Ever gotten mad at OTHER people's weight loss?

Options

Replies

• Linkdapink
    Linkdapink Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Oh yes... I am very competitive, but if I'm losing I just stop.

I'm pretty sure that's why my OH weighs himself in kilos and I weigh myself in lbs - so its harder to compare and we can celebrate our successes seperately!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    NO!. Why would other people's success bother me? They aren't responsible for my actions, nobody is except me. I sometimes find it inspiring.
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I need to figure out how to not let other's appearances affect me..
  • kfit42
    kfit42 Posts: 3
    Options
    Yes, I have and it's tough to stop the jealousy. I have been struggling with my weight my whole life and a really good friend of mine and I started walking together a few years back, one night she started bragging about how she already lost five pounds and we had only walked five times and she said that she was still eating the same. I felt like the biggest loser (not a weight loser) but a loser loser on earth. I just went to bed crying, why couldn't I do that? But I realized later (years later), her metabolism rocks and mine does not. That's why she could do that, not me. I have a different body than she does, my body requires different things and even though it was tough to come to terms with that because I really want her metabolism, once I realized this, the jealousy eased up a tad. Don't feel bad about any progress you make and don't compare yourself to others...they have a different body not a better body.
  • jessvaughn74
    jessvaughn74 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    The weight loss number itself does not bother me. The fact that I have not gone done any clothes sizes and i see others who have lost 20lbs and gone down 2 dress sizes. Soo frustrating at times! But I have been working through that insecurity, just tough at times.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    This probably sounds crazy. But have you ever gotten upset when other people lose weight while you're in the process of doing it? My friend/co worker has bad habits and I've convinced her to lose weight, but she weighs less than I do now anyway, plus she's taller so she will look better than I will when she loses weight because she carries it better. She's busty. I'm all butt and tummy. I'm in no way going to discourage her or anything, just makes me envious because she's going to look better than I will sooner than I will.

I've never ever been affected by anyone to the extent of exuding anger (and frustration) when it's about the body ~ fitness wise. I've experienced both sides of the spectrum from my one and only critic for example. At my largest (for the 1st time in my life ~ lasted for about 3 years), she'd label me "Billboard Sign Post." And she's a size 16W. At my current smallest size (under 120 lb and around size 0 to 4 depending on the brand and country) ~ The labels are "Skinny," "Skeleton," and "Eating Disorder," meanwhile I have a healthy appetite (and am far from looking emaciated just as I was never a Sign Post for my fat distribution didn't make me look odd and at my largest ~ I still wore my regular size 12s only with a tighter fit) , eating more than she does, comparatively to how she restricts ~ hence how large she is I suspect as a result of her dishonest eating and the failure to lose weight. She'd always minded my figure, so when I got huge ~ she was in party mode for the recurring onslaughts. My point to you is ~ you can not allow somebody else's progress or digression or maintenance to determine and affect your drive, your cycle, your pattern, your plan and your goals ~ your ultimate goal.

This is a journey that has to be executed with a conscious sense of self ~ to be all about you NEVER what is ideally-suited for someone else or how they're doing with their programme.

Think about it. The potential of where and how far you can direct your body by design (eating plan + workout routines + lifestyle discipline ) is custom ~ all about you ~ for you ~ to accommodate you!!!

Being angry about someone else's body's performance/result is detrimental to you <~ cortisol bad fat's BFF <~ self-sabotage.

You've done very well for yourself for having effectively managed your fat weight reduction journey to where you are today which isn't all too easy a feat at 5 ft 4. It would be more beneficial if your direction is focussed on (i) Your Measurements, (ii) Your Body Fat Percentage, (iii) Your state of health (Your energy levels & how you manage your energy ~ accumulated, stored and spent energy), (v) Determine and own your sense(s) of self-motivation removed from the binds of discouragement for being magnetised to risk subsequent implosions for resorting to placing yourself in a position from having to compare yourself to anyone else.

Edited: Typo
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    What if she stalls out or falls off the wagon?

This.

In fact I usually ensure that she does.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I need to figure out how to not let other's appearances affect me..

