Help with an allergic reaction

Options
Monday night I began noticing itchy hives on my arms, legs, armpits, stomach, back, hands, well everywhere. I took beneydryl and went to bed.

When I woke up, it was worse. Speading to my jawline and making me feel really funny. I went to the doctor and got a prednisone shot....my allergies are pretty bad in general. My breathing had just started to become short, so I made it just in time.

It all started to subside and I felt better. By about 7pm, it started to come back. I took more antihistimines and they offered no relief. I was in bed and couldn't sleep, my heart started to flutter lik crazy. It felt like it was crawling out of my chest. So I jumped in the car and drove to the ER.

They said that I basically ODed on Benedryl. (I took what I took for my last allergic reaction a year ago, however, I was 50 pounds heavier and didn't think twice about my weight playing a roll in how much I should take. My bad, yet, couldn't help but smile to hear I'm too small now:wink: ) However, had I not taken it, things would have been worse. Also, had I fallen asleep, the benedryl would have worn off and it would have just gotten worse. It could have ended rather differently. So it was a good thing that I took it and even better that I went to the hospital. They gave me a dose of steroids and pepcid and sent me home with a five day script for the two. Also told me to take the benedryl, in regular doses as needed.

Not 10 hours after leaving the hospital, the welts started to appear again. I took my drugs, called my doctor, and didn't even bother to panic. This is getting very annoying. He told me to come in to see him this morning. By the time I went to bed last night, I was feeling much better. But this morning woke up covered head to toe in a fresh blanket of hives, welts, and itchy swollen patches. Yay.

The only thing that I have come into contact with that I am allergic to was corn and tomatoes. And I am very careful about my allergies with the exception of those two. I have been clean for , well this is my thrid day. My detergent is and always has been dye and frangrance free. I have had in depth allergy testing several times in my life, including food allergy testing. I am not in contact with ANYTHING, except maybe to mold or pollen in the air outside.

I dislike taking meds, very very much. However, I realize how dangerous this could be. Tuesday night scared the crap out of me, I thought I was going to die for sure! I just can't figure out what the heck is causing this! I'd love to hear if anyone has any suggestions or knowlege. To be honest, I've been terrified to eat anyhting at all. I've been eating brown rice, nuts, and salad with dressing that I made so I know theres nothing in it that I'm allergic too. But considering how yucky I feel, I'm not making my calorie goals, but really have no appetite. I'm forcing myself to eat what I have been eating. I'm going back to my doctor later this morning. I'm also taking my daughter to the ENT where my allergist works, so I may be able to sneak myself in there too.

I just want to make sure I cover all my bases, ask all the right questions, give all the right info, etc. This is frustrating for me, I can only imagine how it is for them when thet can't see whats going on. Allergies are soooo tricky. If this has ever happened to you or someone you know, what was the end result? Any thoughts on something I may not have thought of?

Also, suggestions for surviving the meds? I am extremely constipated and have a headache. I have librax for my colon problems that I took last night hoping for some relief and I'm drinking coffee now. The headache is annoying, but I'm not taking anything because I've got enough of a pharmacy going on over here. I bought some stir fry vegies and fruits thinking I would try harder to get some good food in me today. I hope I can stomach it. Last night I got nauseus while shopping, just seeing all that food everywhere. Hopefully I can at least force a slight appetite.

I will ask my doctors of course, but any help anyone has to offer is much appreciated. If possible, I'd like to finish the steroids and trya detox/elimination diet. See what happens as I add things back in one at a time. Maybe I've developed a new allergy? Thoug, allergy to brown rice, nuts, lettuce, carrots, oil.... not too common.

Sorry, that was long:blushing:

EDIT: I am a licensed esthetician. My products that I use on my body and hair are professional, top of the line. Non allergenic and all that jazz. I have access to the companies directly and am aware of any changes to anything that could possibly be changed. I know what every ingredient is, even the ones that are un-pronouncable. (They are mostly the scientific names of botanicals anyways) As a matter of fact, I have been just washing with water these past two days, just in case. I did break down and buy a bar of Dove, when money was tight, but I haven't used it at all in the past few days or almost a week. It wold be rare that I would braeak out from it a week later.

