• selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    too much

2-3 exercises per body part is enough.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    wait....... Is this all in one day, 4 times a week?
  • bielenberg442
    Options
    I think you're on the right track. I'd put an ab focused session with the cardio days though.

Just remember to challenge yourself and increase weights each time, and you should be fine.

That sounds like a good idea :) - I will try that and increase cardio to 2 days, so i only rest on sunday.
  • bielenberg442
    Options
    too much

2-3 exercises per body part is enough.

Hmm..

wait....... Is this all in one day, 4 times a week?

No, either Chest - triceps! or Back - biceps or Leg - Shoulder
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I think you're on the right track. I'd put an ab focused session with the cardio days though.

Just remember to challenge yourself and increase weights each time, and you should be fine.

That sounds like a good idea :) - I will try that and increase cardio to 2 days, so i only rest on sunday.

If you are trying to gain muscle, why would you up your cardio?
  • Mikemax125
    Mikemax125 Posts: 108
    Options
    Not bad a few pointers, always start with your compound movements. I noticed you dont do deadlifts until your 3rd exercise when you should start with the deadlifts first since this will be your most taxing exercise. If you did more sets on your compound movements and dropped some of the smaller exercises you would see better results IMO. When do you work calves? Deadlifts, squats target calves to an extent but it wouldnt hurt to throw in a few sets of some donkey kicks, or seated raises. Good LUCK!
  • Mikemax125
    Options
    Oh, and dont forget to add Clean and press.
  • bielenberg442
    Options

First off...before changing anything, consult a personal trainer or at least someone who can SEE what you are doing. That being said, from what you've written, if I take this as a workout schedule for me (I'm not going to advise you directly what to do over the internet, this is how I'd change a program for me, I advise a trainer first), you are missing a few things here.

-Warmup sets before starting the 3 sets are important to prevent injury and get your muscles ready for the main lift. You should do at LEAST a 50-75% max weight set first in any lift ( for example, when I bench I do at least a set of 1 round, then 2 rounds no matter what, after that it depends, if I'm lifting heavy I just add a couple close to max weight, if not I'd do a warmup of 3 rounds, all before the main lift sets)

-If I'm going for strength building, I want to increase the weight a bit so I'm at 6-8 on the last set at least, you shouldn't be able to do 10 on your last rep, def not 12 -- if so, that means its time to increase my weight next time. On some days I'd do warmups and increase weight, and do less reps when I'm pushing strength to the next level, depending on how I feel.

-You have abs with almost every workout and shoulders with legs, but want chest/back/leg focus alternate 3 workouts?? And no forearms? I'm guessing the goal is for looks by this, not strength as you said...if so you want more reps, 12-15 range for your exercise program. I'm not primarily looks focused, so I'd move shoulder exercises with the rest of chest day, then move abs to one spot or have the 4th day be core/abs and add arms, such as: 4th day deadlift/abs/obliques/wrist flexion/wrist extension/rope winds (make sure back day is on the opposite end of the week from this, OR, more likely I'd put arms with back day and abs/obliques with leg day, where they are supposed to go ;) )

-You are doing 3 sets of 3 types of curls? Either your biceps weights are too light, or again you are looks focused...this came up twice, is this the case? Not wrong if its supposed to be that, but its a different animal for workout suggestions...and its not my focus generally, I'd choose two of them, dump one.

-Forget people who say you absolutely HAVE to work every body part more than once/week, its better if you dont for strength, especially starting out, later one can start to go up to twice/week, depending on one's health and sleep and personal recovery time. If this workout program is going for looks, high reps and more frequency/wk could be no problem...but again, not for me so -- your frequency is fine for me starting back.

-Lastly, and foremost: get a trainer to watch and evaluate you in person and dont make changes to your program suggested by some random guy on the internet, (who also cant see/evaluate you), or you are likely to get hurt! :)

This is actually from my trainer - I don't have him right now, that's why i would ask in here :)

You have a lot of good points, i will take a look and try to modify :)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    THESE ARE ALL STRENGTH TRAINING AND NOT CARDIO AND NONE WILL MAKE U LOSE W EIGHT
    IF U ARE TRYING FOR MUSCLE AND NOT WEIGHT LOSS THEN YA

not true... you can lose weight doing weights and no cardio.... I know I did

and I only recently added cardio to my exercise programme (after reaching my goal weight and successfully maintaining it) because I want to improve my conditioning/stamina.

while eating at a deficit, you need to do weights to maintain muscle mass, which helps to prevent loss of lean muscle mass, and makes it more likely that the weight you lose is all fat.

cardio helps you to create a deficit, that is all. Weight training helps to preserve lean muscle mass. Cardio is not strictly necessary, as you can create a deficit without it by eating less. What I lost out on by not doing cardio, was endurance, although my endurance wasn't that bad, because doing compound lifts like the squat and deadlift work your cardio-vascular system not just your muscles. So I did have some endurance. I just added in circuit training in order to improve it.
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    THESE ARE ALL STRENGTH TRAINING AND NOT CARDIO AND NONE WILL MAKE U LOSE W EIGHT

You are joking right???

