Discouraged - 65lbs and no one has noticed...

Options
13»

Replies

• Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I had been steadily losing weight my first year of uni, and nobody said a word. When I came back for the second year, after summer break, *everyone* was commenting on how much weight I'd lost. During summer, I had been losing weight at the same rate, but people weren't seeing me every week, like they were before. I think your partner will definitely notice the difference, but it might be a little while before anyone else really notices. If you're seeing someone regularly, you don't clock the changes as much.
  • bethanylaugh
    Options
    I'm sure he will notice!! Go and get a new shirt that FITS and flash him a giant smile, he won't be able to NOT notice!!!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Do YOU notice a difference? That's what matters. It's hard for people who see you on a daily basis to notice changes that have taken place slowly over time. I'm sure since your SO hasn't seen you in a while, the change will be very apparent to him.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    My guess is that ppl, who know you, are just not saying anything. I know with me alot of ppl didn't say anything to me at first--I ws even told by one person she was hesitant bc she didn't wnt to "offend" me??? It's true. If you've dropped 65lbs I'm certain others have noticed and tht your husband will notice. Keep up the good work! :):):)
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm sure people have noticed. They probably just don't comment on it. I learned this because when I lost 15 lbs, no one at work said anything. But a few weeks later I found my badge from when I'd first started and showed my boss and said, "my goodness, look at the change!" and then she said she'd noticed I'd lost weight. It's just the way some people are. I'm sure your SO will notice. :) He's seen nothing but men for the past 6 months, you're going to look like a (thinner) angel!
  • iceviperma
    iceviperma Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    dont be discouraged. You notice, that is what is important, feeling healthy .. about you.. I have no doubt your man will notice.. especially if he has been gone for a while :) hang in there .. dont get discouraged. I am encouraging you ! 65lbs is a wonderful accomplishment !
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm sure people have noticed. They probably just don't comment on it. I learned this because when I lost 15 lbs, no one at work said anything. But a few weeks later I found my badge from when I'd first started and showed my boss and said, "my goodness, look at the change!" and then she said she'd noticed I'd lost weight. It's just the way some people are. I'm sure your SO will notice. :) He's seen nothing but men for the past 6 months, you're going to look like a (thinner) angel!

Also, my brother noticed and he didn't say anything to me. Instead he said something to my dad and I didn't find out until weeks later.

Don't fret lady. Be happy with your accomplishment!
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss!

I totally understand. I have lost nearly 50 pounds over about a year's time and people that I see all the time are just now really figuring it out. I've lost almost 3 pants sizes and they are just now noticing?!? I think they are just too polite to make mention of it. It's pretty funny actually. Because I see them almost every day. Where have they been??

On another note, I'm sure that he will notice and be very proud of you! Keep up the great work!
  • chedges9090
    chedges9090 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I've noticed people loose weight before and I am ALWAYS scared to say anything about it. If I say you look good now, I am inferring that you didn't look good previously. You can bet people notice.

There was a post previously (listed above) .. and I completely agree. Sometimes folks just feel awkward. Congratulations to you on your tremendous life style change. ! You should be super proud--and I bet the other half will not only recognize your weight loss--but, your new confidence !
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    the only two people that matter will see it- you and your hubby- good luck to you, and thank you to him for his service (and you for the support).

65 lbs is a great great job!!!
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    As many have said, people have undoubtedly noticed but bringing up weight, even if it's a positive like noticing weight loss, can be a touchy subject - if they say you've lost weight and look great, will you take that as they thought you were heavier before and didn't look great.

I don't know what your starting weight was, but my experience was that people started mentioning that I've lost weight after dropping around 15% of my body weight.

I'm sure your significant other will notice. Great job!
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m59evtT2661rodgq3o1_500.jpg

You will not be ignored.

Sometimes people are polite or jealous.

But what are your alternatives if no one but you seem to notice?
    give up and gain all the weight back? You sure don't think so!
    Keep going do it for your and
    tumblr_m59evtT2661rodgq3o1_500.jpg
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I'm sure he will notice. Dress in something flattering, have your hair and nails done, and be sure to look as good as you feel. As others have mentioned, you're probably not getting a lot of comments because people aren't sure what to say or it's just not as noticable because they see you all the time and it becomes a gradual change. Have a great time with your husband's return!!
  • lorax419
    lorax419 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss! That is an amazing feat!

I think a couple people mentioned - if you bring it up, then others can comment about it. In this society, especially in corporate America people are afraid to talk and say anything about anyone. I have personally seen and heard people get offended when someone says, "you look like you have lost weight". Trying to keep things politically correct seems to be the stance - and giving a compliment or two can get some people in trouble.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    First of all CONGRATULATIONS! That is a huge accomplishment. Some people forget to buy new clothes when they lose weight so people don't tend to notice unless you're walking and lose your pants. :) Don't buy too much right now. You could go to Goodwill and snag a few things. But definitely find something that makes you feel good in. Also, I lost 40 lbs after my baby once and I noticed I lost some friends because they didn't feel comfortable with me at my new weight. I did make some good new friends in the gym however. I think so many people are so worried about themselves they don't pay attention to things or people around them. It's sad the way things are now. The people that matter will congratulate you and keep you motivated. Keep it up!
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I'm sure he will notice!! Go and get a new shirt that FITS and flash him a giant smile, he won't be able to NOT notice!!!

Never mind the shirt , just go to a sex shop and buy some naughty lingerie lol he will really notice then.
  • LisaInUP
    LisaInUP Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Try not to get discouraged. I work in an environment that predominantly male and what one of them told me was he didn't know how to compliment me on my weight loss without it sounding like he was hitting on me (and I'm VERY married)........
    One of my male co-workers (who is also a friend) said the same thing. I told him it is polite to humorously said "Something looks different about you.... did you get a haircut?" So we can then say, "No actually I've lost some weight, thanks for noticing" :laugh:
  • hmires1968
    Options
    He will notice! I couldn't believe how long it took for people to start noticing and saying stuff to me. I don't think I got my first real comment without any prompting from me until I hit 80 pounds. Now people won't stop talking about it...even if I just lose a couple. The more you lose...the bigger difference it makes when it keeps coming off. :)
  • Cappie356
    Cappie356 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, YOU know the success you're having. You're working towards this goal for you. People probably notice that you're looking good but they can't quite put their finger on what about you is different. Keep up the good work...We are all cheering you on!

Kudo's!!!!!:flowerforyou: