Overcoming a bad weekend

Options
Hi all

I had a shocking weekend this weekend, a funeral, a poorly pet, hours of travelling and little control over the food I was eating (we were eating at funny hours and lots of Ghanaian food which is cooked with a LOT of oil) has led to hours of starvation followed by a bar of chocolate or a large meal and so on.

I know from past weekends that weekends like this can add at least an inch to my waistline and I can put on 4-5lb but the biggest problem is psychological because it can take up to 10 days for me to get properly back on track... although this has got better and now only takes 2-3 days but they are 2-3 days of hunger and misery for me and anyone who knows me.

Anyone else go through the same? Any one got any tips to get over it and get back on track?

Thanks xx

Replies

• libbymach
    Options
    Hi Nicole Don't dwell on the overeating at weekend it's in the past, you can't change it. Start again maybe have 1 day with only 500 cals or as little cals as you can a Fasting day would really help to get you back on track. My Mum passed away recently and I have been terrible with food and wine, but I am doing the 2/5 Diet fasting for 2 days and eating normal for 5 good results!!
    :smile:
  • GeekAmour
    GeekAmour Posts: 262
    Options
    I wouldn't agree with fasting or severely restricting your calories for any amount of time - that would confirm that you fell off a diet & need to do something drastic "to get back on", when in fact, you should be making a healthy lifestyle change that you can continue with for the rest of your life. In that life, things will happen, funerals, poorly pets, travel... you can't beat yourself up every time life happens to you & you don't or think you can't make the best choices diet wise; all you can do is move on. Make your next choice, your next meal, a good one & don't punish yourself or your body any further because of what has already passed. x
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    dont listen t o people saying to fast or eat 500 calories thats bull****.
    fasting is not good ever and 500 calories will put u in starvation mode as will f asting
    and u will gain
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    eat less calories and record it
    up the exercise
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    Fasting involves a period of time during which a person lives on an extremely limited diet, sometimes consisting of nothing but fluids. Done for a variety of reasons, including as a political message, for weight loss, and for religious observation, fasting can be a dangerous practice that many heath professionals warn against. It is important to get a clear picture of fasting dangers before deciding to embark on a period without food.

While some people are able to survive a fast and feel healthy and revived, others suffer a variety of short-term effects. Nausea, dizziness, painful headaches, and fatigue are all common fasting dangers experienced within the first few days of a fast. Fasting dangers in this early stage can include lethargy and a drop in productivity or job performance. Some fasting regimes are not calorie-free, thanks to the use of juices or special teas, but the lack of solid food on the body may translate to a fast onset of symptoms nonetheless.

Increased potential for illness is another of the more serious fasting dangerous. A lack of vitamins and minerals opens the body up for inflammation or illness, and some people develop a cold or flu within days of beginning a fast. Blood pressure typically plummets without food, leading to chills, weakness, exhaustion, and sometimes severe mood swings. DONT FAST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • quicklabs
    quicklabs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Even the cortisol resulting from stress will add pounds. Don't worry about a single "bad weekend." from a calorie standpoint . Hope everything is better soon.
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    Diets providing 500 calories per day are considered very low-calorie. These are sometimes recommended for people with a body mass index of 30 or more, or when BMI is greater than 27 with an additional health related factor such as high blood pressure. Diets containing so few calories should be monitored by a medical professional and used for periods less than 12 weeks. Weight loss can be obtained using a 500-calorie diet, but dangerous side-effects should be considered.

Cardiovascular Complications

Ventricular arrhythmias and sudden death have been associated with very low-calorie diets. In April 2001, the "American Journal of the Medical Sciences" published a review of case reports and studies pertaining to cardiovascular complications associated with very low-calorie diets. Reports include incidents of hypotension, myofibrillar damage, sodium depletion and depressed sympathetic nervous system activity as contributors to sudden cardiac death. A 500-calorie diet doesn't usually provide adequate nutrient intake and over time, vitamin and mineral deficiencies are possible. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition published a review in 1992 examining the mechanisms of sudden death during very low-calorie diets and determined that micronutrient, protein and electrolyte deficiencies contribute to myofibrillar damage resulting in electrical instability in the heart that may be the cause of sudden death.

advertisement

Sponsored Links

Food Calorie Count The Ultimate Healthy Living Toolbar Get Daily Fitness Tips & More. Free www.dailyfitnesscenter.com

Gallstones

A significant side effect of 500-calorie diets is gallstone formation. Contra Costa Endocrine Associates of Walnut Creek, California evaluated 179 obese patients for gallstone formation during a 600-calorie diet. The results were published in the "American Journal of Clinical Nutrition" in July 1992, reporting that the rapid weight loss associated with very low-calorie diets were significantly associated with gallstone formation. In February 1995, the "American Journal of Medicine" published a review of gallstone formation during weight loss and determined that risk of formation was exponentially associated with increased weight loss. To decrease risk, it recommends that weight loss not exceed 3 lbs. per week.

