First 5k- Zombie Escape @ Panic Point

Options
I had to walk a lot more than I thought I would, but I was able to SPRINT through the zombies, and managed to finish with one of my flags still attached!

I weigh 100.7 kg, and my body fat is 46.7%. I was the fattest person there, but there were a couple of people who were almost as fat as me. There were also plenty of short people.

I did one of the obstacles twice to help a short lady who could not get her feet from one plank to the next. I went under, and let her use me as an extra step. There was another obstacle where you had to climb over a wall, and I could not reach the first grip. Two buff dudes boosted my fat *kitten* up to there.

EVERYONE helps each other on these things, so NO ONE should be afraid to try! My body is absolutely rebelling against me right now, but it was totally worth it! (Wet lungs, and no voice left. Yikes!)

Most of the obstacles are in the woods, but my husband was able to get a few photos of me from the "Spectator" area.

Freezing before the race! My mother in law brought me a sweater to wear until I started.
qZjqRAkl.jpg

Sprinting through the first cluster of zombies- SMURF zombies!
CpPH2GUl.jpg

Top of the first obstacle, and still relatively clean. That mud is slick, and there is nothing to grab onto! (I lost my shoes in the squishy mud underwater and had to root around for them a minute. Good thing this was not very deep.)
LZgk5jsl.jpg

The water was five and a half feet deep here! I am 5'3, and couldn't touch the bottom with even the tips of my toes- Good thing I LOVE to swim!
eJJqze6l.jpg

Victory!
vFO4K46l.jpg

Replies

• xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Congrats on finishing it! It looks like fun!
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    There were 22(?) obstacles total. I had to walk around two of them. One was a wall that you had to press against sideways, and my fat just pushed me right off. The other was the monkey bars at the end. I could not reach them, and was afraid of hurting my ankles if I dropped all my weight on them in the water pit below. There was a VERY shapely gal ahead of me who fell in twice, and I guess it psyched me out a bit.

Still, I did all the other challenges, and finished in 65 minutes. That's good enough for me! :bigsmile:
  • JenniferEM2012
    JenniferEM2012 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Reading this made me look up up one of these races in my area. July 28 here I come. Thank you for sharing this.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Options
    Reading this made me look up up one of these races in my area. July 28 here I come. Thank you for sharing this.

AWESOME! Good luck to you! You won't believe how fun it is until after you have done it! I can't wait for the Ninja Challenge next month, and will probably sign up for this one again in September! :-D
  • Fighting4Healthy
    Fighting4Healthy Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you finished! I just looked up one for my area too! I'm so excited to try one of these!
  • amymina
    amymina Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    That looks like so much fun, good for u!!
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Options
    ZOMG!!!
    I expected to find my name at the absolute BOTTOM of the list!

You only get an official time if you keep at least one of your flags, so people who finished with no flags are on a seperate "infected" list.

Of the uninfected Individuals, I placed 296th out of 836.
    In my age group (women 30-39) I placed 40th out of 152!

Now I really feel like a superstar! :-D
  • sorting
    sorting Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Awesome work! What a great idea for a 5k fun run.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    YAYYYYYYYY!

You made it back alive, and you sound so happy! I'm so glad you did it--way proud of you, lady.

That last photo is AWESOME--says it all.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    ZOMG!!!
    I expected to find my name at the absolute BOTTOM of the list!

You only get an official time if you keep at least one of your flags, so people who finished with no flags are on a seperate "infected" list.

HIGH FIVE! Yep, you did great! :heart:
  • acrowder99
    acrowder99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! This was a great story. I have been thinking about doing one of these zombie runs & I believe you've talked me into it.

Congrats on your success & your race stats!!
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Options
    Thanks, Lupercalia! <3

You should definitely do one, A Crowder! In the changing tent afterward, there was a lady talking about how she had never touched mud in her life, and had never been dirty before- now she can't wait to do another!

It's a really awesome feeling that I can't even put into words. Lupercalia's right- that last photo says it all! :-D
  • Maybecrzy
    Maybecrzy Posts: 6 Member
    Options

As you should ! Your enthusiasm is contagious!

Congratulations.
  • rdcphone572
    rdcphone572 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You are a ROCK STAR! Way to go! You put yourself out there and you literally grabbed the brass ring (which was a flag in this case). Yeaaa girl...you got it going on! Keep grabbing those flags on your journey!
  • acrowder99
    acrowder99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You should definitely do one, A Crowder! In the changing tent afterward, there was a lady talking about how she had never touched mud in her life, and had never been dirty before- now she can't wait to do another!

It's a really awesome feeling that I can't even put into words. Lupercalia's right- that last photo says it all! :-D

As soon as one comes around here I am going for it!
  • shamrockit
    shamrockit Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Looks like you had a blast...great accomplishment!
  • sherri33s
    sherri33s Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    That looks like a lot of fun. YOU ARE A SUPERSTAR!!!
  • Smoothtacular
    Smoothtacular Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This looks awesome. And they're doing one in NJ. I'm so doing this... glad I followed my instinct to click on anything with "zombie" in the title.. thank you for bringing this up and great job!
  • oomalmal
    oomalmal Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You've just inspired me. There's going to be one in Austin, TX in December, and I'm hoping I'll be there!
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Options
    I would strongly encourage everyone to look for something like this near you. A friend of mine in Australia said something along the lines of how cool it must be to live in America, because Australia doesn't have anything cool like this. I googled "Australia zombie mud run" and found one with four locations- one near him!

It's easy to think you live in a lame location, because what is everyday to us is "lame." NC is a TERRIBLE state to me. Austin is an isolated paradise in an otherwise awful state, and Oomalmal has found one for herself there! (GL Oomalmal! It's going to be SO COLD, but totally fun and worth every shiver!)

Try googling "Yourtown, USA 5k" and see what comes up. That is how I found the Ninja Challenge that I am doing next month. You will probably find a bunch of regular street 5ks for various charities you may or may not care about, but there are actually a lot of fun ones to be found. My sister in law just did a Color Run a couple weeks ago where you start out in a white tee shirt and end up covered head to toe in various splotches of color that they throw at you along the way. She had a blast, and did it with her two little girls! There are Dirty Girl mud runs, variously named "Warrior" obstacle courses/mud runs- one or two of which have you leap over FIRE! If there is country/a forest/a place that does hayrides in the fall near you, chances are good you can find yourself a mud run.

Good luck and have fun, everybody!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!