Gained 5 pounds in a week!

Options

Replies

• harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    had a cheat meal Sunday, no exercise. and not much on Monday because I was sick. A CHEAT MEAL ???????????
    U DONt do cheat meaLS AND EVERY CALORIE HAS TO BE ACCOUNTED FOR

Sad advice.

Yes, we need to be cognizant of the food we intake.

However, a " cheat meal" isn't necessarily eating with abandon.

I dislike the terminology of cheat meal or cheat day.

When I'm in a cycle of eating deficit ( I utilize periodization) , I eat deficit 6 days and at or slightly above TDEE one day a week. I am cognizant of my food, but I do eat more ...as part of my plan, my life.

Way does this extrapolate to? 1700-1800 and 22OO-2400 on TDEEish day.

OP : you are likely experiencing temporary gain of water/glycogen which is common when starting or changing intensity of an exercise program. You MAY also be undereating/over exercising which can be, as you may be seeing counterproductive.

We all fluctuate and have a normal range that we weigh.

I'd take a hard look at goals, what your daily energy expenditure and caloric needs are. you sure dont want to be working against yourself. You are likely already fairly lean and aggressive efforts to lose WEIGHT may not be your best goal. Perhaps the focus needs to be body recomposition.

good luck and take care ,

Jen
  • kyleehinrichs7
    Options
    I gained 7 lbs the other day just in water weight last week, it was gone within 2 days and i was back to my normal weight....

Good to know someone has before too! I just measured myself and it says everything on my body stayed the same, my thighs went down, but my chest went up by .5 an my abs went up by 7 inches. HAS TO BE WATER
  • kyleehinrichs7
    Options
    I gained 7 lbs the other day just in water weight last week, it was gone within 2 days and i was back to my normal weight....

Good to know someone has before too! I just measured myself and it says everything on my body stayed the same, my thighs went down, but my chest went up by .5 an my abs went up by 7 inches. HAS TO BE WATER
  • JacquiMayCrook
    JacquiMayCrook Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Check in a couple of days and it will magically disappear again. As far as every calorie being accountable... we are humans, not calculators. I agree that it is great to rigidly stick to your chosen calorie maximum, but everyone is capable of an off day.

The important thing is to get straight back on it, not allow one slip to make you give up!
  • kyleehinrichs7
    Options
    had a cheat meal Sunday, no exercise. and not much on Monday because I was sick. A CHEAT MEAL ???????????

Really? I've certainly done cheat meals - thinking Thanksgiving, Christmas, my anniversary and birthday, just to name a few and I've lost 50 lbs since September. Since I think we are all losing weight and gaining fitness so that we can enjoy our life, a few cheat meals are part of that enjoyment. IMO it's unrealistic to say no cheat meals and sets one up for failure or just giving up.

It wasn't even much of a cheat meal. Just much more carbs then normal and more calories
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    It can still hang around. I went up 6 pounds in a couple of days and even after 4 weeks, I am still 1.5 pounds away from losing it. Probably down to me for two years now and my body went a bit mad.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    EVERY CALORIE HAS TO BE ACCOUNTED FOR
    1400 CALORIES OR LESS

I'd feel like I was starving on that. I have what other people call cheat meals, but I consider them just part of life. Usually it means I'm over in sodium, and gain weight for up to 6 days, but it's not enough to offset what I'm already doing.
  • RebeccaTamietti
    Options
    Are you close to the retaining water week? If so you might need to not get on the scale until after the week is over. Generally I bounce up and then return to normal or less if I am doing all the right things.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    1400 CALORIES OR LESS

tumblr_inline_mkx3sfQMZg1qz4rgp.gif
  • zhiking
    zhiking Posts: 161 Member
    Options

I gained 4 pounds when I weighed 3 weeks ago and even a week later I was very frustrated with scale but decided to not weigh my self till this week and now I'm back down again. So my advice eat healthy, and lots of water and wait at least 2 weeks to weigh yourself again. Also good to keep track of measurements.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options

I spy with my little eye a troll who is a trolling.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options

I don't understand this? Weight Watchers even suggests a person take a day off from a normal diet week to kind of "bump" your calories and keep things spontaneous in a person's weight loss,especially during plateau. Do you mean, "Don't do a cheat day ever?" I think this might be different when someone is just starting out verses someone who has been going for a while. Anyone?
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Banks had a great article on the "cheat week" long ago... Oh Banksies?
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Did you mis-log 17,500 calories?
  • Rikki007s
    Rikki007s Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    In addition to the possible sodium water weight thing, check your calendar. We womenfolk tend to have monthly cyclical weight fluctuations.

^^^ This! I gain about 3-4 lbs a few days before my TOM, but it always goes away. It used to really freak me out until I realized it was a pattern.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options

Why would she not have a cheat meal? What would be your reasoning for this? Also what would you consider a cheat meal? Intrigued I am....
  • tree0597
    tree0597 Posts: 1
    Options
    i am having the same trouble the pounds just will go not sure what else to do.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    water weight. to much sodium. cut back.
  • Coffeeholic8
    Coffeeholic8 Posts: 270 Member
    Options

1400 CALORIES OR LESS
    I've had at least one cheat meal a week since I started this back on the 5th March 2012 and I have never eaten as low as 1400, or even close to, calories a day and it didn't impact my weight loss in a negative way at all. In fact the impact was all positive because I never denied myself something if I wanted it.
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    1400 CALORIES OR LESS

One size does not fit all, darling. :ohwell: Educate yourself.