I Need Help shopping for pants

Options
2»

Replies

• tikafly
    tikafly Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately it will probably be a bit difficult to find young, trendy styles that will fit you right now....

This is so not true. :ohwell:
  • MsipiGRITS
    MsipiGRITS Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I am short so I have the opposite problem. However, I would still highly recommend consignment shopping. You can find a huge variety of brands/styles in one place. Just try on different sizes. I always find things that fit perfectly.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately it will probably be a bit difficult to find young, trendy styles that will fit you right now....

This is so not true. :ohwell:

Perhaps I just never found them then. When I was in size 22 jeans, I could never find jeans that fit that weren't grandma jeans. I did finally find a pair of 'trendy' jeans at the time, that were the wide leg and blinged pockets that were in style at the time, and I thought I was so rocking those jeans, but looking back, they really were quite ridiculous. The biggest problem I have had when I was larger was that my waist was so much bigger than my hips and thighs. Low rise fit my hips and thighs better, but I had horrible muffin top, so to find jeans that fit me in the waist, the butt and thighs were insanely baggie.

With the emergence of the super stretch skinny jeans, I can finally fit into jeans comfortably and flatteringly. But I have also lost 50 pounds, and can fit into size 12 in that style now. But I don't see those jeans available in larger than size 18, at least not at the stores I usually shop. But after reading the posted blog, it does show some cute jeans in the larger sizes. I just don't recognize the stores she mentioned- Vault, Torrid, Maurices. I have never heard of those and haven't seen them in my area. But I don't spend much time in the mall, so perhaps they are there and I have just missed them. I definitely wouldn't buy jeans online unless I have actually tried them on in the store first.

Are those stores in all areas?
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Oh my god, that article was awesome!! Ack, I am never shopping at Old Navy or Gap for jeans again!!!
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this works for taller gals or not, but as a shorty with ample hips (I am pear shaped), I've found tailoring to be a life saver. It's rare for me to find a pair of pants that fit perfectl right off the rack, but I've had great pants that looked nice once I had a professional hem or tightening up of the waist done on them.

P.S. ^ this is the tailoring I require. There are others things that can be done-letting out hems, etc. This may be a worthless suggestion for some, but maybe it can help some others.
  • beatingobesityforlife
    beatingobesityforlife Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You all are awesome!! I appreciate your responses, I noticed several asked for size, I am Apple shaped, so right now I am bigger in my hips and tummy and my thoughts arms and legs are smaller. I tried on 15 pairs of pants yesterday and one fit perfect on my hips, but was extremely baggy on my thighs and legs. I tried on 22, 24 & 26 average, tall and medium. I'll definitely check out Catherine's I forgot about them..maybe they could help too. Also thought about pull on pants, tried some on and had same results..too big on legs, perfect on waist. I hate the Dunlop effect, but I find it so hard to find pants that fit perfectly on my whole hips, tummy & legs. Again thank you all for your responses and advice, if you have anymore pertaining to Apple shaped, let me know. I love doing but just want doing for pants to be a little better lol thanks again :)
  • beatingobesityforlife
    Options
    I don't know if this works for taller gals or not, but as a shorty with ample hips (I am pear shaped), I've found tailoring to be a life saver. It's rare for me to find a pair of pants that fit perfectl right off the rack, but I've had great pants that looked nice once I had a professional hem or tightening up of the waist done on them.

P.S. ^ this is the tailoring I require. There are others things that can be done-letting out hems, etc. This may be a worthless suggestion for some, but maybe it can help some others.
    for now that just might be my only option, because trying on 15 pairs of pants, all different sizes and none fit can get kinda stressful. =/ Thank you !
  • beatingobesityforlife
    Options
    I'm English so we have different stores here, but my nicest, best fitting jeans are Levi's that I bought about 11 years ago! I also have sme Calvin Klein jeans that fit nicely.

I'd just try on loads on different sizes and see what suits you best. I'm not the same size in every shop here.
    I'll do this first before tailoring clothes...worth a shot to give it one more good day to try on pants to see if any fit..just can get really stressful and then frustrating at times lol
  • beatingobesityforlife
    Options
    I'm English so we have different stores here, but my nicest, best fitting jeans are Levi's that I bought about 11 years ago! I also have sme Calvin Klein jeans that fit nicely.

