what is the ideal weight that you think a 5 foot 4 girl should be

Replies

• ladybird1771
    ladybird1771 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for like 130-140 pounds :)
  • FluffyMcNutter
    Options
    "Ideal weight" is a really hard thing to define because of different bone structures and body types. 110 could look completely healthy on one girl who is 5'4" while another girl could look like she needs to eat a biscuit. At 140, those same girls might look overweight and completely healthy, respectively. IMO, weight is a poor measurement of anything important. Body fat % would be a much better tool.

Now that I'm off that soapbox, it looks like anything from the 110's to low 150's is considered healthy for that height.
  • sarski77
    sarski77 Posts: 79
    Options
    "Ideal weight" is a really hard thing to define because of different bone structures and body types. 110 could look completely healthy on one girl who is 5'4" while another girl could look like she needs to eat a biscuit. At 140, those same girls might look overweight and completely healthy, respectively. IMO, weight is a poor measurement of anything important. Body fat % would be a much better tool.

Now that I'm off that soapbox, it looks like anything from the 110's to low 150's is considered healthy for that height.

^^^^ This!

I'm 5'4'' - got down to 135 a couple of years ago and looked ill. 142 is approximately my goal.

Don't think about the number on the scales too much, think about how you look and re-assess your situation as the lbs come off.
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    It's totally relative. It's also a matter of taste.

I'd say about 110 pounds. But that's just my taste in girls.
  • sarski77
    sarski77 Posts: 79
    Options
    It's totally relative. It's also a matter of taste.

I'd say about 110 pounds. But that's just my taste in girls.

Borderline underweight girls? LOL

Not saying that all 5'4'' girls look ill at 110 pounds but you'd need to have a tiny frame to pull that off.
    110 pounds is not the norm for that height.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I agree about the weight being a poor judgement. I see people all the time here that are my height say they are down to something like 175 and are wearing size 8-10's. The highest I have ever been was 165 back in January and I was in a 12 jean and pushing out of my 14 dress pants. There is no way in the world I could have even squeezed my butt into a 8 or 10. I am 140 now and wear a 10 in jeans. I need to lose another 10lbs and then there is no guarantee I will lose my tummy. It is sticking to me like glue. If I was younger I would probably go for another 20lbs. I am 5'3". So if you are one of the women that can wear a size 8 at 175, then you probably wouldn't want to go much lower than 145-150.
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

Yes, exactly!
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 4 3/4" and I'm aiming for 125 which is about middle of the range for me. I'm at 168 now and when I get to 150 I plan on starting stronglifts 5x5,maybe sooner so that number may very well change.

Edited to add that I have a small frame.
  • TheNavet
    TheNavet Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I guess it really depends!
    I can personally pull off 125lbs just like I can too with around 115! Your muscle mass also plays an important roll!
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I agree about the weight being a poor judgement. I see people all the time here that are my height say they are down to something like 175 and are wearing size 8-10's. The highest I have ever been was 165 back in January and I was in a 12 jean and pushing out of my 14 dress pants. There is no way in the world I could have even squeezed my butt into a 8 or 10. I am 140 now and wear a 10 in jeans. I need to lose another 10lbs and then there is no guarantee I will lose my tummy. It is sticking to me like glue. If I was younger I would probably go for another 20lbs. I am 5'3".

If you carry your weight at your tummy, it will be the last to go. Well done on the weight loss!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

^^^^ This!

I'm 5'4'' - got down to 135 a couple of years ago and looked ill. 142 is approximately my goal.

Don't think about the number on the scales too much, think about how you look and re-assess your situation as the lbs come off.

I second this.

And just for reference, I am 5'4.5" tall, and I currently weigh 138. I certainly do NOT look ill, and I didn't when I was at 126 pounds a couple of years back.

I am trying to reduce body fat, not weight. I have no idea what I will weigh when I get to my goal, but I am currently 22% body fat trying to get down to 16% which is the higher end of the scale for female athletes and fitness competitors. I found this online calculator that uses current and goal body fat and current weight to try to determine your goal weight, and for me it came out to 121 pounds.
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 foot 5 1/2, and I'm aiming for 145 to start, and I may go down more. I would like to be strong, though, as well, and muscle weighs more than fat. I know there are websites out there that tell you what a good range is. I'll get back to you on that, if I find it. Maybe search "healthy bmi", and go for that goal.
  • FluffyMcNutter
    Options

Yes, exactly!

Someone's gotta like the petite girls. Might as well be you, right?

I love having petite girls as friends. When they annoy me, I can either shot put or leg press them away from me. :D
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 4" and currently weigh 122 lbs. I have a small frame. I have been all the way down to 110 lbs and I looked gaunt. I am aiming for 115. Even though it is only a 5 lb difference, it's actually comfortable for me and not too thin.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    These threads always amaze me that a) so many people care about what other people weigh and b) the vast array of acceptable weights and how people carry weight differently at the same height. I'm currently about 153lbs I think. I am 5 ft 4.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    These threads always amaze me that a) so many people care about what other people weigh and b) the vast array of acceptable weights and how people carry weight differently at the same height. I'm currently about 153lbs I think. I am 5 ft 4.

I think that's why I *like* these threads. If we see that there are so many other people that are similar in size as us that are vastly different in weight, it seems like it would help the scale addicted folks not get so stressed out about the scale. If someone looks awesome at 150 and someone else looks awesome at 120, then it makes no sense to set your own goal weight the same as either one, but it helps to show you that no matter what the scale says, you can look awesome, too. :drinker:
  • sexymuffintop
    Options

I think that's why I *like* these threads. If we see that there are so many other people that are similar in size as us that are vastly different in weight, it seems like it would help the scale addicted folks not get so stressed out about the scale. If someone looks awesome at 150 and someone else looks awesome at 120, then it makes no sense to set your own goal weight the same as either one, but it helps to show you that no matter what the scale says, you can look awesome, too. :drinker:

Very good point :flowerforyou:
  • laurajcrampton
    Options
    I'm 5ft 4 and weigh 63kg... In order to be a healthy weight, my Dr said I need to get to 57.5kg x
  • crlyxx
    crlyxx Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'd say 110, but like someone else said that's just complete personal preference. I don't think most people would notice too much difference between 110 and 120-130, but who knows.
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4.5" and aiming for 120-125lbs (that's where I was last year at this time and where I am most comfortable). I had a BF of 18% (currently 24%) and looked ripped, but got ill and put on 20lbs. trying to get back to where I am comfortable...