What is your idea of a well balanced breakfast?

Options
13»

Replies

• IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I have some issues in this department.... I love bacon, any kind of bacon, but someone informed me that turkey bacon isn't good for you (lots of nitrates). I love eggs and egg whites, I love oatmeal, plain with 2oz. of unsweetened almond milk, 1 oz of sugar free syrup, 1 tsp of splenda brown sugar, and 1 mini box of raisins, I love toast, I love about anything for breakfast but I need help balancing it out. Any suggestions?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "balanced". It's fairly ambiguous. I would recommend to eat based on goals, activities and projected outcome. There is no general "balanced" breakfast that does everything for everyone, suits everyone's needs, and goals regardless of weight, age, height, etc. Too many variables. I'd be curious as to what the word "balanced" could even mean in light of that.
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have some issues in this department.... I love bacon, any kind of bacon, but someone informed me that turkey bacon isn't good for you (lots of nitrates). I love eggs and egg whites, I love oatmeal, plain with 2oz. of unsweetened almond milk, 1 oz of sugar free syrup, 1 tsp of splenda brown sugar, and 1 mini box of raisins, I love toast, I love about anything for breakfast but I need help balancing it out. Any suggestions?

My go to breakfast has become no cook refrigerator oats. You can use the recipes there or use them as a guide to find your own. So simple to mix up the night before, and then you eat them cold the next morning.

http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal
  • rachy867
    rachy867 Posts: 32
    Options
    I have a large protein shake every morning, fills me up and keeps me going until lunchtime. Cereals and bread cause me too many problems.
  • cass0632
    cass0632 Posts: 6
    Options
    My personal favorite is a shakeology with fruit and almond milk, it includes my multivitamin and gives me an energy boost for the start of the day.

Some other favorites:
    fage yogurt with blueberries and oatmeal
    eggs, with whole wheat toast and lots of veggies mixed in
    and
    fruit and nut granola with a side of fruit
  • NakAttack
    NakAttack Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Try the applegate turkey bacon...it is expensive, but no nitrates or nitrites!!! The best....hands down!!!
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    1 Italian sausage link, two eggs scrambled with shredded cheese.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    When I read the OP I thought you were asking what combo of foods to eat. I'm still trying to balance each meal with Carbs, Protein and Fat. I think breakfast is the simplest for me because I have steeel cut oats with peanut butter. Carbs, Protien, and fat.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy in the kitchen in the mornings:

4 cups coffee (one small pot) with 2 spoonfuls of non-dairy creamer. . . yes, I'm an addict, I know.
    banana cream protein powder, sometimes with a banana and/or tablespoon of peanut butter
    1 cup almond milk
    multivitamin
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    So... you can't search for a different brand of bacon? One that does not have nitrates? Like a bio one...

Or you can buy ranch rased turkey meat and cure your own turkey at home. There are a lot of meat curing recipies on the internet.
  • loricatta
    Options
    Some people over-complicate things =.= Just make sure you get the vitamins, minerals, proteins and carbs you need throughout the day; stay within your calorie limits; get your exercise. Win. BUT, make sure the foods you eat feel "right" - everyone is different. Being an ADHD type, too much carbs/sugar in the morning knocks me right out after 15 minutes of eating it. I have enough trouble with morning lethargy to add a 15 minute *zing* and *crash* on top of it. Too much protein, and I feel heavy. False sweeteners? Outside of stevia, forget it. Migraine hell. Eat the wrong thing because my system seems to have the finickiness of a colicky Siamese cat, and I will be sitting for the rest of the day in my cubicle hoping that my nearest neighbors are somehow deaf and nose-dead. Sooo, I reach for the in-between, un-elaborate, and usually simplest is best. I grab 2 packets of trader joe's blueberry oatmeal, and I am fine.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    a protein shake, but if
    IF I DECIDE TO HAVE BREAKFAST

protein fats and carbs

/thread
  • blpnana
    blpnana Posts: 36
    Options
    Eat whatever you want - sometimes I have a huge green salad in the morning for breakfast - romaine, red leaf, radicchio, radishes, mung bean sprouts, cucumber with a homeade vinaigrette sprinkled with nutritional yeast. Great way to start a day!!! Some days I have a mix of oatmeal, flax seed, chia seed, cinnamon and coconut sugar with almond milk. Depends on the mood and what my body's wanting that morning! Enjoy! :smile:
  • Ta2dchic20
    Ta2dchic20 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I had cheesy grits (1 cup grits, 1 slice american cheese) with a fried egg and shiracha. Mmmmm

Otherwise I stick with lower sodium bacon (barely any more calories than turkey bacon and much better taste), eggs, and spicy hasbrowns...

Othertimes, I just eat last nights dinner leftover.

Mix it up, you'll be happier you did.
  • OliveDouglas
    Options
    Monday through Saturday I make myself a protein shake (water, protein powder, 1 banana and a tbsp of PB2). Sunday I either make egg whites, flat thins and turkey bacon or have 250 calorie breakfast sandwich.
  • MsDarlene1004
    MsDarlene1004 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do Herbalife to lose my weight and it's been working out AWESOME!!! I usually have a protein shake (OMG SO YUMMY!!!) for breakfast. PROTEIN KEEPS YOU FEELING FULLER LONGER AND DEFINITELY MORE SATISFIED!! If your nutrition is based on PROTEIN you WILL lose weight and maintain the weight loss as well. Another key is LOTS OF WATER!!! I rarely eat a "normal" breakfast, but when I do I don't deprive myself because I'm so good 95% of the time. :wink:
  • Wilbur_NOLA
    Wilbur_NOLA Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You know the only thing that's better than bacon? More bacon! (Gaffigan)

My breakfast consists of a vanilla protein iceed coffe on the way to work at 5:45 AM followed by 1 cup of scrambled egg whites w/ ff mozzerella cheese, 1/2 cup of oatmeal w/ cinnamon and natty pb around 8:00 AM.
  • dluce2569
    dluce2569 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Depends on your diet...breakfast is the most important meal of the day...Sometimes I have smoothies you can add your choice of milk, yogurt or protein powder, different fruits and even spinach. I add raw regular oats to my smoothies. or an omette. I would say a good protein, whole grains and a fruit and/or veggie.
  • sabbyfairy
    sabbyfairy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My usual breakfast is a protein (Greek yogurt, peanut butter, nuts, or eggs), carbs (wheat crackers, oats, granola, or toast), fruit and/or juice, and skim milk. I usually spread it out by eating the carbs and fruit before going out for a run and the protein and milk afterwards, so I guess they could be called two separate meals... However, I try to get this combination to have the most calories out of my meals for the day (usually between 450-700).
  • DivaLuvsDisney
    DivaLuvsDisney Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am really boring when it comes to breakfast and pretty much eat the same thing every day - steel cut oats sweetened with 2 tsp of brown sugar, a chobani greek yogurt and a cup of coffee with a Tbsp of organic half & half.