Anyone else training strength & conditioning?

Options
TerrXL
TerrXL Posts: 9 Member
Hi everyone. New here!

Just wondered if anyone else has their goal in lowering body fat but gaining muscle? Currently training barbell x4 a week with yoga, insanity and indoor bouldering thrown in for variety. Having a blast so far (ask me again in a week.)

Previously played around with BJJ, Muay Thai and going to the gym. Now 100% training at home with only bouldering at a local climbing wall.

Would love to add friends with similar goals (less concern with weight, more with losing those inches.) share recipes, tips and of course offer support to each other.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Building muscle takes progressive overload and calorie surplus. Almost impossible to reduce body fat while doing it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TerrXL
    TerrXL Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Think I didn't really explain myself too clearly. I'm not looking to bulk. Just to create some definition.

Should I be bulking first and then cutting if this is my aim?
  • brillmer
    brillmer Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, you can't really lose weight and build muscle at the same time. Unless you're very new to lifting.

Depending on what your numbers are, you should either focus on cutting (losing weight/fat) and then focus on gaining muscle.. Or vice versa.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Think I didn't really explain myself too clearly. I'm not looking to bulk. Just to create some definition.

If you're just looking for definition, then reduce your body fat percentage.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • maralien24
    Options
    I have been working on my muscles for over a year. I think if I lose 10 to 15 more pounds.... I will be able to see the definition. : )

I lost 18 pounds so far.

http ://empowerment.tsfl.com
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options

If you're just looking for definition, then reduce your body fat percentage.

IDEA Fitness member

He's right. It's a double edged sword there.

To get better muscle definition, you need to add muscle... so more calories.

If you want to lose the fat around the musce you already have and make it look more pronounced... then you need to lower your body fat. Six pack abs come at about 10% BF for men and 12% BF for women.
  • GlenJordan
    Options
    I'm in the same boat--in fact I just started a similar topic because I hadn't seen this.

Why hasn't anyone on this thread acknowledged the fact that all calories are not created equal? You'd think it didn't matter whether we eat lean turkey or ice cream sundaes to "bulk up." Weight = fat, right? :ohwell:

I have a very small pot belly and a little fat around my neck but otherwise I'm kinda skinny: thin arms, etc. My belly probably looks bigger because of my sunken chest. I've been seeing a personal trainer twice a week, starting a few weeks ago.

I could be eating much better, but if I ate less I would faint. So I guess I'm out of luck, right? Mini pot belly for life! :cry:
  • clownfear_7
    Options
    I have lost 68 pounds and have had significant success in building muscle. I'm not huge mind you, but my wife, my friends, and I can definitely tell the difference in my definition and size.
    I work out 5 mornings a week at a gym. I change up my exercise plan every few weeks to keep it fresh, to keep me interested, and to keep my body guessing. Currently I am using cardio machines (whether it's the Lateral, Eliptical, Treadmill, or rowing machine) for about 15 minutes to get warmed up. I then do 30 minutes of plyometrics using weights (weights vary, but no more than 12 pound dumbell). This current workout is kicking my butt and I am getting effective strength gains and fat burning. I like to swim the last day of my week for a great full body exercise, but also to limber up.
    I'm not a trainer, I just know what works for me, and right now this is working for me.
    Good luck and stay with it!
  • clownfear_7
    Options
    I just looked on your profile and see that you are a lady. My wife has lost about 32 pounds and this of course decreases her body fat around her muscles. But this alone will not make her muscles defined. She works out about 3 to 4 days a week and she focuses most of her workout on strength training rather than cardio. It is obvious that she has gained muscle size in her arms, her legs, and her back. She is not muscly, but looks very healthy and beautiful, and she is doing both things (fat loss and muscle gain) at the same time.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I'm in the same boat--in fact I just started a similar topic because I hadn't seen this.

Why hasn't anyone on this thread acknowledged the fact that all calories are not created equal? You'd think it didn't matter whether we eat lean turkey or ice cream sundaes to "bulk up." Weight = fat, right? :ohwell:

I have a very small pot belly and a little fat around my neck but otherwise I'm kinda skinny: thin arms, etc. My belly probably looks bigger because of my sunken chest. I've been seeing a personal trainer twice a week, starting a few weeks ago.

I could be eating much better, but if I ate less I would faint. So I guess I'm out of luck, right? Mini pot belly for life! :cry:
    A calorie is a calorie regardless of the source. A calorie is a unit of energy therefore, 1 calorie of fat=1calorie of protein=1 calorie of carbs. Macro nutrient CONTENT and how it's absorbed, what hormones it affects and utilized by the body is where there's a difference.

IDEA Fitness member
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I've been a competitive weightlifter for 15yrs. I'm going to cut for 12 weeks until the British Championships and see how I am. This will be the first time I've really cut so it will be interesting.

Koing