exercise on an empty stomach early in the morning

Options
Hi MFP! I just rejoined MFP and still looking for some supportive friends so please feel free to add me. I have decided to workout at 5am before I get my day started since I haven't been able to find time to workout in the evening with 2 kids (1 1/2 & 7). I started today and I did the eliptical for 30 min. I feel really energized and awake.....I hope I don't crash later! But I am wondering is it ok to exercise on an empty stomach? I don't know how I would eat before working out since I am already getting up at 5 am and if I did eat how long do I have to wait after eating to exercise? Please help me :)

I am 34, 5 foot 1, 170lbs working towards 150lbs

Replies

• KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    It's fine to do a workout like that on an empty stomach. You can go by how you feel. I have noticed that long workouts including a lot of weight lifting will make me feel shaky, so I will have something small before working out like a protein bar.

Congratulations! I have to work out in the morning, too, otherwise it rarely gets done.
  • zhvah18
    zhvah18 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have always worked out, before the sunrise on an empty stomach. If I eat or drink ANYTHING (besides a little water during the workout) I get very nauseous. If it works for you, do it, if you find you need something maybe try having just a little something to get you through the workout.
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    If and when I get up early enough to exercise in the am I never eat before, I would be sick! Never done me any harm. However, if I were to exercise on an evening on an empty stomach I'd be shakey and light headed! Bizarre!
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I do a 5;45 AM boot camp (Insanity like workout) on an empty stomach. If I eat prior to working out that early I get sick during the workout. I DO make sure to eat something with protein within an hour of working out, however.
    It makes me feel good all day, and if I don't do it first thing in the morning I find I don't do it at all!
  • Wyoruby
    Wyoruby Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It's just personal preference some like to workout on a full stomach and others like to work out on an empty stomach. I usually will have a small cup of sugar free cappuccino and then do my workout. Just do what ever works best for you, if you can't handle a totally empty stomach then eat a small granola bar or protien bar.
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out on a empty stomach!!!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I started today and I did the eliptical for 30 min. I feel really energized and awake.....I hope I don't crash later! But I am wondering is it ok to exercise on an empty stomach?

If you feel good keep doing it. I do 6-7 miles in the morning all the time with nothing but a glass of water before I run. You're correct that eating a lot before a long workout sucks. It's better to do it on empty. If you like have a glass of OJ or a small snack but there's no need to eat before you exercise first thing in the morning. This is why your body likes to store fat. It's reserve energy for when you haven't had a meal in a while.
  • winchestervol63
    winchestervol63 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I do it pretty much every day and feel great. If it works for you too, then go for it!
  • cbeckl
    cbeckl Posts: 79
    Options
    I run almost every morning at 3am prior to getting myself and my kids (4 & 7) ready for the day. I never eat prior to my runs and have had no issues to date. As long as you eat a good meal after your exercise you should be fine. Base it on how you feel during your workouts.
  • kbauman09
    kbauman09 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on you and how hard your workouts are. I cannot possibly think about working out on an empty stomach. I eat oatmeal about 1 1/2 hours before I workout and it works for me. I also do very tough bootcamp-style workouts with heavy lifting. I guess just try out a couple of things to see what works for you! Good luck!
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I do my workouts in the morning on an empty stomach! I feel fine, but I definitely have to have breakfast soon after. Like others have mentioned, if you are feeling dizzy or weak during the exercise, try a small, light snack before you work out. It's hard to have to wake up any earlier than you already do just to fit in breakfast!
  • jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    If it works for you keep it up. Personally I have to eat something. I used to have a protein smoothie before my workout now I eat a big breakfast and go straight to the gym. I dont get sick and if I don't have that meal I feel so weak.
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have trained for 3 half marathons first thing in the morning on an empty stomach . . . Do what ever works for you and enjoy it.
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I prefer the morning workout as well (Mon-Fri, weekends off). I get up a 0630 and I have always done my workout on an empty stomach. Currently, I do weights Mon-Wed-Fri consisting of a whole body workout and Tues-Thurs is a 35 min elliptical program.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    A 2009 study found that subjects who lifted weights in a fasted state enjoyed a greater “intramyocellular anabolic response” to the post-workout meal. Levels of p70s6 kinase – a muscle protein synthesis signaling mechanism that acts like an “indicator” of muscle growth – one hour after a fasted workout doubled levels compared to one hour after a fed workout (in the same group). In other words, fasting boosted (physiological indicators of) post-workout muscle growth.

REF : https://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting-exercise-workout-recovery/
    Work out in a fasted state - Although advanced techniques to get to super low body fat percentages are beyond the scope of this article, here’s another tactic if you want to drop the last few percentage points: strength training in a fasted state first thing in the morning, and don’t consume your first meal of the day until at least 30 minutes to an hour AFTER your workout. This is a technique taught to me by Vic Magary who has used it to drop incredible amounts of body fat in a short amount of time.

REF : http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/02/body-fat-percentage/
  • sarahDickson501
    sarahDickson501 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I id it today for the first time to try it and I do the 30 day shred and only lasted 15 min before puking but since I hadn't eaten, it was a lot of heaving :( I will start getting up and immediately having at least my morning cup of cottage cheese (YUM!) and water then get dressed for workout which should give my food a few min to settle. :) Good luck!!
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Hi MFP! I just rejoined MFP and still looking for some supportive friends so please feel free to add me. I have decided to workout at 5am before I get my day started since I haven't been able to find time to workout in the evening with 2 kids (1 1/2 & 7). I started today and I did the eliptical for 30 min. I feel really energized and awake.....I hope I don't crash later! But I am wondering is it ok to exercise on an empty stomach? I don't know how I would eat before working out since I am already getting up at 5 am and if I did eat how long do I have to wait after eating to exercise? Please help me :)

I am 34, 5 foot 1, 170lbs working towards 150lbs

I get nauseous if I don't eat something and if I am going extra long I have to have a carb gel to keep from getting nauseous. If you find that your body requires something, maybe try a gel or some gummy gels. Just listen to your body.
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I have to work out on the emptiest stomach I can manage because otherwise I get sick-feeling during the workout. I would say as long as you don't feel shaky or ill, it's probably great because then you don't have a bunch of blood in your stomach trying to work on the food when you really need the blood to be circulating a bunch of oxygen! If I feel sick-ish in early mornings, often just having a few sips of water will make me feel better and calm my stomach.
  • just_fur_luck
    just_fur_luck Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different.
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Its fine. I have tried it before and I didn't have the energy. I felt like I push myself harder if I workout later in the day. If you feel great, then go for it! If not, this has worked for me on days that I know I can't workout after work. I have a few bites of Greek yogurt or a banana and a boiled egg. I then brush my teeth, iron my clothes, or any other things I would do to get my day going and then workout about 15-20minutes later.