Flavouring Broccoli Ideas

Options
Hey. Anybody got some good, healthy ideas to flavour your broccoli. I wanna steam some for supper tomorrow but Im only used to Hollandaise sauce on it and well that's just full of butter!!!

Replies

• peaceloveabby
    Options
    Garlic!! I personally have a seasoning called Garlic and Wine seasoning made by the melting pot restaurant and oh my god it is SO delicious.
    Cheese is always a good option. I use vegan cheese just as a personal thing, I'm not actually a 100% vegan. But anyway haha. It's amazing. A good meal I think is broccoli and potatoes with cheese and garlic. Lordy. Deliciousness.
  • KelleyRob
    KelleyRob Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Toss in olive oil or coconut oil (my preference), fresh garlic, salt and pepper. Roast in oven on 425 for about 15 min until it starts browning. After removing from oven sprinkle with fresh parmasan cheese. YUMMY!! I roast lots of veggies like this.:flowerforyou:
  • dachiri
    dachiri Posts: 14
    Options
    Garlic salt is my go-to. I like vinegar, so I'll also often toss veggies in balsamic, a little olive oil, and some roasted garlic. You can also reduce balsamic in a pan and add a little honey and garlic. THAT is delicious! You might also try grilling rather than steaming the broccoli to give it more flavor to begin with (blanche and then grill to finish).

If you like something creamy, cheese will work. There are a lot of 2% milk cheeses on the market now (Kraft makes a cheddar I use a lot), which helps. Hollandaise isn't the end of the world if you use it sparingly. It has about 70 calories per tbsp., which is similar to many salad dressings. The trick is to only use *one* tbsp. :)
  • nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I sautee it (and most other vegetables) in olive oil, garlic and onions. You just have to watch out for how much oil you use because the calories can add up. But it gives it a nice flavor. I usually sautee mine for a while so they get a nice browning.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Worcestershire sauce! Or some garlic and onion powder
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    crushed red chili and garlic powder
  • squall88c
    squall88c Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle mine with parmesan cheese or chilli powder.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Lemon pepper
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Try sauteing it in some olive oil, minced garlic, and crushed red pepper flakes.
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I put some good Parmesan cheese on mine the other night and it was delicious. for sure doing that more often! not the fake powder crap! real kind. lol
  • BrandiBoo84
    BrandiBoo84 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Garlic, olive oil, and red pepper flakes, YUM
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm garlic!
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    i like broccoli flavored broccoli

but.. you can always do a little garlic salt+butter
  • emcclore
    emcclore Posts: 38
    Options
    Lemon pepper

^^^^^^^ this

or just lemon
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Hey. Anybody got some good, healthy ideas to flavour your broccoli. I wanna steam some for supper tomorrow but Im only used to Hollandaise sauce on it and well that's just full of butter!!!

What's wrong with butter first of all?

I use butter, seasoned chicken breast I fried in butter, mozzarella, and pine nuts.

My broccoli rocks :)

Oh, and for the record I'm not kidding at all...I eat this. Often. And yep...still losing fat. The trick is being mindful of how much you scarf down.
  • emcclore
    emcclore Posts: 38
    Options
    i like broccoli flavored broccoli

but.. you can always do a little garlic salt+butter

^^ died laughing!!!!!!!!!!
  • Victoriously2013
    Options
    I boil mine, let it get really mushy. Then I add a little fat free shredded cheddar cheese. Stir them together with onion salt and garlic salt, and a teaspoon of I can't believe it's not butter. Taste wonderful!
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I roast mine with salt pepper and olive oil. SOOOO good.
  • Victoriously2013
    Options
    Toss in olive oil or coconut oil (my preference), fresh garlic, salt and pepper. Roast in oven on 425 for about 15 min until it starts browning. After removing from oven sprinkle with fresh parmasan cheese. YUMMY!! I roast lots of veggies like this.:flowerforyou:

That sounds yummy!
  • Logical_Integrity
    Options

Cheese