First time marathon training

Options
I'm sure there are multiple posts about this, but I wanted to make my own, anyway. Decided over the weekend that I'm going to up my already-paid-for half marathon in November to a full. Assuming I feel confident in my ability to complete it (have to decide by end of August). I was training for a 10 miler and a half for the last 6 months, but had some leg problems (who knew runners needed to work their hip abductors too? Not this girl), and am just now finishing up PT.

I can still run 4-6 miles pretty easily with no pain, so upping my mileage for training at this point should work. I'm about 31 weeks out from the marathon, so I was thinking of doing an 18 or 20 week training program and just doubling up more at the beginning, working on some speed work before I start putting in a ton of miles later on..since I have extra time.

1) Any recommendations on plans/ Longest I've run is 8 miles, and I listen to music. So mentally I'm good for long runs, physically, I'm getting back there. But right now my long runs are 4-6 miles, short runs are 2-3.

2) I don't heel strike, but I'm not a midfoot striker. I'm literally somewhere in between. I'm thinking I want to try to get some new shoes without such a cushioned/raised heel. I've been in NB 860v2 for the last 6 months. Any recommendations for shoes to try at the running store? I like having some idea before they start throwing stuff at me.

3) I'm happy accepting encouraging friends from marathoners or others training for a full or a half! :)

Thanks for the help!!!

Replies

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    You DEFINITELY need to work those hip flexors, or you will become injured (or more injured). I learned the hard way.... :sad:

To answer your questions:
    1) Hal Higdon has some great marathon training schedules. For your first, I recommend the novice schedule. Your goal should be to finish.
    2) Go to a running store and get fitted for new shoes. Bring your current shoes so that they can study the wear pattern and put you in the right shoe.
    3) Not currently training, but have run several marathons in my life and have learned a lot - both the easy way AND the hard way.

Good Luck!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    1) Any recommendations on plans/ Longest I've run is 8 miles, and I listen to music. So mentally I'm good for long runs, physically, I'm getting back there. But right now my long runs are 4-6 miles, short runs are 2-3.
    Everyone is probably going to say one of the Higdon plans but I'm using a training plan by Jeff Gaudette on RunKeeper at the moment. Just look around and if you have an idea of what your goal time is it might help you select a better plan.
    2) I don't heel strike, but I'm not a midfoot striker. I'm literally somewhere in between. I'm thinking I want to try to get some new shoes without such a cushioned/raised heel. I've been in NB 860v2 for the last 6 months. Any recommendations for shoes to try at the running store? I like having some idea before they start throwing stuff at me.
    I'm using the NB 870v2. I think it's pretty similar but it has a 8mm heel drop instead of a 12mm drop that the 860 has. 8mm is about as small of a drop you can get in a stability shoe from New Balance. I think Brooks has a 5mm drop stability shoe but you might want to try out the 8 before going lower. The first week in these killed my calves but I love them now. I have nearly 500 miles on them and they still feel great.
    3) I'm happy accepting encouraging friends from marathoners or others training for a full or a half! :)

I'm just training for a half but it you need more friends you can add me.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Higdon is a popular plan. My experiences training for a marathon is try to run as many comfortable miles as you can without pushing to get injured. Listen to your body, and if you keep a lot of the miles easy, you can run more, and that will help you to finish with a more enjoyable experience on reace day.
  • bigbrownkid
    Options
    did my first half last november. my first full marathon is this upcoming saturday. I think it will be possible, but theres a couple basic rules

1) get new shoes
    2) make sure you are healthy
    3) find a program ( i mainly looked at hodgens plan but i didnt follow it exactly)
    4) anticipate setbacks( ive injured my calves,knees,hips, and hamstrings all while training) they will happen at some point, you will need to rest then.
    5) if possible try to incorporate some leg lifting exercises, to help prevent these injuries.
    6) rest.. dont run everyday 3-4 times a week is more than enough
    7) eat... if your running 30+miles a week dont go on a large deficit.. your body needs energy
  • Abbygirl43
    Options
    I trained for my first marathon (ran 2 and 6 half marathons, so far :smile: ) using the progam called Run Less, Run Faster by Bill Pierce. My marathoner friend (who's ran marthons for 15 years) recommended that to me when I decided to commit to running. It was a great program! During the week you get alot of speed training in as well as a tempo run too. The weekend would usually consist of the long run. He really has you watch your pace, so I would suggest getting a watch that tracks your pace and miles. Its a great program! One other thing I would suggest is getting a foam roller and after every run, stretch, use the roller, and learn to like an ice batch after the long run :)
  • Abbygirl43
    Options
    oops meant to say ice bath on that last post! :)
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of the Higdon program for first time marathoners, go with either Novice 1 or Novice 2.
    I am a mid-foot striker and do almost all of my runs in Saucony. I switch between Kinvara 2 and 3 during the week and Cortana for my long runs on the weekend.
  • samanthlou
    Options
    You DEFINITELY need to work those hip flexors, or you will become injured (or more injured). I learned the hard way.... :sad:

To answer your questions:
    1) Hal Higdon has some great marathon training schedules. For your first, I recommend the novice schedule. Your goal should be to finish.
    2) Go to a running store and get fitted for new shoes. Bring your current shoes so that they can study the wear pattern and put you in the right shoe.
    3) Not currently training, but have run several marathons in my life and have learned a lot - both the easy way AND the hard way.

Good Luck!

Big ditto for Hal and the running shoes. The first thing I tell anyone is to go to a running specialty store - not your Academy/****s/etc - and let them fit you. It will make a huge difference.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Between now and when you start the plan your best payoff will be in just building a larger endurance base. Build your miles as high as you comfortably can aiming at somewhere around 40 miles per week the first time around. Do a weekly long run of 2 hrs. Don't worry about the distance, it is the time running that is important.

If you want to do any speed work at all then a weekly tempo run would be of most benefit.
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I have been going regularly to Fleet Feet to get fitted for shoes, but as I've lost weight and gotten more used to running etc. my gait keeps slightly changing. Plus the whole hip flexors thing. Essentially my PT and I are trying to erase the need for teenie tiny arch support by strengthening other muscles.

I will definitely look at some of those training programs, and figure out how to do a good tempo run! Never done one before. I just usually run a pace I can keep for as long as I want to run, but I never really push myself for speed.

keep the advice coming! :)