I practiced yoga for years, and a good, old-school teacher will usually spend some time in class talking about this issue. Everyone has a different body, with different levels of flexibility and strength. Worrying about someone else's ability to touch her toes does not get you any closer to touching yours--in fact, if you get competitive in yoga, you are much more likely to get injured. The same applies to other things in life. Worrying about other people's appearance is a waste of emotional energy, and I don't even think it burns calories :)
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Nope. I learned a long time ago that one does not attain happiness by comparing oneself to others.

This^
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    This probably sounds crazy. But have you ever gotten upset when other people lose weight while you're in the process of doing it? My friend/co worker has bad habits and I've convinced her to lose weight, but she weighs less than I do now anyway, plus she's taller so she will look better than I will when she loses weight because she carries it better. She's busty. I'm all butt and tummy. I'm in no way going to discourage her or anything, just makes me envious because she's going to look better than I will sooner than I will.

No. why should I get mad?

I LOVE seeing posts from my friends who are looking to lose weight and have worked hard to do so..I find it incredibly inspiring rather than something that would make me mad.
  • Superrhi
    Superrhi Posts: 84
    Options
    Yessssss!
    My flat mate lost loads of weight and she wasn't even trying to.
    She eats so unhealthy and never does exercise, and here's me working my butt off and eating well, sometimes i feel i'll never get to my goal! It used to make me so angry and irritable. But now i'm trying to change my attitude and think, well i'm doing this the healthy way and i'll have abs! :)
  • befitbre
    befitbre Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm not mad, but more of I'm really flabbergasted by my husband's weight loss. I've been working hard and eating well for almost two years now, and while I've seen some results, they've been very slow in coming. On the other hand, my husband has lost 60 pounds in 6 months. In this time he hasn't worked out, hasn't changed his eating habits, or anything. All he did was get a job, and the weight has just fallen off.
  • bumblebums
    Options
    Another thought: it helps to focus on goals that aren't about appearance. If you start lifting heavy weights, for example, you build up strength very fast, and it comes with extra confidence. Eventually, you see a skinny person and think to yourself, "hmm, I wonder if I could bench press HER..."
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    Another thought: it helps to focus on goals that aren't about appearance. If you start lifting heavy weights, for example, you build up strength very fast, and it comes with extra confidence. Eventually, you see a skinny person and think to yourself, "hmm, I wonder if I could bench press HER..."
    I am training with her for a 5k and she kept saying out it's gonna suck and stuff. I think I'll focus on getting my time down?
  • iridescentcolors
    Options
    Yes. It has happened to me before. When I started losing weight, so did a few friends of mine. No matter how much weight I would lose, I never went down too much in jean sizes. I went from a size 22 to a size 16. To me, that was awesome. But it took 85lbs off of my body to do that when a friend of mine only lost about 30 lbs and went from size 20 to 16. Just like that. I was so happy for her but could not stop comparing myself. I kept working harder and harder. Then I realized maybe I am just destined to be 'larger' framed or something. So, I am trying to tone up now to see if that works. But I know the feeling.....
  • bumblebums
    Options
    I am training with her for a 5k and she kept saying out it's gonna suck and stuff. I think I'll focus on getting my time down?

Yes! If you start tracking your progress now, you can aim to set a personal record at the race--that would be a great "non-scale victory" for you.
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your personal stories
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    No- I just think "they look so good, I can't wait until I look that good" and I know how Hot I was before I packed on the lbs. Except I am much more confident now so I know it's going to be good. I get excited because them losing is evidence that what I am doing will work eventually!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Welp we see it in others before we do in ourselves bet you have lost more than you think :)
  • suey07
    suey07 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I used to think that way all the time. "God, I hate her because shes so pretty." "Why was I born this way?". I soon came to realize that if I got skinnier to get others jealous instead of the other way around, I would never be happy even if i lost the weight and got thin. Losing weight and being healthy should only be for YOU and no one else. Of course there are days you might feel self conscious, but that's only temporary if you look at the bigger picture.