Help, I've fallen and can't get back up. Support needed.

Options
Hi All,
I am a 49 year old woman that has struggled with weight issues, based on emotional eating, since I was eight years old.

I signed up with My Fitness Pal in the early part of the year. I was really excited with the format and the possibility that this time things would be different. I did well with my journaling for about 3 weeks, and then I just stopped and began with daily binging. Although I think journaling would have been helpful even during the binge period, I made excuses why I didn't do it - "Too much of a hassle to record unmeasured amounts" & frankly I was ashamed even to admit to myself how out of control I was and still am.

I am looking for a support network of people that can help to keep me motivated as well as people I can talk to when I have the urge to binge.

Another area I am struggling with is getting myself to exercise.

Replies

• jq526
    jq526 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with binging since I was 14, almost 10 years now. We can kick this! I'll add you :)
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    you CAN do this.. but only one day at a time...ok so you messed. up.. stop beating yourself up and get started again.. we ALL do it, we all have times where we just not doing it the way we should.. you can get back on track honest!!!One day, one meal at a time...don't overwhelm yourself or beat yourself up with guilt, instead use that energy to commit to yourself :)
  • memubo99
    memubo99 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Im 47 and just take a look at the last 4 days in my diary and see my binges!
    Have used mfp before but would stop once I'd binge and so would spiral out of control.

This time I was doing well up until 4 days ago, but what's different this time is that I logged my binges- as much as I can remember. Its shocking to see it. I was feeling brilliant on a low carb diet and today I feel rotten, and am sick of eating crap, so tomorrow I;m back to eating well.

I'd love some company....
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Watching others is a great inspiration. From the moment I started beefing up my Friends list, I was not only inspired by what so many other people on here have accomplished, but I also felt accountable for MY actions since my food diary is open to Friends.

Feel free to add me; I'm recovering from a bad patch myself but I'm swearing off fast food (my Achilles heel) until Memorial Day Weekend. I don't set strict weight goals for myself but I am working on getting these last 36 pounds off and being under 200 by 2014! And if I can do it, so can you. :smile:
  • jmsharp1
    jmsharp1 Posts: 29
    Options
    Hi! I'm an emotional eater myself! Plus I just love food! It's a hard habit to beat I know too! I am determined to do it this time. I've got 3 beautiful kids to inspire and be healthy for. Taking care of everyone else has its downfalls. It's high time I realize it's impossible to take care of everyone else if I'm not fit to do it! Sending you a request
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Change the title of your feed... you're never going to get anywhere with THAT attitude. You CAN get back up. Through inner strength and support, but the attitude is DONE. You're starting fresh, who cares about the past... move forward :) Good luck.
  • Healthy_gms
    Healthy_gms Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'll add you! I can relate!! =)
    I don't show my diary, but I may open it up... if you want the password message me.
    I know you can do it, and you'll feel so proud and physically feel better inside. =)
    Best wishes, Gretchen
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    just remember this when you are binging.

it takes you to stop.

you have to say to yourself STOP.

Sometimes the binging is stronger than our willpower. But if you can manage to take your binging sessions down from one week to 5 days, or 5 hours to 3 hours, that IS a VICTORY.

Log everything and if you aren't sure, log high. It's gonna suck and it will hurt your feelings, but trust me, down the road when you next binge it will factor in unconsciously.

Maybe the next time you binge you will only remember that those chips were700 calories once you finished the whole bag....

but maybe the third time you will make a different choice....

unconscious eating is an excuse, conscious eating is an invitation to change.

just do it.
  • trixie315
    trixie315 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    we are here for you! I think that most of us here can completely understand where you are coming from and can relate. One idea for you that helped me. Change ONE habit this week to start back up. Like no fast food or no sweets or walk once a day. This really helped me get back on track this week-I stayed away from sweets :) hope you have a good week ahead!
  • luiescott
    luiescott Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I would agree that following others has been a big inspiration for me. I'm so glad you decided to come back. Don't be afraid to call out for help when you need it! Today is a new day!
  • Denise8P
    Denise8P Posts: 23
    Options
    You CAN get back up, the fact that you are here and posting proves that much :) Friend request sent! I look forward to watching you succeed.
  • luiescott
    luiescott Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Im 47 and just take a look at the last 4 days in my diary and see my binges!
    Have used mfp before but would stop once I'd binge and so would spiral out of control.

This time I was doing well up until 4 days ago, but what's different this time is that I logged my binges- as much as I can remember. Its shocking to see it. I was feeling brilliant on a low carb diet and today I feel rotten, and am sick of eating crap, so tomorrow I;m back to eating well.

I'd love some company....

