2nd week results very discouraging!

Options

Replies

• n3ver3nder
    n3ver3nder Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way: Aiming for 1lb/week loss, you're still 6 weeks in front.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Rome was not built in a day, and you need to expect setbacks..
  • acrowder99
    acrowder99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Definitely normal. I do not weigh myself as often because it was getting me upset too. Now I weigh once every two weeks even though my husband tells me I should wait a month but I just can't walk past that dang scale! Two weeks is about all the self control I have.

I have noticed that I might even go two weeks not losing, then I will get a big jump on the next one - just keep going, it will happen!
  • agoofynut
    agoofynut Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Completely normal. I tend to lose very little for weeks and then will suddenly have a big loss, even though I am consistent with my calories and activity each week. Weight comes off when your body is ready to let go of it and not before.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    You'll have weeks like that.

Just stay in a deficit and stay consistent.
  • Mzgarcia10
    Mzgarcia10 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I agree this us normal. Your first week is always water weight. Then your body will start reacting to the diet. Just remember, you didn't gain the weight overnight, so you won't lose it overnight. Just stay patient and committed.
  • tarablyawsum
    tarablyawsum Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The best advice I ever took for My Fitness Pal is MEASURE yourself. If it wasnt for measuring myself along with weighing in I would have quit ages ago. I have not lost a pound in over a month now BUT every measure during this time frame has been less somewhere on my body. I account this for the toning work I have been doing since muscle weighs more than fat. The scale is deceiving. Do not trust it 100% of the time.
  • royvor
    royvor Posts: 271
    Options
    This is hard to see on the scale. That the hard work does not reflect in the numbers but wait it out and stay the course. Trust in the process that if your eating well, and exercising change will happen. I really like this motivationl quote.

when someone ever you ask someone who has lost weight how did you lose the weight
    you will always hear in a nutshell

"I just never gave up sure we all have those bad
    days buts its a lifstyle and we all have our bad days where we platue or over eat, or don't exercise, but we learn from them and dont give up
    because the end results will be worth it turst me
    if your tired of starting over stop giving up or you'll never arrive.
    dont give up." Plain and simple don't give up don't let this discourage you. Best of luck.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,321 Member
    Options
    Yes, well done for starting on this journey. Remember this should be a sustainable lifestyle for the rest of your life. It won't be instant or even quick. I have lost 41 lbs in 10 months and feel fantastic. It was not quick and many times the scales seemed to have stuck. I measured myself and found I had lost an inch. Result! Learn how to cook real food, that will be the greatest gift to yourself. You will never feel deprived and will enjoy your food. Try skinnytaste.com for ideas. Or just use less oil, sugar etc. I eat so well usually, with food from all around the world, curries, pasta, paella, I can't believe I am on a diet, but my friends are saying WOW!
  • LindaEmrys
    LindaEmrys Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    That's completely normal. Think about it this way: you lost 4,5 pounds per week over 2 weeks, that's insane! Keep going, you'll only get the results you want if you stick with the plan.
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I was up two pounds this week, but over all I've lost 14. This isn't a quick process, you just need to stick with it :)
  • suey07
    suey07 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. So far I've lost almost 40 pounds, but even to this day i weigh myself waaaay too much(once in the morning and once at night). You might have heard this time and time again, but you just need to find the "diet" that suits you. Currently, I am on the keto diet which is low carbs and sugar. I am a huge carb eater and chocolate lover so this diet is tough but I got my results. I've been fat ever since I was a kid so if I can do it, you can do it! The only person that can motivate you to change is YOU. Keep up the great work :)
  • trevebyn
    trevebyn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Keep going and look at the big picture. This is going to be a very long battle but you can win in the end as long as you dont give up!
  • MicroHez
    MicroHez Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    This has been me (at least close enough):

-12, +4, -7, -2, -2, -3, -2, -1, -7, +3, -4, -3, -2

My progress graph looks a bit like a heart monitor. It's normal, just roll with it. My sharp initial decrease was probably because of becoming hyper aware of what I was eating and NOT eating everything around me. I also really increased my activity level initially. As you can see, it's mostly started to taper off to a constant 1-2 lbs a week.
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is something I have fought my whole life. I have literally tried every "diet" plan known, and spent countless money on programs, plans, pills, etc... all trying to lose weight. I'm a 32 year old male and this is the hardest thing I've ever fought.

I have approx 150lbs to lose. I recently started My Fitness Pal. My first week, I lost 9lbs. It was the biggest motivation I'd had in years to keep with it! This past week was my second week and I weighed yesterday morning. I knew it wouldn't be as good as the first week, however was expecting to see some good results. I lost 0.2 lbs (point 2) I don't understand it. I did everything exactly how I did the first week and even started exercising this past week. The first week I didn't exercise any, just stuck with the My Fitness Pal plan.

Is it normal to have these kind of results only into it the 2nd week? Any help would be appreciated!

This is perfectly normal and will happen with any diet. Getting discouraged is exactly what happens to people. they quit and claim nothing works for them. This is a normal reaction of the body, you have to keep pushing. Believe me Ive quit on week 2 or 3 more times then i can count. then someone told me this and last time I said F it, I was going to do it for a month to prove them all wrong. they were right. There must be 1000 posts on here like this. don't give up. Dont binge because it didnt work and the weigh in sucks like I have many times. Keep pushing. You got this.
  • stephaniecmoran
    Options
    Just wanted to share/vent.
    Yesterday, 4/20, marked my first two official weeks. After 5 one-on-one training sessions + not doing too much cardio on my own, meeting my daily calorie intake (since I am starting out, my trainer wants me to simply stay within my range and practice making better food choices...and get used to that), I lost 3.5 pounds. That's a little over 1.5lbs per week. Kind of a letdown, but it's better than nothing. And after a talk with my trainer yesterday, the important thing to focus on is that I am feeling so much better and by continuing making good choices, the results will come slowly but surely. So....keep up the good work!
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Completely normal. Keep doing what you're doing, and you will see results.

It took me a long time to lose 80lbs - every body is different. Hang in there, give it good effort, and good things will happen.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Stick with it! Depending on how often you exercise you should change your routine frequently. I go to the gym 5-6 days a week, so I change my routine every 4-5 workouts. This helps to keep that body guessing! Also, try not to get obsessed with the scale and expect results to come quickly, that can lean to you possibly getting derailed; Instead, make mini goals. Instead of focusing on the big picture, the mini goals help you feel accomplished the whole way through. For example:

I will add 10 minutes to my workout this week
    I will run X amount of time without stopping
    I will add X amount of weight into my routine
    I will eliminate soda for one week
    No fast food for x amount of time
    and so on...

You will feel great when you accomplish these mini goals, and because they don't focus on weight, they'll help you stay clear headed and not obsessing over the numbers.

Also, take measurements! They are just as important. You can monitor your inches lost :)

GOOD LUCK!
  • phoenix7039
    Options
    Totally normal! Just remember, you didn't gain the weight overnight (even though it may seem like it lol), you won't lose it overnight either. The healthy way to lose the weight is to try for 1-2 lbs. to week, making healthy food choices, drinking lots of water, and moving more. Start with small changes and work your way up. Don't get discouraged with small losses, because the next week could make up for it. I have over 100 lbs to lose as well and some days are easier than others and some weeks are better losses than others. Be as consistent as you can and the weight will come off. Feel free to add me if you would like.
  • avielosesit
    avielosesit Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I mean this in the nicest possible way, but what were you expecting? A 3.5 lb loss over 2 weeks is awesome. Keep up the great worl. :)