Replies

• sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to dust mites and tree pollen. I also have skin that reacts to everything. I can touch my arm with my finger and suddenly have hives there. I forgot the term they use to describe my skin, but its chronic, and I was even medicated during pregnancy because it was so unbearable.

I take zyrtec and singulair every night before I go to sleep. I used to also use aveeno hydrocortizone when I would get hives that weren't on my face. The only moisturizer that works when I have a break through the meds is clinique comfort on call or le roche posey toleraine. I can't take benedryl because it makes me exhausted and I have a 20 month old to keep up with.

Good luck! I completely empathize with you. Skin allergies are the worst!
  • sabrinafaith
    Options
    Oh, try a fiber suppliment from rite aid, the physillium husk or whatever pill. That should help with the constipation. Also drink like 12 glasses of water and eat a lot of melon and pears.
  • sabrinafaith
    Options
    Don't buy dov, buy cetaphil when money is tight. I try to only use cetaphil when I have an allergy attack and it really helps.
  • ladyofivy
    ladyofivy Posts: 648
    Options
    Since you've had so many allergies, I'm sure that the allergist has explained to you that you can develop an allergy at any age to anything. This is something I've been told my whole life.

My suspicion is the nuts. Since they are something that people can be highly susceptible to being allergic to, I'd cut those out and see if they make the difference. Best of luck to you, I suffer with allergies, and we found out the hard way that my son is allergic to penecillin and my daughter is allergic to nuts (with an anaphylactic reaction!). Take good care!
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    I'm allergic to dust mites as well. But I purposely have no carpet and all hard wood to decrease that. I also have protective covers on my bed and pillows. Maybe a ginormous cleaning session is in order for this rainy afternoon. If anything, I'll make a workout out of it and burn some extra calories.

I think an oatmeal bath will help, thought of it when you said Aveeno, I'm going to try that instead of a plain shower today. I'll stop at my beauty supply and get a cosmeceutical colloidal oatmeal after my doctors visit.

I think I've built up a tollerance to Benedyl:laugh: It used to make me sleepy, now its keeping me wide awake. The night I was in the hospital, I only got 2 hours of sleep, yet I was wired yesterday. Very annoying indeed!
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Oh, try a fiber suppliment from rite aid, the physillium husk or whatever pill. That should help with the constipation. Also drink like 12 glasses of water and eat a lot of melon and pears.

I can't take fiber supplements. They tend to aggrevate my IBS. Thats is why I've been eating brown rice and I took my IBS meds. I've also been drinking at least 15 glasses of water per day.
  • pennylbunch
    pennylbunch Posts: 122
    Options
    I have a sever allergy to seafood, not just shellfish, but anything that comes from the water. That combined with the fact that I live in Louisiana, makes eating away from home almost impossible! Every resturaunt in town sells seafood! Samples are everywhere! It really is so bad that I can not eat something that was cooked in the same pot, or even kiss my dh after he has eaten seafood! And because it is still a fairly new allergy for me, just started about 5 years ago, I am learning so much every day about it! I NEVER leave home without my benadryl, it is my life saver, even if it will make me tired and loopy, it has saved my life so many times! I am also allergic to dust, pet dander, pollen, and just about everything else imaginable! But only the seafood tries to kill me, the rest just bother me.

After reading your post, and I may have misread, because I DID jus wake up, but it seems like this is something you are coming into contact with in the evenings. I would suggest writing down everything you touch in the afternoons, so many times we have no idea what it is we have done just out of habit. It will be difficult, but after a few days you will probably see a pattern emerge. That is what is happening to me with my diet! I am seeing my patterns in my eating habits, and making adjustments as needed. I hope this helps you honey! Hives are very irritating and can lead to some serious consiquences!
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Since you've had so many allergies, I'm sure that the allergist has explained to you that you can develop an allergy at any age to anything. This is something I've been told my whole life.

