cutting cost of healthy food

Options
Hey all, I shop at Publix and a few days of healthy food cost me a 100 dollars. Does shopping for healthy food at Target help? Any other ideas?

Replies

• bnorris2013
    bnorris2013 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Try an Aldi's

Also for fresh fruit and veggies check your local farmer markets or I know if you have flea market they have veggie people there and they generally offer way cheaper prices and if your buying a bunch you can probally talk them into a discount.
  • lucyricky2
    lucyricky2 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I always do my major shopping at aldis and what i can't find there go to wal-mart. My meat i buy from a local store and sentry when on sale. my local store has such good prices on fresh produce. it pays to shop around for the stores with the best deals
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Define healthy food. :huh: Are you shopping for salmon or chicken? Dried beans or gourmet french green beans? Organic everything or... The point I'm making is that there are a lot of healthy foods out there as well as unhealthy ones. :grumble: Some are always more expensive, like fresh Alaskan Salmon. Part of your challenge is to find good places to shop, and part of your challenge is to make choices that will fit into your budget. There is a real learning curve and you're up to the task.:smile: We'd been buying frozen chicken breasts at Costco. Then we read the package and discovered they've been injected with salt water. :noway: They do have frozen packaged chicken without the salt water injections, but it costs more. Now we're buying fresh chicken at the grocers when it is on sale and freezing it ourselves. I hope you'll learn to enjoy "the hunt" for nutritious food because it is a lifelong project.:flowerforyou: Here are some ideas: discount stores, farm stores, farmer's markets in the city, sales... Always read labels. Good luck.:flowerforyou:
  • FitzyFitzpatrick
    FitzyFitzpatrick Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Shop the weekly add papers (ALL of them), don't shop aimlessly the store! That way you'll get good prices and can construct meals from what's running with a special price. We sometimes have to hit 4 stores over the weekend, but consider it a challenge!
  • MensEtSalvere2013
    MensEtSalvere2013 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the help. I typically buy lean ground beef. lean turkey, chicken, bananas, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, Fage Greek Yogurt to name just a few. I am thinking the bill was larger than I thought because it's not strawberry or raspberry season...
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Frozen fruit, frozen vegetables, frozen fish, and frozen chicken are all cheaper than fresh. Shop at Target, Walmart and other places that are far cheaper than the Whole Food Markets of the world. In short, stop buying into the premium health food and organic B.S. that has created a market for wealthy shoppers to waste their money. Perhaps organic is healthier but there are no conclusive studies on it. And so what if frozen chicken has a little more sodium? Do you sweat? Focus on the basics: getting sufficient protein, good fats, fiber and micronutrients. Strive for improving your diet without busting your budget.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I agree with the suggestion of Aldi. Their produce is very good quality and probably 30-50% less than even Walmart.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Buy in bulk whenever there are deals and freeze some. For example, in-season fruit like berries will often be on sale at some places and you can buy a few boxes and then freeze what you don't need right away. Same with meat or fish. Buy frozen fruits and veggies when possible.

Shopping at places like Target or Walmart for certain things like yogurt might be a good idea. Or how about Sam's Club or Costco? I like to buy my Greek yogurt in the larger containers which are multiple servings. Also I always get the plain version and add my own fruit or honey. Usually cheaper and those containers usually say they are 2 servings but I typically manage to get 4-5 servings out of each one. Avoid buying pre-packaged meals and just cook everything from scratch too - that'll save you a lot of money in the long run. Buy plain oatmeal in the big old fashioned paper containers, not the smaller individual-sized bags.
  • mjculbertson4512
    mjculbertson4512 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Fage is one of the more expensive Greek Yogurts here. Greek Gods is available in a one quart size and I portion it out to take to work.

One of the points of Earth Day, is buy local eat local. The other is to eat in season. Can you switch up your fruits and veggies to what is a better buy right now? Oranges and cuties are still a good buy. Brocolli was a good buy, but not Califlour yesterday. (you get the drift)
  • squiggyflop
    squiggyflop Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Well, a lot of people say healthy food is not expensive. This annoys me to no end. I used to spend 60 bucks on an OVERFLOWING shopping cart. 60 bucks for 40lbs of pasta, 10 jars of pasta sauce, 5 boxes of high sugar cereal, 5lbs of high fat ground beef, 3 bags of frozen fried chicken (tyson chicken strips), 2 gallons of milk, and some chocolate cake. I am a very good bargain hunter but there are hardly ever any good coupons for healthy thing, or good deals at all. 60 bucks barely buys any healthy stuff.

