Unsure how to make a meal?

2»

Replies

• hidensee
    hidensee Posts: 21 Member
    Cooking is all about experimentation. There are lots and lots of options.
    Start with any protein you like or have, beef fish poultry pork tofu, it can be seasoned in a variety of ways look at all the marinades available at the store not to mention all the spice combos out there now. Pick a few that sound good to you cook the protein any way easy for you grill, crockpot, roast in a cooking bag, stir fry or anything else you might like to try.
    If its with a marinade you can add whatever vegis you like to the marinade and cook them right with the protein. Then add your starch or carb if you choose if its sweet potatoes or potatoes you may want to add it to the protein vegi mix to cook but it could be rice or another grain, bread or whatever prepared on the side.
    The combinations and possibilities are endless which is why there are soo many cookbooks out there. You can't go wrong if you start with things you know you like. Don't be afraid to try something new though.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Buy some cookbooks, take a class, or ask your mom or grand mother to help, and learn to cook. It will make taking care of yourself much easier, and it's something you can do now that will continue benefitting you for life.

Do this. Also (if you get cable) start watching the Food Network or the Cooking Channel. They will give you tons of ideas, and you can actually see what they're doing. It makes following instructions in cookbooks easier.
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Yes, I do eat a lot of carbs, as well as sugar lol. We just purchased a rice and vegetable steamer on the weekend (which I'll have to learn how to use). We also has a crock pot in the past but I think it went in the trash because no one in my home used it. You have some really awesome ideas! My idea of a meal was something that incorporated each of the food groups I suppose or most (because that's what I thought it was).

I also seen people talking a little bit on the forum about adding complex carbs into your diet?

Hi OP -- yes, and I guess that "complex" is somewhat in the eye of the beholder LOL....
    I eat a lot less bread, and a lot more brown rice and sweet potatoes, than I did before. It seems to me that bread doesn't stick with me very long, and since it's fluffy it's pretty easy to overeat for me...(I could eat 500 calories of bread in a flash, but eating 500 calories of chicken breast would be pretty hard!). But that being said, I do eat bread and crackers when I feel like it; they are just not the foundation of what I eat on a day-to-day basis. Things like brown rice and sweet potatoes have fiber and seem more substantial, as well as having other nutrients.
    Even little changes are worth making -- having brown rice at dinner instead of white bread, baked chips instead of fried, water instead of soda. I initially cut out carbs, then added back in some carbs but no wheat, then I added some wheat back in....and you know what? My rate of weight loss didn't slow down a bit.