I'd just try on loads on different sizes and see what suits you best. I'm not the same size in every shop here.
    I'll do this first before tailoring clothes...worth a shot to give it one more good day to try on pants to see if any fit..just can get really stressful and then frustrating at times lol
  • AZorychta
    Options
    try silver jeans. They come is so many different leg lengths and waist heights. I love mine and I feel great in them. Buy them a bit snug since they do give about half a size.
  • beatingobesityforlife
    Options
    Changed profile picture for better idea of what I'm looking at
  • beatingobesityforlife
    Options
    try silver jeans. They come is so many different leg lengths and waist heights. I love mine and I feel great in them. Buy them a bit snug since they do give about half a size.
    I'll check them out. Thank you!
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Tall women should avoid wearing Women's clothing that have bright and wild prints. Wear a different coloured top than what you wear below. Wearing two different colours above and below will help break up your height. Stick to outfits that have both light and dark colours. As much as possible, stay away from monochromatic women's clothing. Tall women look attractive and appealing with wide belts because it makes their torso appear shorter. A wide belt can be the perfect accessory to a simple a-line dress, a skirt, or even trousers. Belts help define the waist on a tall figured woman so she doesn't seem like one big endless mass. When searching for the right pair of trousers look for those which have cuffs on the bottom. Cuffs at the bottom of your pants will help make you appear shorter than you actually are.

Wear dresses and skirts that end at your shins. Do not bother with dresses that end at your ankles because they will accentuate your height. Other ideal clothing that end below the knee are capris. Shin skirts and dresses and capris are the types of clothing that will reduce the elongated look of your body. Whatever womens clothing you decide to wear make sure they are neither too loose nor too fitted. Your tops should be longer than what you wear below. By wearing a long top and something short below you make you give the impression that you are shorter. Wearing low heeled shoes such as ballet flats will avoid adding height to your already tall frame.

Tall women should use large accessories to match their Womens clothing. If you are wearing earrings select long dangly earrings instead of studs. In this case bigger is better. The same rule applies for purses and hand bags. It looks very odd and disproportionate when a tall woman carries a small purse. You don't want to look like a giant carrying Barbie sized accessories. A tall woman should carry large hand bags in solid colours. By following these tips you will be able to find the right kind of womens clothing for you. A smart shopper has an idea of what clothes to look for before they start shopping. Whatever your figure or frame you should always know what types of womens clothing suit your figure so you can highlight the best qualities of your body.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/3852736

^^^^ what a load of tosh.....what is wrong with being tall....if bold colours and wild prints are what you like go for it!

Thank you!!! I was thinking the same thing!
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Old Navy also has tall sizes, and most of their pants are low to mid-rise.

This would be my suggestion also. If you can figure out your size, they have a "tall" section on their website. I ordered long jeans from there because I always have to order long/tall. For once, the pants were a little long on me. They were really comfortable though and were flattering for the most part. I'm 5'9" also.

I have a hard time finding pants because I need long pants while at the same time having a waist that would be one size, and hips that require another size. But Old Navy and Target are good places for pants.
  • yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I agree with this. Sweethearts are my favorite!
    I also have a muffin top and low-rise pants do not help. You just end up with a dunlop (Where your belly dun lopped over your pant waist). I like Old Navy's Sweetheart cut jeans. They are a mid-rise, so they're not really high, but they go past the muffin. They are also smaller in the waist, but roomier in the hip/thigh. They have several different cuts. Always try them on though. They are infamous for inconsistent sizing.

(Edited to remove rogue question mark....How did that get in there?)
    [/quote]
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I don't have a muffin top anymore (yay!), but I am tall so here's my two cents: I'm 5'11" and 160lbs. I have a small chest and small waist and carry my extra weight in my butt. Measurements are 37", 30", and 40" around the fullest part of my hips. I wear a size 10 pants mostly, sometimes a 12 depending on the fabric and fit. I buy my pants/jeans at Old Navy, Alloy, and New York and Company... occasionally JCPenney. They are the only stores that are (for me) reasonably priced and that have pants long enough for me. I don't like high waisted either, but I also know that any muffin top anyone has is more pronounced the further down the pants sit on your hips. I'd shoot for a medium rise and look for the pants to comfortably fit your stomach rather than your hips. I'd rather try to hide the muffin top and have them be baggy below. Good luck!!!