Memubo99...TODAY is a new day...why wait until tomorrow? I'm proud of you for not giving up!!!
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    just remember this when you are binging.

it takes you to stop.

you have to say to yourself STOP.

Sometimes the binging is stronger than our willpower. But if you can manage to take your binging sessions down from one week to 5 days, or 5 hours to 3 hours, that IS a VICTORY.

Log everything and if you aren't sure, log high. It's gonna suck and it will hurt your feelings, but trust me, down the road when you next binge it will factor in unconsciously.

Maybe the next time you binge you will only remember that those chips were700 calories once you finished the whole bag....

but maybe the third time you will make a different choice....

unconscious eating is an excuse, conscious eating is an invitation to change.

just do it.

THIS THIS THIS THIS!
  • memubo99
    memubo99 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks, have to wait til tomorrow, I'm from Ireland and have binged today already.
  • misalillstead
    misalillstead Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posters! :) Change the mind set... you can beat this! Sending a request!

Anyone may feel free to add me too!
  • suzettesuzy
    Options
    First off, remember regardless of how big or small you are, YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL JUST THE WAY YOU ARE. Now, I know at times when you fall back into habit it's easy to remain that way because, well, that's all you've known but just remember you're here and alive today meaning you have another chance to change your mindset and make better decisions.

As I write this to you I am convincing myself that today is the day, today is the day I stop making excuses and stop falling back on bad habits and YOU CAN TOO! Together we can do this, all of us, one pound at a time. Think of the future and how happy this will make you, not how sad the bad decisions have made you.

YOU CAN DO THIS, BUT YOU NEED TO START NOW! Best of luck, let's do this together!
  • catmaranwar
    catmaranwar Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I did the exact same thing!!....i was on MFP last year and was doing well, and then summer time and the binges started....it became a "hassle" like you said to journal and so everything went by the wayside....*sigh*....BUT....I am up and at 'em again and this time am finding that if i kind of stick to the same basic thing for breakfast and lunch every day it seems to be easier to journal. (this was a tip from someone who had lost 100+ lbs) I know its hard to do sometimes, but then I find that I KNOW what the calories are even before I eat 'em! Also, you just have to tick off the food from your favorites and don't have to go looking for stuff. (how lazy am I?...lol) but, it makes things so much easier. Dinner is a little more logging...but it too is getting easier to do. I am actually thinking about just doing up a 2 week dinner menu so that it will also be easier to follow....keep me on track, so to speak. Hang in there!!...you are definitely not alone in this struggle!!!
  • teebeegeebee
    teebeegeebee Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hi

first of all - relax, it is ok to have a relapse.....everyone does it, however most people are not able to admit it so well done you for stating the problem
    as previous posters have suggested take one day at a time, set yourself some small goals to get you going on the journey, here's some suggestions and there are lots of things you can try

1 walk for 10mins every morning and evening
    2 instead of jumping into a food calorie counting diet plan take a week and be honest and just record everything you eat or drink, dont stress just act normal with it
    3 review your plan and make a decision to reduce or remove 3 things each week - so a cookie becomes a treat on a sunday morning with coffee and the papers rather than a daily thing etc.
    4 after 4 weeks you will see some changes if you do a now and back then review of your diary both for food and exercise
    5 set a long term goal and reward, for example - if I lose 10lbs this month/quarter then I will buy xxx? go to the spa etc etc

feel free to add me if you like, my journey has been long and took me a while to get my head around what I need to do

best of luck

Matt
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    I'm new to MFP. I'm doing this because at 41 I have high blood pressure and a family history of diabetes, heart disease and cancer. I've gotta get in shape. A couple things that have helped me are the food diary --guess at the amount if you have to, but be honest with yourself -- and read some of the posts that pop up. I am amazed at the amount of support I'm seeing for others trying to lose weight and get fit.
    As for motivation for exercise, I'm learning that if I get to it early in the day, I'm more apt to do it. I walk sometimes if my husband is able to watch our son, but lately I crank up the music. Anything upbeat to get you moving. My son loves music and "boogies" right along with me so that helps. I can't dance to save my life but I can move and keep going, even if I have to rest a minute or two here and there. My main focus is to keep the music blasting so I feel compelled to move and the time moving adds up quickly. :) Feel free to add me if you wish. I'd love to have some online support.
  • Goin4goal
    Goin4goal Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Please don't give up. You can't succeed if you don't TRY!!! We're all here for you anytime you need to talk. We all have good days and we have not so good days, but the thing that will get us to where we want to be is - Not Giving UP!!!!!! I find that knowing a day ahead of time what I'm going to eat the next day helps. It makes you in control of your day. You can friend me if you like.