Gaining weight when I should be losing...

Options
Yesterday I made a post about me gaining weight when I have been eating really really clean and exercising extra hard. Brief overview: I plateaued for like 5 months so I upped my calories and really got serious about eating clean and working out. I started my new routine on the first of April and was 120 pounds. I weighed myself this morning and am 126. Usual time that I weigh myself, no clothes. I am trying to lose my last 10 pounds but every week that I weigh myself it becomes my last 12 pounds. or 15 pounds. I don't understand what I am doing wrong. I switch off between cardio and weights and have really been challenging myself during my workouts. I eat between 1300-1500 cals a day. My measurements are also the same. I've been tracking my protein, carbs, and fats so I just don't get it.

I know that people say "maybe your body is happy at the weight that it's at" but I still have fat that I can grab from my thighs, stomach, and arms.

Does anyone have any advice for me? It would be greatly appreciated. It's so discouraging to work so hard and then not lose any weight at all.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Could be water weight from the various exercises, could be hormones, hard to say. It's only been about three weeks, give it time.

It would be helpful if we could see your diary, too - if you want, you can make it public in your settings, then we could offer more advice.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?

Is that calorie amount plus exercise calories or is that the total.

I'm thinking you might be under-eating even though you say you've upped your calories. I eat quite a bit more than that and I'm only 160cm tall and I'm 20 years older than you so probably need to eat less.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    at your size the scale can be a huge LIAR. Check out gokaleo.com she has some great information on the reality of how measuring by scale weight only can skew your vision.
  • lisitabonita
    lisitabonita Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Have you tried to eliminate grains?
  • Tehya85
    Tehya85 Posts: 23
    Options
    Do you take measurements as well?? Could it be muscle that you are gaining?? I try to only weigh myself once a month now and I don't use my numbers as a reflection of how I'm going at all as my body shape is totally changing the more I work out :)
  • PixieChick24
    PixieChick24 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My total calorie intake is generally between 1600-1800 but I do burn off anywhere between 300-500 with exercise...so I net around 1300-1500. I am only 5'1 and I don't eat unnatural sugar, dairy, or wheat.

I will change my diary settings so everyone can see. Heads up, today is my cheat day so it obviously won't look as healthy as all the other days. Take a look between Monday and Saturday. Thanks!
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Your diary looks awesome. Great, whole, healthy foods. I say stick with it for a bit longer. More importantly, how do you feel??? I bet eating so well you feel amazing!!!
  • adeleinex
    adeleinex Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My total calorie intake is generally between 1600-1800 but I do burn off anywhere between 300-500 with exercise...so I net around 1300-1500. I am only 5'1 and I don't eat unnatural sugar, dairy, or wheat.

I will change my diary settings so everyone can see. Heads up, today is my cheat day so it obviously won't look as healthy as all the other days. Take a look between Monday and Saturday. Thanks!

Hey, I'm 5"1 and I also hit a plateau for months(gah!) and I tried to up my calories, lower them, exercise more, less, !#@$. It's very frustrating.

Right now, I am eating at 15% of my (sedentary, cause it's exam season) TDEE and even without exercising, I've consistently lost pounds for the first time in months. Maybe you should give that a try as well?
  • adeleinex
    Options
    One more thing, also try keeping track of inches. Weight fluctuates a LOT.
  • PixieChick24
    Options
    Your diary looks awesome. Great, whole, healthy foods. I say stick with it for a bit longer. More importantly, how do you feel??? I bet eating so well you feel amazing!!!

Thanks for the encouraging words! I do feel really good from eating so healthy. Definitely noticed a huge increase in energy and overall have been in a much better mood. I have only recently given up unnatural sugar and the first 3 or 4 days were really hard for me but after that first week...I don't crave sweets AT ALL. In fact, on my cheat day today I had a small piece of candy...did absolutely nothing for me.
  • PixieChick24
    Options
    One more thing, also try keeping track of inches. Weight fluctuates a LOT.

First, thank you for the advice. I think I'll stick with what I'm doing for a little while longer and if that continues to not work I will definitely consider your method! I do keep track of my measurements and they haven't budged one bit. So obviously I haven't gained fat but I also am not losing it. Hopefully I will start to see a difference soon.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options

Hey, I'm 5"1 and I also hit a plateau for months(gah!) and I tried to up my calories, lower them, exercise more, less, !#@$. It's very frustrating.

Right now, I am eating at 15% of my (sedentary, cause it's exam season) TDEE and even without exercising, I've consistently lost pounds for the first time in months. Maybe you should give that a try as well?

I presume you mean 15% LESS THAN your TDEE.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I do keep track of my measurements and they haven't budged one bit. So obviously I haven't gained fat

end quote
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    today my scale is up 5 lbs,
    did i gain five lbs in three days of fat?
    no it is water weight.
    take measurements
  • adeleinex
    Options

I presume you mean 15% LESS THAN your TDEE.

Yes, that's what I meant. :)
  • PixieChick24
    Options
    today my scale is up 5 lbs,
    did i gain five lbs in three days of fat?
    no it is water weight.
    take measurements

My measurements haven't changed at all. With the way I'm eating and exercising shouldn't I be losing in my measurements? Guess I'm just impatient...