Any non runners just get up and run one day?

Options
13»

Replies

• bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I read on facebook my cousin who has MS ran 8 miles on a "training" run. At the time, I had never ran a mile in my life. This motivated me to start the Couch 2 5k and 3 years later I just ran my first full marathon. I couldn't imagine not running now.

what an awesome reason to start!
  • actlc
    actlc Posts: 84
    Options
    Yes.
    I was never a runner and used to hate running when I was forced to run cross country during my high school times. Never run again after high school.
    But now I enjoy it a lot.

A little less than 3 month ago, 2nd week of January 2013, I just suddenly decided to try out running (to improve my health) and have not stopped since.

My first day ran was 0.4 mile. And gradually improved within these 3 months. Now my longest is 7 miles and routinely run 3 - 4 miles almost everyday.

It's very important to learn how to run right. Otherwise injuries await you or you won't enjoy running.
    Here is my little experience:
    1. A good pair running shoes that fit your style. Preferably half size bigger.
    2. Run at comfortable pace. Don't run too fast too far too soon. Don't let yourself run out of breathe. Slow down when it is about to happen. If you can find the right pace, you can run really long with that pace.
    3. Go for distance first, do not worry about speed.
    4. Land on middle of your foot.
    5. Downhills can hurt your knee. Avoid them or don't go too fast.
    6. keep yourself well hydrated before, during and after.
    7. I used a heart rate monitor + cell phone app. Tracking heart rate allows you to pace yourself and compare results. It's really good as you know how well you perform and can slow down when working out too hard.

:wink:
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Yes. And I failed miserably. My legs hurt and my heart burned. I tried a second time and failed again. Didn't last longer than a few minutes.

One day, on Facebook, I wrote about how bad of a runner I was and what a hard time I had. A local runner, that I knew from a past kickboxing class we took together, offered to take me on a run so she could show me what to do. She helped SO MUCH! I didn't know her that well, but she ran right beside me and we did a small 3k bicycle path. It was no sweat for her, she was a marathon runner, but she was there to help me.

It turns out, I was running way too fast and with way too much impact (My feet were landing too hard on the ground). She showed me that if I wanted to run a distance, I had to do almost what felt like a very slow jog; shorter strides and land light on my feet. Land on my heels instead of on flat feet or the balls of my feet (This advice differs runner by runner of course). This advice really helped me and my run felt so much better! I ran another few 3Ks with her and another woman, and eventually went on my own.

I've worked up to 5k so far, but I haven't tried for more mostly because I'm too lazy to go online and figure out how many kilometres new routes would be.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I do like the couch 2 5k program, thank you to all that recommended it. I am feeling some pain in my shins and my neck, which I thought was really odd because I've never had neck pain before, not even while doing insanity. Maybe I do just need different sneakers, right now I have the Nike Torch I think they're called. my shins still hurt and its been 2 days.

day 1 I did 1.86 miles
    day 2 I did 2.12 miles - but not as fast.

My average pace has been about 10 minute per mile.

Oh and what do you know day 2 - 2 dogs chased me down the street I KNEW that was going to happen! The owner came running out and asked me to stop running so he could catch his dogs, I was not happy and a little bit terrified, they chased me right in the street. I'm glad none of us were hit =(
  • BflSaberfan
    Options
    So yesterday wasn't quite as good as my first two days, but I did run even though it was POURING out. Honestly I kind of liked it. My sneakers were soaked though but other than that it was pretty awesome.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I do like the couch 2 5k program, thank you to all that recommended it. I am feeling some pain in my shins and my neck, which I thought was really odd because I've never had neck pain before, not even while doing insanity. Maybe I do just need different sneakers, right now I have the Nike Torch I think they're called. my shins still hurt and its been 2 days.

day 1 I did 1.86 miles
    day 2 I did 2.12 miles - but not as fast.

My average pace has been about 10 minute per mile.

Oh and what do you know day 2 - 2 dogs chased me down the street I KNEW that was going to happen! The owner came running out and asked me to stop running so he could catch his dogs, I was not happy and a little bit terrified, they chased me right in the street. I'm glad none of us were hit =(

On the dog thing: look at that as a success because you met your fear head on, and everything was fine. I'm terrified of dogs when I'm out (I'm a speed walker considering running). Last month 2 dogs came running out at me, and I yelled for them to stop and go home. It freaking worked! =-O I was terrified to go by there the next day, but I kept telling myself that I won, and there's no need to be afraid. I've got to get some pepper spray one of these days.

Keep at it. You're doing great!
  • BflSaberfan
    Options
    UPDATE - started week 3 yesterday on couch to 5k. Cannot believe I ran for 3 minutes!! I actually really love it!
  • 123meg123
    123meg123 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I did, I was living in a small town with not many gym / sport options but I wanted to get fit so I tried running. I'd hated running before that and it did take me a few months to consider myself 'a runner' but it's amazing how quickly you do improve. Start off with a mile and try to stretch it further each time. Go regularly and you'll be looking like a pro in no time.
    Enjoy!
  • bowhuntr09
    bowhuntr09 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    UPDATE - started week 3 yesterday on couch to 5k. Cannot believe I ran for 3 minutes!! I actually really love it!

Great! Keep it up!!!
  • lovesweetlove
    Options
    You could try one of these apps out there... the couch to 5K.

Personally, yes, I just threw on some shoes and started running and made it a point to run further each time. I also invested in a good heart rate monitor and like to keep my HR in a certain zone while I run. I can go months without running and then just go out and run several miles. Running isn't for everyone, and I don't love it like some people do, but in my eyes its the least amount of time to burn the most amount of calories for me.
  • Lanise_10
    Lanise_10 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Yep, I did exactly that.
    Just get up one day and do it, see how far you make it. Then try to beat your distance/time every time.

Pretty much how I started and just continued to increase the running time between walking each day until I built up my stamina.
  • BflSaberfan
    Options
    So yesterday I did W3D2 - I did awesome, had my best time and pace. Only this time I was chased by GOATS!!! Yes! Goats! The farmer down the street let his goats roam free for whatever reason and when they saw me coming started charging. Thank god he was out there and was able to help me. I was terrified. I can laugh about it now because seriously who gets chased by goats but oh my God I was scared.
  • Savvyeater1323
    Savvyeater1323 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to think that "going for a run" was the stupidest thing anyone on the planet could possibly do. I didn't understand why you would want to inflict that kind of misery on yourself. Plus, it was pointless. Why run out miserably in one direction, only to return miserably over the same ground? That was crazy.

But for some reason one day I did decide to try to Couch to 5k program. The run/walk system helped me a lot because I didn't feel like I was about to die when I went for a run.

And--surprise!--when you've worked up enough endurance to actually DO a decent run, it ends up being really nice. I don't know of anything that is better for overall mental health and mood. And it makes your legs tone right up. Delightful! :)