FIRSTLY TALKING LIKE THIS IS BLOODY ANNOYING AND CONSIDERED RUDE!!!

Weight training helps you lose weight as it builds lean muscle and the more muscle you have the harder your body has to work to live upping your metabolism and daily calorie expenditure.

for me i do a good mixture of strength and cardio training but for me the rules are simple

Cardio training for fitness/ stamina

Weight/ resistance training for FAT loss

You want to lose fat not weight!
  • bielenberg442
    Options

To get my bodyfat % down? -I'm new to training so please bear with me, but i thought that would do it?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options

Shush.. Weight training can also be an effective cardio workout. Also, do you see any fat people who do weights!? I can speak from experience, that weights will aid in losing/burning.

Please take some time to read up on nutrition and exercise... When muscles are tired they need to use carbs/fats/proteins to recover.. which is also why people take on food AFTER exercising.. for recovery.

Thank you, good night.

If you came to my gym, you would see a fat person doing weights. That would be me.
  • selina884
    Options
    As a newbie, why don't you just focus on compounds to begin with?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

To get my bodyfat % down? -I'm new to training so please bear with me, but i thought that would do it?

with the exception of overfat beginners, you can't gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. You do one then the other, e.g. a cutting phase to reduce body fat, then a bulking phase to gain muscle, and back to cutting again, then bulking.

For a cut and bulk, you train the same way, just for a cut you'd eat fewer calories than you burn off, and for a bulk you eat more calories than you burn off (your body needs the extra calories to build the muscle. All the while you train hard and eat plenty of protein.

The thread "in place of a road map" helps you to calculate how many calories you burn in a day... you need to add 10-15% for a bulk, and subtract 10-20% for a cut (it depends on your current body fat percentage how much you subtract)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Actually, if you are new to lifting you can actually do it at the same time to a degree. Generally, you cannot gain muscle on a deficit, however there are a couple of exceptions - being new to lifting is one of them.

Are you looking to focus on strength or size gains? Your program is one that is very much focused on hypertrophy, but is actually not that efficient as adding strength range lifts actually complement the hypertrophy ones . If you are on a deficit and new to lifting you should really be looking to do a full body workout - basing it off compound lifts with added iso lifts for added hypertrophy or to assist your compound lifts. If you do not want to do this, you should at least look to hit each body part at least 2 x a week with either an upper/lower split or a push pull split.
  • selina884
    Options

If you are on a deficit and new to lifting you should really be looking to do a full body workout - basing it off compound lifts with added iso lifts for added hypertrophy or to assist your compound lifts. If you do not want to do this, you should at least look to hit your body parts 2 x a week with either an upper/lower split or a push pull split.

Thankyou.
  • frasergentles
    frasergentles Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Why not introduce some bodyweight training which will give you a more rounded workout. Plank and press ups for example which are almost the perfect strength training exercise because they focus on almost all of your muscle groups. One arm press ups (when you can do them!!) are awesome for core strength and all over arms, similarly hand stand press ups. best exercise for triceps I find is seated tricep dip using a kitchen chair. For abs, plank, moutain climber followed by side plank. Make your bodyweight training harder by introducing instability i.e. do a press up with one hand on the floor and one on a basketball, do moutain climber with both hands on a swiss ball rather than a chair or bench.... well worth looking into!!

Focus on technique, technique and technique and gues what.... technique.

Make sure your are eating plenty of protien. Cardio is definately the way to go for all over fitness but to maintain muscle development eat about 1.6g protein per kg bodyweight.
  • Mikemax125
    Options
    When cutting while training its more than just calorie deficit, You HAVE to adjust your macronutrients (carbs, fats, protein) In my experience I saved more muscle on cuts by increasing my protein to higher than it was while bulking. I run 50%protein 30% carbs 20% fat on cut, bulking i do 45%carbs 35%protein 20% fat. Look into HIIT for cardio (ropeslams, jump rope, plyometric boxes etc.) Burn fat save muscle.
  • bielenberg442
    Options
    When cutting while training its more than just calorie deficit, You HAVE to adjust your macronutrients (carbs, fats, protein) In my experience I saved more muscle on cuts by increasing my protein to higher than it was while bulking. I run 50%protein 30% carbs 20% fat on cut, bulking i do 45%carbs 35%protein 20% fat. Look into HIIT for cardio (ropeslams, jump rope, plyometric boxes etc.) Burn fat save muscle.

Thanks for the comment - That helps alot!
  • Mikemax125
    Options
    No problem bruh