organic shopping?

Options
im interested in eating organic produce... but our grocery bill is super high as is going from an unhealthy diet to healthy.... anyone who has switched to organic... is it way more expensive or about the same?

Replies

• 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I'm based in the UK and I get an organic veg box every two weeks. I'm veggie so no meat and I'm not buying everything organic but certain things like eggs and milk. I'm a student and wouldn't do it if it was super expensive. I just think it tastes so much better! But have a look around the shops in your area and look at the difference.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    My grocery bill is probably less since I switched to organic and stopped using the supermarket as I'm not tempted to buy more than I need on 2 for 1s and 3 for 2s and all the other things that shops suck you in to buying just from walking around the aisles.

Now I get a veg box which I use up diligently across the week and I buy specific meat and fish for meals and nothing goes to waste.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I'm based in the UK and I get an organic veg box every two weeks. I'm veggie so no meat and I'm not buying everything organic but certain things like eggs and milk. I'm a student and wouldn't do it if it was super expensive. I just think it tastes so much better! But have a look around the shops in your area and look at the difference.

Same!

I get one every week and its £13 for a medium box which lasts exactly a week for me and my husband.

My whole order is average £40 including bread, milk, eggs, yoghurt, fresh soups and a small amount of meat.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I dont' buy everything organic. But, I too buy cage free eggs and try to stick to free range meat. As far as produce, I try to stick to locally grown stuff, but I also keep my eye out at the store. Sometimes the organic stuff ends up cheaper than the regular produce. Not all the time, but it does happen.
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    It's definitely more expensive but I find the taste and quality of the food is much better. I have a grocery store called Earth Fare down the street. It's as big as any supermarket. However they have fresher produce too. Now, when I buy salad mix at Wal Mart, if I can find one that's not brown, it usually lasts 2 days in my fridge before it's nasty. The organic stuff I buy lasts at least twice as long. This goes for all other types of produce as well. So if you find you're having to throw stuff out more often because it goes bad then this may actually save you money in the long run or help you break even. Now if you could break even on the cost because the food keeps longer, and it tastes better, and is healthier (being organic) then I think that's a huge win. But I understand it can be cost prohibitive. After all, you don't have to buy everything organic when just starting out. Things do tend to be more expensive when not in season anyway, so maybe you can only afford the non-organic version in the off season.

Unfortunately it's cheaper to eat unhealthy. I mean, look at the cost of a box of Little Debbie snack cakes or any other processed foods like spam, stew, boxed meal 'kits'. You'll learn to pick out the stuff that you like that's cheaper as well as buying things on sale. I buy organic meats and fish. I buy them on sale and it's as much as non-organic meat and fish from anywhere else. Look for coupons on company website and 'Like' their Facebook page for offers and coupons too.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    For fruits and vegetables I only buy organic for items that are on the "Dirty Dozen" list.

For meats I go to a butcher rather than a supermarket since it's a lot easier to get grass fed w/ no antibiotics and it's often cheaper anyway.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Unless you can get organic whole sale or straight from the farm, it will be expensive.

Organic costs more to grow and so is more expensive. Mlik and meat are things I would choose to buy organic (if organic is important to you). Even if you were to eat unhealthy organic foods would spike your food budget too
  • KtotheD78
    KtotheD78 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Find out which foods, such as apples, are best to buy organic and start out small..
    I find frozen fruits are just as cheap as non organic, whereas they may be more expensive fresh..
    I don't notice a difference in organic kale or spinach (price)..
  • AnnaMarieDinVa
    AnnaMarieDinVa Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My local Trader Joe's is priced less on everything and they only sell organic. If you are close to a Trader Joe's, shop there. Higher quality food cheaper than the grocery store. :) And it tastes better,
  • kbrhelker23
    Options
    thank you all... aside from all the chemicals and stuff i just found out that certain non organic veggies etc have half of the nutrients and stuff because they have so many chemicals on them or something... but we live fairly close to a trader joes, i will have to stop in there and check it out, i have never been to one.
  • thevegankelly
    thevegankelly Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I buy organic anytime it's an option for environmental and health reasons, and it is definitely more expensive, but it's a huge priority for me. We get our produce delivered once a week (all organic, and as much local as possible), and it averages about $60 a week. We buy our other groceries from the big store every two weeks and spend about $180. That's with almost every single thing being organic, including all of our nuts, beans, and non-dairy milks. Our family is made up of two adults and a toddler, and I'd guess we spend about what a non-organic family might spend if they weren't on a budget. Like I said, it's a priority for me to buy organic, so we make sacrifices in other areas. I'd rather have personal health and a cleaner environment than a new pair of shoes or concert tickets.
  • thestrawberrysays
    thestrawberrysays Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Always buy produce in season, and also do some comparison shopping and find out which stores offer the best prices. Also, check for CSA's in your area. You can often save on your bill by joining one.

Another thing, when I switched to healthy eating at first I thought I would keep buying convenience foods but switch to healthier brands. $7 for a bottle of BBQ sauce, $4 for a bottle of ketchup...it quickly adds up. Either go without, or learn to make it yourself. These days I make my own salad dressing, marinades, BBQ sauce, even mustard. It's actually quite easy.

Plan a menu (even a loose one) so that you aren't over-shopping or wasting food. Shopping in the bulk section really helps.

I don't buy 100% organic. I always buy organic meat, but I mostly eat chicken breast because it's cheaper than beef. For produce I shop the dirty dozen list. Google it. Some things you do not need to buy organic (in my opinion!). For a family of 3 I am spending around $100 a week on average.
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    IMO - local, seasonal produce is most beneficial - and cheaper than organic produce from chile thats 3 weeks old. Just make sure your washing your veggies and stick to organic milk (potential for hormones) :)

In the summer I get a local organic CSA box (community supported agriculture) but it can be pricey depending on whats around you. its the best option but like i said if there is money constraints local and especially seasonal is going to be most beneficial. These foods have the most nutrients and are the cheapest.