Its time to make a change.

Options
Hi. I'm new here. I recently had surgery on my knee and was told that I would have to have total knee replacement but I'm too young. That's quite a blow to someone that is 44 and worked hard manual labor for over 20 years. Then he proceeds to tell me that the type of work that I have done is a thing of the past and suggests that I get a desk job. I'm not one to sit behind a desk for very long as I have arthritis and if I sit still too long I get stiff. He recommends that I lose at least 120 lbs to take some of the wear and tear off my knees. I have been over weight most of my life. I have worked long hours most of the time 7 days a week so I didn't eat right. My girlfriend suggested this site cause I can access it from my phone and log my food intake and exercise. I have set my goals of 1-2 lbs a week. Eating low fat, low carb meals. Its not a diet but eating healthy from the 5 major food groups. My dietitian said my calorie intake should be no more than 1500 calories a day and no more than 53 grams of fat. She suggested keeping a journal as well. Its hard to carry around a notebook when you have this great program you can access from your phone and it does all the calculating for you. I'm looking forward to this journey of being healthy and in shape. Looking forward to making new friends along the way for support and to give support. :)

Replies

• Sarahsmiles0875
    Sarahsmiles0875 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Request sent! DO it to it!
  • BlessedOne2019
    BlessedOne2019 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You can do this! My husband was told he needed a double hip replacement almost 5 years ago. But the dr. said he wouldn't do it if he didn't stop drinking. My hubby immediately quit drinking, has had the surgeries, and is doing great. He needs to take off some weight, but nothing he can't do! You can too!
  • Kxgz
    Kxgz Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Request sent : ). You can do this!
  • Inkchick
    Inkchick Posts: 31
    Options
    you can do this! you have a great motivation and a plan :)
  • usflygirl55
    usflygirl55 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Hi! I wish you the BEST of luck on this journey. One of the great things about using this website is when you log everything here you can then use the "Reports" tab and print out various reports....including your exercise and food. No journal needed then, right? I have sent a friend request, so if I can help encourage you along the way, I will do my best. :)
  • michall68
    michall68 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! :)
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Wish you the best of luck. Congratulations on making this decision to be healthier.
  • Bekkah376
    Bekkah376 Posts: 23
    Options
    You've made a great decision coming to MFP... lots of support & information here! Welcome! :smile:
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I had bad knees when I began over 13 months ago here. They were so bad that walking up the stairs was painful. I did not even begin to exercise until I had lost 100 pounds last October. My knees have improved drastically from a year ago. I exercise everyday, and can actually run up the stairs, which I do many times per day (I got a fitbit in February, and it is the best motivator that I could ever imagine.) My knees are not perfect, but I can not expect any miracles as I am 61 years old and body parts do wear out.:smile:

You will see changes as well. Excess weight puts a lot of stress on joints. You may even notice improvement in your arthritis. I wish you all of the luck in the world! Log everything that you eat, drink a lot of water, take and give support from MFP, and try to move more. You will succeed, and feel like a new person!
  • michall68
    Options
    Thank you ktsmom430. I know the feeling of walking up stairs all too well. Even after the surgery. But the more I move the less it hurts. I'm looking forward to getting healthier and more active. :)
  • Lindabummy1
    Lindabummy1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You are in the right place with all the encouragement you can get on this site. Also there is so much information you can get here with a lot of motivation. I know you can do this! Much good luck to you.
  • EmkoChub
    EmkoChub Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Weight WILL damage your joints and shins. I speak from experience. Since last year i've gained 30lbs. When the sun finally came out i decided to start running only to find out a week later that my joins and shins were in drastic pain. Now i can't run anymore :( Last year i did not have this problem. I used to be a extreme runner running on concrete and non-flat terrain. It would take two months before i would start feeling any discomfort. Now 30+ pounds later i can barely walk without feeling pressure. It's that bad.
    So I'm on the eliptical trainer until i loose all this excess fat. Can't wait to start running again.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Hi friend. I had no choice about my knee replacements as I was bone on bone and fragments of bone was chipping away and I could barely walk to the car anymore. I had my first knee replacement at age 50 and the doc managed to break my leg in the process. My other knee was replaced at age 56 (2 years ago). According to my physician, every pound you lose, removes 4 pounds of pressure from your knees. So by all accounts, I have removed 528 pounds of pressure. My knees do limit some exercises per my ortho: no running, no jumping, no hopping, no skipping, etc. However most of my exercise has come via the pool: I started with water aerobics and then incorporated lap swimming. I also walk with the Leslie Sansone videos on You-Tube. I want to do so much more, but I've learned from injuries and lectures from my ortho what I can and cannot do.

So while there are a number of things I'm not allowed to do, I didn't let that stop me. I searched for the things I can do. I'll never be as fit as I want to be, but I am improving my health daily. My biggest NSV was the discontinuation of so many meds for high BP, high cholesterol and high triglycerides.

I highly recommend exercising in water for anyone with joint problems/replacements. It has worked miracles for me. XOXOXO
  • michall68
    Options
    They say for every pound it puts 4 pounds of pressure on your knees. I never thought about it till the doctor told me that. I used to be in track and very active when my children were little but when I became a single mother I had to work long hours with no time off to support my three children. We tend to let things in life get in the way but not anymore. This is what I call me time and I am making healthier choices and getting back to being active. I feel better too. You will get back to running and getting healthy. You got this!! :)
  • michall68
    Options
    Good morning. I know the feeling. There are some things that I cant do cause it causes so much pain but I try and find an easier way to do it so its not so much of an impact on my knees. Water aerobics is a great suggestion. I will have to check into the Y here tomorrow. Thanks dear. Your support is amazing. You have come a long way and doing a great job!! Keep up the good work!! :)
    Hi friend. I had no choice about my knee replacements as I was bone on bone and fragments of bone was chipping away and I could barely walk to the car anymore. I had my first knee replacement at age 50 and the doc managed to break my leg in the process. My other knee was replaced at age 56 (2 years ago). According to my physician, every pound you lose, removes 4 pounds of pressure from your knees. So by all accounts, I have removed 528 pounds of pressure. My knees do limit some exercises per my ortho: no running, no jumping, no hopping, no skipping, etc. However most of my exercise has come via the pool: I started with water aerobics and then incorporated lap swimming. I also walk with the Leslie Sansone videos on You-Tube. I want to do so much more, but I've learned from injuries and lectures from my ortho what I can and cannot do.

So while there are a number of things I'm not allowed to do, I didn't let that stop me. I searched for the things I can do. I'll never be as fit as I want to be, but I am improving my health daily. My biggest NSV was the discontinuation of so many meds for high BP, high cholesterol and high triglycerides.

I highly recommend exercising in water for anyone with joint problems/replacements. It has worked miracles for me. XOXOXO