Menu 1200 Calories

Options
Hello All,

I am trying to come up with a tasty 1200 calorie menu for the work week. I have no food limitations, but would like to enjoy a glass of red wine most nights. If you have a favorite menu you use and would like to share, please do!!!

Sara

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    1200 calories that includes red wine is not going to get you a lot to eat. If you're serious about sticking to 1200 calories, I'd strongly recommend giving up the wine so you can actually eat more and not be miserable. Otherwise, do 1200 calories plus 1 6 oz. glass of wine.

Eat a lot of veggies and lean protein and throw in some fruit for good measure. I love egg whites scrambled with cheese in a wrap or as a sandwich on an English muffin for breakfast. A salad or wrap for lunch with peas in the pod and an apple.

Lean protein + veggie makes a good dinner.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    8oz of pasta, sauce, parm and your wine
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I eat well above 1200 but might as well share that I actually have to *try* to get above that number with my diet.

Eating mostly meats with all meals, then vegetables and oils, I get full quickly and for awhile off of this while my meals consist of around 300-400 calories. I've taken out bread and most dairy and have really noticed a difference. I make a protein shake in the evening packed full of extra calories to get to where I need to be at the end of the day.

So that's a basic menu: meat/vegetables with oils & fats and lots of spices to keep it interesting.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    With only 10 lbs to lose, why on earth are you trying to starve yourself on 1200 calories?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • parrotlady66
    Options
    there is a book through Amazon that will have all kinds of great recipes for the 1200 calorie diets .. you can try there I think it is not that expensive either
  • rosie7693
    rosie7693 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I find the really low calorie dinners always have a distinct lack of carbs, like a stir fry with a lot of veggies and no rice or noodles. Have you ever tried falafel? The bbcgoodfood recipe for falafel burgers is fantastic, it's just chickpeas and lots of nice flavours which you can have in a wrap with whatever salad you like. I love avocado and red onion and a bit of chutney! It's so low calorie and also really cheap which is a bonus. If you like fish then I would recommend grilling a fillet of salmon and serving it with lots of mango salsa. You can get a mango for a pound and it's so lovely and fresh tasting! I made that for my friends the other day with some teriyaki noodles on the side and they absolutely loved it. Especially because I grilled the salmon on a really high heat so the skin went lovely and crispy! These are both less than 400 calories which I think is really good for a decent dinner that isn't a boring salad. Hope this was helpful hehe xxx
  • Twinklegirl34
    Twinklegirl34 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    This sounds yum! Can I steal it :)
  • JesT23
    JesT23 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I eat 1250 calories everyday. It really isn't too hard if it is appropriate for your body size. I'm 5 foot so 1200ish seems to be ideal for my weight loss. Here is a typical day for me unless I do intense cardio (in which case I add more cals):

Breakfast, around 150 calories - Spicy Veggie Omelet: 1 large egg beaten (fluffed with 1 oz of water, not milk), 1/4 cup reduced fat 2% shredded mozzarella, 2 tbs chopped onion, 2 tbs chopped red pepper, and 1/2 cup shredded spinach. I season it all with lots of cayenne/black pepper/garlic powder to taste. I used non-stick spray and a smaller frying pan to add volume. I enjoy this with one cup of brewed hot green tea and a lemon slice.

Lunch, around 450 calories- Open-face Turkey Burger: homemade (grilled ahead of time if necessary) 4 oz turkey pattie (93% lean ground turkey, 2 tbs onions, 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder, 1 egg white, 1/2 tsp coriander, 1 tsp parsley, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp worchestershire sauce), 1/2 medium vine ripened tomato, 1/4 sliced avocado, 1 slice reduced fat provolone cheese, 1 dark lettuce leaf, 1 tsp spicy brown mustard, 1 toasted slice of whole grain rye bread.

Dinner, between 400-450 calories (depending on amt of oil used)- Shrimp and Veggies with Rice or Soba Noodles: 10 large cleaned/boiled shrimp, 1 cup long grain wild rice or 1/2 bundle of buckwheat soba noodles, 1 cup broccoli, 1/4 cup shaved carrots, 1/2 cup cut mushrooms (or whatever veg you prefer. I usually cook all the vegetables together). I toss the starch with garlic, basil, oregano, onion salt and a spritz of olive oil for flavor. Then, I add in the cooked vegetables.

Snack, around 125 calories- Fruit Smoothie: 1 cup fat free, lactose free milk (my preference) blended with 1/2 cup frozen fruit.

My food diary is public. I believe in making time for cooking. These meals should take less than 15 minutes each.
  • wendylgoodman
    wendylgoodman Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Here is my typical day. Under 900 cals. Lots of fruit and veggies though! :)
    Breakfast
    Oranges - Raw, navels, 1 fruit (2-7/8" dia) 69

Lunch
    Cauliflower - Raw, 0.25 head, medium (5-6" dia) 36
    Carrots - Raw, 1 cup, chopped 52
    Yoplait - Yoplait Source Greek Yogurt- Strawberry-50 Calories, 100 g 50
    Spinach feta pizza, 1 serving(s) 146
    Oranges - Raw, navels, 1 cup sections, without membranes 81

Dinner
    Wonderbread - Classic White Hamburger Buns, 1 bun 110
    Blue Water Seafoods - Fish Burger Fillets, 1 portion 150
    Homemade - Sweet Potato Fries - Baked, 35 Fries 150

Snacks
    Fresh Mixed Berries - (Blueberries, Raspberries, Blackberries) Net Carbs, 0.5 cup 30

Totals 874
  • sara4544
    sara4544 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks also for the suggestions.