55 and new to MFP

Options
2»

Replies

• snowwhite7
    snowwhite7 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am 53 and have lost "about" 8 pounds since January. It's slow and steady! I joined a group that is supposed to lose a pound a week....which for me, is not the case, BUT... I am still in it... and it, and mfp friends, motivate me and keep me accountable. Since starting, my goal is to lose 20-25 pounds. I eat "normally", but try to be mindful, and I exercise AT LEAST three times a week. It has to be a lifestyle. You can do it... add me as a friend, if you'd like. Good Luck!
  • ogsuarez
    ogsuarez Posts: 3
    Options
    I am 55 as well and have lost over 30. I am currenly stuck but it is probably because i have been on a sweet binge. Algthough I count the calories of the sweets it can't be good for me.

I also need to include a little bit of exercise which i amy not getting much of.

I have tried other diets in the past and I can lose the weight. My issue is keeping it off. I am hoping that I can learn to eat right and make the better choice.

Congratulations on joining.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Yes. I am doing pretty well except for the last stubborn 10 pounds or so.

- Follow the suggestions in the app.
    - Exercise 3 or more times a week.
    - If it is going too slow, maybe up your protein and lower your carbs.

Good luck!
  • joanmarienana
    joanmarienana Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hello & Welcome! I am 55, joined MFP in November & have taken off (not lost because I don't intend to find them again!) over 50 pounds! My waist was 39 inches, and I couldn't even wear size 20 pants unless they had elastic waists! My waist is now 31 inches, and grocery shopping 2 weeks ago, my size 12 pants (with a waistband) were actually falling down, so I am comfortably fitting into size 10s!
    My diary is open, so feel free to check it out. For carbs, I enjoy LOTS of veggies, and a little fruit & whole grains. I try to get plenty of protein ,from nonfat/lowfat dairy & lean meats/fish, since I do strength training to preserve my muscle mass. I try to include healthy fats from extra virgin olive oil, avocado, nuts, & seeds in moderation.
    Best wishes in your fitness journey! It may take a little more determination at our age, but definitely doable!
    Feel free to add me as a friend, or message me if I can help.
    Joan