What is your idea of a well balanced breakfast?

Options
I have some issues in this department.... I love bacon, any kind of bacon, but someone informed me that turkey bacon isn't good for you (lots of nitrates). I love eggs and egg whites, I love oatmeal, plain with 2oz. of unsweetened almond milk, 1 oz of sugar free syrup, 1 tsp of splenda brown sugar, and 1 mini box of raisins, I love toast, I love about anything for breakfast but I need help balancing it out. Any suggestions?

Replies

• myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Anything you like eating.

There are no "breakfast" foods. It's simply a social convention.

I like steak and eggs if I have time.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Balance it out by having a different breakfast each day.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I don't worry too much about "balance" since over the course of the day it works out. What I have found is that protein and at least a little fat keeps me satisfied longer....so bacon would be a good choice.
  • dough21
    dough21 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Bowl of Oatmeal with a Banana and Peanut Butter works for me. :)
  • Fighting4Healthy
    Fighting4Healthy Posts: 336 Member
    Options

I have heard of people eating dinner for breakfast, and have heard that it is better for weightloss to eat more calories in the morning and less at night. Is that true or myth? I am trying to up my protein and carbs a bit since I am trying to be a runner, though I run in the evenings. I like steak and eggs too, we have it for dinner once a month.
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    2 eggs (the WHOLE thing...no reason to only eat the whites; the yolks are so good for you, too). Coffee with heavy cream. :)

(You can get nitrate-free bacon, too, though it can be a bit more expensive. And the deli bacon at Whole Foods is delish but, wow, is it pricey!)
  • Fighting4Healthy
    Options
    4 bacons, 3 eggs.

What kind of bacon? and is that whole eggs or egg whites or both?
  • Fighting4Healthy
    Options
    I don't worry too much about "balance" since over the course of the day it works out. What I have found is that protein and at least a little fat keeps me satisfied longer....so bacon would be a good choice.

I just worry that I am eating too much of one food group and not enough of the other.... what kind of bacon?
  • Fighting4Healthy
    Options
    Bowl of Oatmeal with a Banana and Peanut Butter works for me. :)

Peanut butter and banana oatmeal sounds awesome!!!!
  • danamariers
    danamariers Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    - 2 eggs scrambled with hot sauce on top
    - glass of unsweetened almond milk
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

I have heard of people eating dinner for breakfast, and have heard that it is better for weightloss to eat more calories in the morning and less at night. Is that true or myth? I am trying to up my protein and carbs a bit since I am trying to be a runner, though I run in the evenings. I like steak and eggs too, we have it for dinner once a month.

Depends on what your primary goals are.

If one of them is fat loss then the answer is it depends. If having a bigger breakfast makes it easier to maintain a calorie deficit then it is beneficial, if it makes it harder then not.

If it doesn't matter one way or another (like me) you can do whatever you want.
  • joannemgregory74
    Options
    I have a superfood porridge with added flaxseed, Goji Berry sunflower and pumpkin seeds and raisins.

I also have Fruit & Fibre

Tomatoes and Mushrooms on 7 seed Wholemeal toast

Quorn Bacon or Sausage with Mushroom sandwich made with 7 seed wholemeal bread.
  • hannakengu
    hannakengu Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I eat the same thing every single morning - unless I forgot to pick it up at the store. I have 2 pieces of toasted whole grain rye bread with cheese and deli turkey (the turkey is a "diet addition" since the protein keeps me fuller longer, and one glass of orange juice. I used to have 2 or even 3 glasses of juice every morning (it's like coffee for me, don't wake up without it) but managed to gradually bring it down to one glass.
  • Fighting4Healthy
    Options
    2 eggs (the WHOLE thing...no reason to only eat the whites; the yolks are so good for you, too). Coffee with heavy cream. :)

(You can get nitrate-free bacon, too, though it can be a bit more expensive. And the deli bacon at Whole Foods is delish but, wow, is it pricey!)

I thought the yolks were higher in cholesterol? I usually eat 2 whites with 1 whole egg. Is heavy cream like creamer? and thanks for the bacon info.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I have a PB&J every morning, pretty much without fail. My idea of a balanced breakfast is a proper 2:1 ratio....2 tablespoons jam for 1 tablespoon PB...I love a good jam!
  • djkprojects
    djkprojects Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I thought the yolks were higher in cholesterol?

Yes, they are but also contain good fats which are preferable when on low-carbs diet such as Atkins for fast body fat loss.
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    just tried a fun one this morning. four egg whites, whole wheat sandwich thin, two laughing cow light blue cheese wedges, and franks red hot.
  • MsLilly200
    MsLilly200 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Leftover salad...
    Whenever I make salad I make loads of it and end up eating it for breakfast and lunch until it's all gone... Who says you need to have breakfast foods for breakfast anyway?
  • sarab99
    sarab99 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Quorn makes bacon and sausage? I love their stuff. My daughter will be so happy to hear this since I banished the morningstar farms due to GMO concerns. The veggie sausage was an ingredient in one of her favorite breakfast cassaroles :)