My suspicion is the nuts. Since they are something that people can be highly susceptible to being allergic to, I'd cut those out and see if they make the difference. Best of luck to you, I suffer with allergies, and we found out the hard way that my son is allergic to penecillin and my daughter is allergic to nuts (with an anaphylactic reaction!). Take good care!

I've only been eating pistacios, which I was tested for recently. However, you make a good point. I am allergic to peanuts. I wonder if they are processed in a plant that also processed peanuts? The bag does not say so, though. I'll stop eating them for a few days and see if it helps and call the manufacturer, as well as mention it to the allergist.

Thanks!
  • sabrinafaith
    Options
    Wow, I'm sorry. Try eating some melon, pears, and bluberries then instead. Like eat them after every meal, they really help.

Also, try cetaphil face moisterizer if you can. I'm a make-up artist, and I only use things that don't irritate the skin, and cetaphil is always a must have in my kit for people with allergies and rosacea.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I have a sever allergy to seafood, not just shellfish, but anything that comes from the water. That combined with the fact that I live in Louisiana, makes eating away from home almost impossible! Every resturaunt in town sells seafood! Samples are everywhere! It really is so bad that I can not eat something that was cooked in the same pot, or even kiss my dh after he has eaten seafood! And because it is still a fairly new allergy for me, just started about 5 years ago, I am learning so much every day about it! I NEVER leave home without my benadryl, it is my life saver, even if it will make me tired and loopy, it has saved my life so many times! I am also allergic to dust, pet dander, pollen, and just about everything else imaginable! But only the seafood tries to kill me, the rest just bother me.

After reading your post, and I may have misread, because I DID jus wake up, but it seems like this is something you are coming into contact with in the evenings. I would suggest writing down everything you touch in the afternoons, so many times we have no idea what it is we have done just out of habit. It will be difficult, but after a few days you will probably see a pattern emerge. That is what is happening to me with my diet! I am seeing my patterns in my eating habits, and making adjustments as needed. I hope this helps you honey! Hives are very irritating and can lead to some serious consiquences!

Omygosh! You know what? I started adding spirulina to my morning smoothies! The last one I had was Sunday though. I did not test positive for any seafood, but I will mention this to my allergist. I did notice a slight tummy upset after finishing my smoothie on Sunday, but just thought it was the coffee I drank. THANK YOU!

I think it was happening in the evening because I was getting the steroid in the morning. Last night I was fine because I took the steroid around 4pm when I got home. I was good till this morning at about 5:30am.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Wow, I'm sorry. Try eating some melon, pears, and bluberries then instead. Like eat them after every meal, they really help.

Also, try cetaphil face moisterizer if you can. I'm a make-up artist, and I only use things that don't irritate the skin, and cetaphil is always a must have in my kit for people with allergies and rosacea.

Why don't I know what that is? Can I purcahse it at a Industry Source or Windsor Beauty? Those are the only beauty supplies I have access to nearby. Otherwise, where can I order it?
  • sabrinafaith
    Options
    Also, I have no carpets and my bed and pillows have the special covers too, and I still get hives sometimes. Move out your furniture and dust behind. Sometimes you forget that the furniture against the wall can get dusty too and that can cause allergy attacks.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Also, I have no carpets and my bed and pillows have the special covers too, and I still get hives sometimes. Move out your furniture and dust behind. Sometimes you forget that the furniture against the wall can get dusty too and that can cause allergy attacks.

For sure. I'm going to burn off the extra steroid energy with a major overhaul of the house when I return for the doctors. I'll make sure to pick up some masks from the allergist just incase.
  • maddox22
    maddox22 Posts: 91
    Options
    Baking soda baths can also be soothing for hives (my mom used them for us when we had chicken pox)--and a little cheaper than colloidal oatmeal :-)

You might be able to find the Cetaphil at a drug store or online. Call around and check--you never know.
  • pennylbunch
    pennylbunch Posts: 122
    Options
    Ohhh, oatmeal baths help too! I will grind oatmeal in the blender and add it to the bath water, or put some in an old stocking and hang it under the running water, no itch AND smooth skin too boot! You can also add some powdered milk to the oat meal for a special moisturizer in it.... you will compeletely forget you are doing this to get rid of hives, and just enjoy the feel of it!
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to life, according to my allergist. All of the suggestions above are great- for normal, non-allergenic people. People who suffer from mold allergies generally can't tolerate any melons well because they grow in the soil in damp conditions.