Weight Regain

Weight regain is a common problem with very low-calorie diets. A study by Doctors Michael Walsh and Thomas Flynn, published in "Journal of Family Practice" in September 1995 concluded after a 54-month evaluation, that very low-calorie diets have limited long-term success. Those who attended the study program longer and exercised more, maintained better results. Walsh and Flynn conclude that very low-calorie diets may not be worth the adverse risks. A study comparing a 420-calorie diet to a 1,600-calorie diet, published in "International Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders" in July 1997, showed greater weight loss in the 420 calorie diet but similar body fat loss, and at 28 months follow-up, both groups maintained the same weight loss. Weight regain is associated with weight cycling or yo-yo dieting, and can create health problems. The Department of Psychology at Yale University reviewed the effects of weight cycling and published the results in "Archives of Internal Medicine" in June 1994. It reported that the bulk of research shows an association between yo-yo dieting and morbidity and mortality, and stressed that weight maintenance is a priority.

Sponsored Links

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/308511-the-dangers-of-500-calorie-diets/#ixzz2RBVRQCBC
    EAT MORE THAN 5oo CALORIES A DAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    As tough as it is, just put it behind you where it belongs and start fresh. Drink some extra water to help make the body function properly and add steps to your day. We are all going to have days or weeks like this due to unforeseen problems and stress. As someone mentions the Cortisol levels in your body can add weight due to stress, so maybe add some stress relief exercise into your day such as Yoga or a nice walk somewhere pretty.

You can do this
  • suzieb41
    suzieb41 Posts: 15
    Options
    I would just try and forget about it. Its happened, move on and recognise that you had some problems. LIfe sometimes gets in the way.
    But if you are doing it every weekend, you need to maybe try and work on this.
    I would never agree with any kind of serious restrictions or fasting. I don't agree with them at all.
    Plus if you try and go really low calorie, your body panics and holds onto every calorie that goes in.
    and this just isn't a very sensible approach to eating. Piling loads of food in for a couple of days, then pretty much starving yourself for the rest of the week. Apart from the nutritional and biological problems, its just not a very good way to live!
    I would suggest upping your exercise at the weekend for one thing. Go for a long walk at your usual ''danger'' time. If you normally sit in front of the tv on a saturday night with a bottle of wine (or coke lol) and a multi pack of crisps, get off your bum and get outside in the fresh air. You don't have to go far, or for very long, but it usually lifts your spirits so that when you get home you might be less likely to veg out. Reward yourself with a hot bath or read a couple of fitness or health-related magazines, or get engrossed in a book x
    Don't let negative self talk get to you. Stop yourself whenever you start down that road. You are human, and you will give in sometimes x
  • bethira
    bethira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I agree with those that suggest putting it in the past and moving on from here. Instead of beating yourself up over one bad weekend (I had one myself this week) look to the upcoming week. Plan some yummy meals that will keep you at your calorie count (I'm looking forward to adding some turkey my husband roasted yesterday to my salad at lunch today) and make sure to get in some good workouts this week.

Remember, no one day fixes or ruins your lifestyle. We are on this journey for a lifetime and there are going to be special days where we can't (or don't want to) control what we eat. Don't make it a habit and move on.
  • Kxgz
    Kxgz Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Just keep going : )
  • MinnieLou92
    MinnieLou92 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'd drink loads and loads of water and try to up the exercise a little bit. I had a shocking, shocking, SHOCKING weekend too. My madre and step dad split up, our family friend had a heart attack and the bedroom tax (curtsey of the Tories) means we will probably lose our house. Obviously the lucky few who OWN their houses are exempt, only us poor people who can only secure a roof over our heads through renting are effected...ANYWAY (sorry, it's your rant ;)) yeah, just keep on at it! It takes me like, 3 days mentally to recover from a food sesh and in that time I cannot think of anything worse than exercising. POSITIVITY and time taken to love yourself is a good solution.
  • nicole_andan
    Options
    Thanks for all your advise, it's all appreciated. I obviously asked what people would do to get back on track and we will all vary in what might work for us so ALL input is welcome as long as it's given from a good place!

So far so good today and I'm about to have lunch... I'm gonna try and take things 1 meal / 1 day at a time for the next couple of days. I am all about routine - that keeps me on track and maintaining health, if that routine goes out the window I struggle to get the routine back and that causes the main problem.

Fingers crossed and a bit of hard work and I'll be ok! Thanks again and I hope that all of you who also had a bad weekend have a better week coming up! xx
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Really the only way to get over a bad weekend is to wake up the next day and carry on regardless meeting your calorie goals as if it didn't happen.

I also find that one really amazing workout is enough to re-set my brain back into a positive from of mind.