfuls of dough onto a lightly greased cookie sheet. Flatten cookie drops into cookie shapes. (These cookies do not spread so they will stay in whatever shape you bake them in.) Bake for 20-25 minutes.

http://acraftycook.blogspot.com/2012/08/healthy-oatmeal-banana-cookies.html
  • imncontrolofme
    imncontrolofme Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bump, thanks they all sound delicious!
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I break up into about 2" pieces and freeze for my smoothies.
  • cedexvegan
    cedexvegan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Super simple 'banana cookies':
    2 bananas mashed (more ripe is better)
    1 C old fashioned oats (not instant)

That's all you need, but add-ins are good too. I have made a chocolate version using pure cocoa powder (no sweeteners or milk).
    Cinnamon, raw cashews (chopped); chia seeds (adds protein); craisins, raisins, etc. (not too many, they are empty calories in a way)...use your imagination.

Use a silicone mat on your baking sheet, or light oil spray, to keep them from sticking. If using a baking pan, spray lightly with oil.

Bake in a preheated oven at 350° for about 12-15 minutes. I made this last weekend in an 8x8 inch baking pan, and it worked well. They are more bread-like than cookie. I ate them as breakfast bars throughout the week.
  • blueyegirl0712
    blueyegirl0712 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I sliced them up then freeze them. Then when I need a treat I dip them in peanut butter. So good!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    Is the banana brown or the just peel?

Just the peel? Eat the fruit, don't be a weenie.

Brown fruit? Blender with with milk, ice, and chocolate syrup.