WHen my allergies get really bad, I tend to go to a very, very bland diet of brown rice, lots of water, chicken broth, etc and other things that I have tested and know do not aggrevate my allergies. If it is a pollen allergy, I take a tsp of local honey every 4-6 hours and use my neti pot to irrigate my sinuses. But I know that these things work for me.

Anything you eat or exposed to, even if they are considered "hypoallergenic" have potential to cause a reaction. This reaction (especially for food, vitamins, etc) can last up to 72 hours until you eliminate it from your system. The annoying thing about allergies is that the more you are exposed to something, the more you have the likelihood to become allergic to it!

Last year I went to a holistic nutrionist and found that even though there were many foods I didn't not traditionally test as being "allergic" to, I was definitely sensitive (made me foggy, gave me headaches, upset my stomach, etc).I have cut them from my life and it has helped tremendously. This includes soy, which people RAVE about being so great for health, but for me, i cannot tolerate it in any form.

This is ditto for many "natural" rememdies containing herbs, etc (ugh...chammomile and lavendar kill me!). Just because they are considered "natural" doesn't mean they are safe for the allergic person.

There are several books out there about eliminating everything from your diet (chicken, brown rice, water diet) for a short period of time and then testing suspected foods for reactions.

Hope you are better soon. Allergies suck!
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    UPDATE:

First off thanks for all the suggestions. I just returned from the doctors. The plan is as follows:

~Use my current steroid energy to do a complete overhaul of the house top to bottom.
    ~Buy baby detergent and rewash all clothing, towels, and bedding. Also eliminate fabric softener all together regardlees if its free and clear of not.
    ~Put nothing on my skin or hair, no lotions, soaps, deodorant, creams, absolutely nothing but water. And no shaving so the skin is not open. I'll smell nice and musty and look real attractive in my tank tops, lmao.
    ~Stick to a bland diet of brown rice, veggies, and beans or tofu for the time being. Also eat fruit to help my pooper since the steroids are causing some issues. Nothing but water and coffe is ok too.
    ~Later on tonight I'll start taking ativan to counter the steroids and help with the migraine that is taking over. In addition to the migraine meds.
    ~In a few weeks I'm going to redo all the allergy testing to see what has changed.
    ~Carry an epi pen everywhere I go.
    ~Continue taking pepcid, and benedryl for a few days. No more zyrtec till this is over.

Meanwhile, Oatmeal is not a good idea because of my gluten sensitivity. I didn't even think of that! Dang, this is a pain in the rear!

I will figure this out and put it to an end! However, I am so wired from the steroids, I feel like I can complete the entire P90X program today. This will come in handy for the cleaning and laundry. But I can't wait to take the ativan and lose the migraine since the migraine meds are not even touching it. No wonder bodybuilders take steroids to workout. I completely get the Roid Rage thing too! I'm so ansy and gotta keep moving. I was doing jumping jacks while waiting for the doc to come in:laugh: Then I almost plowed over a pregnant lady at the market who kept stopping directly in front of me. :tongue:
  • Notsocorny
    Options

The only thing that I have come into contact with that I am allergic to was corn and tomatoes. And I am very careful about my allergies with the exception of those two. I have been clean for , well this is my thrid day. My detergent is and always has been dye and frangrance free. I have had in depth allergy testing several times in my life, including food allergy testing. I am not in contact with ANYTHING, except maybe to mold or pollen in the air outside.

Being allergic to corn means more than just being allergic to the grain. I am at a loss for allergy medicine and most over the counter medicine's because there is no Corn-free medicines. There are GMO's (genetically modified organisms) in products such as benadryl, tylenol, advil. These GMO's have to be based from a certain chemical or plant, and 9 times out of 10 (in the US), it's made from corn. I used this website to help me out when i started to learn about my allergy. http://www.cornallergens.com/

Good Luck!