Run/Walk For Boston

Options
What happened down in Boston yesterday was horrible. It felt as if the attack was all too close to home. I was just in Boston on Sunday to go to a red sox's game...the city was so alive and there was so much joy. Strangers were talking with one another about the race, asking about times and those they where there to see. After talking with several of these people I feel this may be why I feel so connected to this. I love the city of Boston and would move there in a heart beat given the chance. After this horrific event I have been filled which such a strong urge to go back to the city, its hard to explain because I know I should just want to keep as far away as possible, but I don't. I have never been down there to watch the marathon but I now feel the desire to be there next year.

As my way of supporting those who have been effected by this I have set a personal goal for myself. Between now and May 15th I will walk/run 52.4 miles (as someone who does not work out at all right now I know this is going to be a huge challenge). This is the distance of two Boston marathons. One is being done to honor those who lost their life or mobility due to this horrible bombing incident, and the second is for all of those people who came to run and where unable to finish the race.

If you care to join me in this challenge I would love to hear updates of how you're doing, I plan to keep an ongoing count of my miles somewhere on my profile. I hope others will join in, I know it is such a small thing, but right now its the one way I feel I can offer my support and connect with those who where there. Boston is strong and will get through this...

Replies

• RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I'm in, will post more tomorrow!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    Options
    I will commit to running the distance that you posted, this is a cool tribute! I did a 5k last night in remembrance and to honor those affected by the tragedy. I hope more people stop and read your post and join your challenge/tribute!
  • AmandaLynn101103
    AmandaLynn101103 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    So glad you are joining. It is great that you where able to do a 5k to show your support! It hit me really close so I figured this was perfect, now that Ive committed I feel there is no choice other thank to reach my goal which will also help me with weight loss and getting in better shape. A win for all :) I would love to see more join too but I think this has probably gotten lost in the boards now and others will not really see it.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    Options
    I've got 8.1/52.4 miles complete!!! Every time I run since the marathon it makes me feel closer to the tragedy, but helps me heal as well.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Nice idea - I'm in!

Run/walk as well.

7.4 in since Tuesday.
  • NicoleSchimmel
    NicoleSchimmel Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Count me in!!
  • Steveburg123
    Options
    Boston tragedy was one of the most challenging and heartrending news. Our prayers are with those families whose lives are forever changed.
    I'm in!
  • dinoskycm
    dinoskycm Posts: 267
    Options
    I'm in!!! Every time I've been running since Monday, I've ran with Boston in mind so I'm very glad to see this thread!! Thank you for starting this!

Since Tuesday, I've got 6.1 miles.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    We are doing a memorial run in Southern Oregon this Sunday. A large group of people will meet up at Lost Creek Lake to run varying distances up to the maximum of the entire lake circumsference (18.6 miles). :smile:
  • dinoskycm
    Options
    Here's my ticker to keep track of it!

exercise.png
  • dinoskycm
    Options
    As of today (Saturday), I am at 9.8 miles! Where are you guys at? I also have some friends doing this, who aren't actually on MFP, so we have others participating as well! :)
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    Options
    11.2 miles, raced in another 5k yesterday, I run Tuesdays, Thursdays & Sundays usually (had to change Sat & Sun this week) and I have another race Tuesday night.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Sounds like fun! I am in also! Do we just post here our progress?

ETA: I like that exercise ticker..how can I do that?
  • amandajoy9954
    amandajoy9954 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Here is my ticker for the miles!

exercise.png
  • ImpossibleGrl
    Options
    Boston will be waiting for you when you come back. Nothing can hold us down. :)
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Thanks for keeping the Boston victims and survivors in your thoughts.

Here's a recent article on OneFund Boston you may be interested in reading.

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2013/04/one_fund_already_at_10m

The survivors are going to need a lot of assistance, as many have received life changing injuries.

Good luck in attaining your health and fitness goals... we have so much to be grateful for!
  • don666car
    don666car Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    RAWRRRRRRRRRR BOSTON STRONG THEY PICKED THE WRONG PLACE TO BE STUPID RAWRRRRRRRRRR
  • AmandaLynn101103
    AmandaLynn101103 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love seeing all of the updates on here, they really motivate me! I am currently at 5 miles and after reading these I am actually excited about tomorrows run. For me music makes a huge difference while I am exercising, I have started making a play list for my Boston miles (greatly influenced by red sox), I am looking for more songs does anyone else have suggestions? Here is what I have so far....

Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond
    Tessie by Dropkick Murphys
    Dirty Water by The Standells
    Just Keep Breathing By We The Kings (this has nothing to do with Boston but I listened to it a lot while trying to make sense of everything that happened)
    Boston by Augustana (this is slower than what I would normally use for running but nice to throw in the mix for a cool down)
    I Won't Give Up By Jason Mraz (again a slow one, I have too many of them in my mix which is why I need suggestions!)
    True Believers By The Bouncing Souls
    Bad Day By Daniel Powter
    Backin Up Song (feat. Diana) by The Gregory Brothers (okay, I give everyone permission to judge me for this one lol It is a really out there song but somewhat related and the beat to it just lifts me up and keeps me going)

Okay so that's all I have. I currently have filler songs that I did not list just to get my to the desired amount of time but I would love to replace them with different songs so please give me any suggestions you may have!
  • Pjbriand
    Pjbriand Posts: 1
    Options
    Wishing you much success! You will complete what you have set your mind too.
  • thebzax
    thebzax Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Definitely in, starting tomorrow :)

Ps is it walking/running only or can we log distance via other means? I can totally understand if its just walking/running, just wanted to check!