Anyway, buy frozen if possible. Berries are always going to be expensive, even when in season.
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    For sure try Aldi's or if ou have a Boutiful Baskets Co-op in your area for produce! Both are very reasonable in prices. Publix is soo high!!
    I also shop at Sams for a lot of things as well, including meats, fish, chicken, yogurt, ect..
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    1. Eat what is in season - anything out of season you're paying for production costs (poly tunnels, extra water etc.)
    2. Buy local if possible - otherwise you're paying for transport and storage.
    3. Buy special offers ONLY if you can use (or freeze) the whole lot before it goes off - if you buy 3 cabbages but know you only want one, cook the other two and then freeze.
    4. Bulk out meat dishes with pulses and beans - a good cassoulet can have only a few sausages and a bit of bacon, but still be tasty because the meat will flavour the rest.
    5. Use a slow cooker - a cheaper cut of meat (like silverside) will come out beautifully tender and cost a lot less than a rib roast.
    6. Look for things which are marked down because they;re close to their use-by date, and either make soup or cook and freeze them if you can't use them immediately. But other than exception of meat and dairy (with a "use by" date) products such as fruit and veg with a "best before" can be safely stored in the fridge and eaten after a few days - just don't get anything obviously mouldy/deteriorating and you can easily keep it a couple of days.

ETA - why buy 40lbs of pasta at a time? Dried pasta is just as good as fresh and keeps for ages, but I rarely have more than 6 kg (12lb) at a time in my larder, and even then Hubs thinks I'm stockpiling.
  • Annie_ga
    Annie_ga Posts: 72
    Options
    I shopped for pantry staples recently at Target and I was amazed at their low prices - especially on cans of beans. I buy fish and meats on sale and freeze for sure. My breakfasts are super cheap with Kroger quick oats as the base. It takes effort to save money on groceries, but the deals are out there.
  • mljacobs23
    mljacobs23 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I alternate between Kroger and Publix, I find that Kroger actually has a better selection and price for store brand organic. I use southernsavers.com to figure out what's on sale at each store (she also does sales for Aldi, Walmart and Target), and based on the weekly sales, I decide which or both stores I'll go to. I buy whatever fruit and veggies are on sale that week to eat, I buy and freeze meat when it's on sale and I stock up on nonperishable healthy food when it's on sale. Now that it's spring I'll also hit the local farmer's market for produce.
  • Cassea7
    Cassea7 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Some healthy foods can be more costly. I buy kamut cakes at bulk barn and they are over 3 dollars for a pack of 6. That is more expensive than rice cakes ( full of preservatives) at the local grocer for under 2 dollars. Fish at walmart is cheaper.

To cut the cost..I am making my own flatbread..it costs pennies for me for a week. Buy bulk whole wheat flour.

Its healthier, fresher and cheaper than buying bread.

When i think about it , my portions are so much smaller now..so if I eat 3 oz of steak...One large 12 oz will last me 4 meals so ..I say I am cutting costs and eating healthier..Wouldnt you?:smile:
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Many great suggestions here. For the cheapest frozen fruits I go to Dollar Tree. I get berries, peaches, mango and pineapple for $1/pkg. WAY cheaper than same at any grocery store. This allows me to make excellent smoothies super cheap. For fresh produce, buy in season and it will always be cheaper (and better for the planet). As a previous poster said "enjoy the hunt"
  • KtotheD78
    KtotheD78 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the help. I typically buy lean ground beef. lean turkey, chicken, bananas, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, Fage Greek Yogurt to name just a few. I am thinking the bill was larger than I thought because it's not strawberry or raspberry season...
    Try buying frozen when you are going for the out of season fruits/veggies..
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    If in your area, Bountiful Baskets though I know that other areas have their own produce coops. I spent $16.50 this morning and got:

6 peppers
    4 tomatoes
    4 avocados
    2 heads of lettuce
    1 bunch of celery
    3 bunches broccoli
    6 bananas
    2 mangos
    1 honeydew melon
    6 oranges
    2 grapefruit
    2 clamshells of blackberries

I never buy produce from the grocery anymore and it's been a huge savings for the pocketbook.