Poverty and Poor Nutrition

Options
123457»

Replies

• SunflowerRox
    SunflowerRox Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the list! this will def help me when i grocery shop next time! :)
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I make an okay amount of money, but we have a lot of bills to pay, which doesn't leave much left for us to use. We don't pay attention to food much, and we eat maybe twice a day at most. I buy frozen veggies and fruit, spaghetti, and beans and tortilla shells. I don't eat meat, so that helps. He does though, but most of the time we don't even eat together, because of work and he goes to school at night. So I think we manage well, even though we don't have a lot.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    poor people eat crappier food because it's cheaper and there are many urban neighborhoods without decent access to a supermarket.

it's pretty simple.

Yeah, it's funny how difficult it is for some people to understand that.

agreed. i just recently moved to an up and coming area that used to be the hood. there are no affordable grocery stores in the area but a *kitten* ton of bodegas and corner store. my choices are either to rent a car to go to a grocery store or walk to the whole foods that is in the neighborhood. neither is an issue for me because i'm living a comfortable life and can pretty much buy what i want when i want, but this wouldnt be the case if i were legitimately poor like many of the people who live in my hood

in addition the idea of what's considered food is different now than it was in the 60's and 70's. for instance i grew up poor and yes we had fast food and junk food BUT that stuff wasnt considered food and although it was fast my mom never considered it economically efficient since for the same price she could get a bag of beans, cornmeal, chicken wings, milk, rice and eggs and we'd be set for several meals for the same price as 1 meal from mcdonalds.

keep in mind back then there was no value meal.

home ownership also plays a role. for instance even though we were poor, all the adults in my family owned a home (home ownership was easier back then and mortgages werent as outrageous) so we all had gardens to supplement our food and for the most part every would grow a few similar items but a few different things to share with the others. when i was a kid i never recall my mom having to buy produce because either she, her sisters, her brother or my grandparents had stuff in their garden we could eat . in the winter we ate the canned and pickled versions of what we had.