Anterior Pelvic Tilt

Options
After showing my progression photos to my brother, who is a personal trainer, it turns out I have an anterior pelvic tilt.

For those of you unfamiliar with the term, it is an apparently common condition in which the stomach and bum protrude, the lower back carries a deep arch, and the head pushes forward in the posture to naturally compensate for the lean of the body.

This condition is common in those who spend most of their day sitting at a desk, dut to shortened hip flexors from a constant sitting position. The hip flexors connect to the top of the pelvis, effectively pulling the pelvis forward when they shorten. According to the research I've done, some common causes for anterior pelvic tilt is lengthened hamstrings, shortened spinal erectors, and shortened hip flexors.

Example:
anterior-pelvic-tilt2.png

You're probably reading this and saying, "that's me!!". Well, here's how you can correct it:

- Kneel on your left knee with your right foot out in front as if you're doing a lunge. Square up your hips and keep your chest up so that you feel the stretch in your left hip flexor. Stretch the left hand straight up toward the sky and hold this pose for 30 seconds. Switch legs. Do this 3 times per side, every day. This will stretch the hip flexors and lengthen them.

- Twisting lunges: Do 10 long, forward lunges while keeping your hips square and torso up. Lower your back knee to the ground on each lunge and turn your body in the direction of the forward leg. This will stretch the hip flexors and tighten the ham strings.

- Bridges: Lie flat on your back with your knees perpendicular to the floor. Raise your body up until it is straight, with your feet and shoulders being the only contactp points on the floor. Put a small medicine ball between your knees and squeeze to flex your glutes. This will strengthen your glutes and spinal erectors.

- Front Planks: Lie face down on the ground as if about to do a push up, but rest your elbows and toes on the ground instead. Flatten out the body and push the pelvis forward. Work toward holding this for 2 minutes.

If anyone else has any great exercises for this condition, please feel free to share them. This is a very common condition that makes certain exercises dangerous due to pressure being applied in an imbalanced way.

Replies

• Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Beleau
    Beleau Posts: 143
    Options
    Thanks for the information
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HealthyEscape
    Options
    Bump :-) Thanks for the info!
  • carilyn39
    carilyn39 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jackflash007
    Options
    thanx for that :)
  • UltimateLover
    UltimateLover Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    Thanks for the info.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    bump
  • robinp00
    robinp00 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    No problem, everyone! Hope this helps you as much as I think it's going to help me :)
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that. Already do some of those at the moment but will include in regular stretching sessions :)
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    The iliopsoas muscle group is the one you're targeting...here's a youtube video that explains why they get short and tweaky and a good stretch to counter that tendency:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0j9kHFUZyQ
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I've suggested pilates to my boyfriend for the same issue. Also, just having him consciously tilt his pelvis the other way and draw in his navel when he is thinking about it. I used to have more of a problem with this, but overall core strengthening (pilates, yoga, balance work) has helped me tremendously.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    wow... this is me! Thanks for the info :flowerforyou: