Ladies....will someone post their heavy lifting routine?

Options
Hi. All

Can someone post this and also include how many reps and sets should be done or be able to complete before you can't do anymore reps.

Thanks

Replies

• dtdam
    dtdam Posts: 20
    Options
    I am also interested in this topic !!!

Also, what size weights you are using?
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Ladies will be doing exactly the same as men bar the weight used difference and the aim is for failure at 8 to 10 reps and anything over put the weights up to compensate .

Attitude is everything, push to muscle failure, rather than use mental failure as an excuse to stop !!
  • aprilsirota
    aprilsirota Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    So would it be 8 reps total or a certain number of sets that include 8 reps until muscle fail? I have a book on its way but excited to start. Thanks in advance.
  • HereWeGoAgain7
    HereWeGoAgain7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Strength Training Sets Reps/Set Weight/Set
    Abdominal Crunches 3 sets to failure
    Triceps Push Down 3 sets 10-12 reps at a weight that makes it hard to complete the 12 reps
    Standing Medium-Grip Barbell Curl 3 sets 10-12 reps at a weight that makes it hard to complete the 12 reps
    Barbell Military Press 3 sets 10-12 reps at a weight that makes it hard to complete the 12 reps
    Standing Calf Raises 3 sets 15-20 reps at a weight that makes it hard to complete the 20 reps
    Bench Press, Barbell 3 sets 10-12 reps at a weight that makes it hard to complete the 12 reps
    Barbell Row, Bent-over 3 sets 10-12 reps at a weight that makes it hard to complete the 12 reps
    Squat 3 sets 10-12 reps at a weight that makes it hard to complete the 12 reps

2-3 mins of rest between sets for everything but calf raises and crunches
    1-2 mis of rest between sets for calf raises and crunches
    Crunches to failure.

When it is "easy" to complete the 12 reps bump up your weight until you can only complete 10 reps and build to 12 again...repeat.

This is my full body workout. I rotate between this and three other lifting workouts so that my body doesn't get used to it. If you want more, friend me and I will open my diary for you to view it.
  • HereWeGoAgain7
    HereWeGoAgain7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Strength Training Sets Reps/Set Weight/Set
    Abdominal Crunches 3 sets to failure
    Triceps Push Down 3 sets 10-12 reps at a weight that makes it hard to complete the 12 reps
    Standing Medium-Grip Barbell Curl 3 sets 10-12 reps at a weight that makes it hard to complete the 12 reps
    Barbell Military Press 3 sets 10-12 reps at a weight that makes it hard to complete the 12 reps
    Standing Calf Raises 3 sets 15-20 reps at a weight that makes it hard to complete the 20 reps
    Bench Press, Barbell 3 sets 10-12 reps at a weight that makes it hard to complete the 12 reps
    Barbell Row, Bent-over 3 sets 10-12 reps at a weight that makes it hard to complete the 12 reps
    Squat 3 sets 10-12 reps at a weight that makes it hard to complete the 12 reps

2-3 mins of rest between sets for everything but calf raises and crunches
    1-2 mis of rest between sets for calf raises and crunches
    Crunches to failure.

When it is "easy" to complete the 12 reps bump up your weight until you can only complete 10 reps and build to 12 again...repeat.

This is my full body workout. I rotate between this and three other lifting workouts so that my body doesn't get used to it. If you want more, friend me and I will open my diary for you to view it.

Oops...forgot to add do this 3x a week with a day off from strength training in between. I generally do 30 mins of (high intensity) cardio on lifting days and 60 mins of moderate intensity cardio on non-lifting days.
  • SaritaBeth
    SaritaBeth Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For me when I first started lifting my trainer had me begin with 15lb hand weights/dumbbells. At that time I thought my arms were going to fall off by the time the exercises were over! Depending on the exercise, I was doing reps from 8-25, so it really comes down to weight amount and type of exercise, some parts of your arms, shoulders, legs will be able to withstand more weight than other, so you have to be mindful of that and adjust accordingly. When I was a beginner, I would do 1 "set" of 5-6 different exercises/lifts with rests in between. Once the first "set" was over, I would repeat it 3 times and decrease the amount of reps per set because my muscles would be resisting or tiring more as the movements continued (i.e. first set would have 20 reps, 2nd set 15, 3rd set 10). For the different exercises/lifts, I would be pushing myself to the point of muscle fatigue/muscle failure, but not to a dangerous level where I would feel pain (that means something is wrong, i.e. too much weight/not proper form). The most important thing is form! Make sure you have form down and then start upping the weights if you're not feeling challenged. Right now, I am at 20/25 lbs hand weights, and 40-50 for bar/weights for most of my lifting, you can check out my pic and see that lifting does work! I also drink a protein shake within 30 mins of my lift session to reduce soreness. I hope this helped...!
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5

Squats, Bench Press, Pendlay Rows, Overhead Press, Deadlifts

Start with an empty barbell and work up.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • SaritaBeth
    SaritaBeth Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    One of my arms routine:

Bench press with 20lbs dumbbells x 20 reps
    Overhead press with one 20lbs dumbbell x 20 reps
    Dips on edge of bench, x 25 reps
    Rest
    Arm side raises with 20lbs dumbbells x 20 reps
    Squats with one 20lbs dumbells x 30 reps
    Snatch with 20lbs dumbbells x 20 reps
    Rest
    Repeat both sets
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 - lift 3 days a week, alternating between these two workouts. Start with an empty bar and increase you weight weekly. the last reps should be difficult to complete. I will put my current numbers in there, but do not compare yourself to them. this is just what i have been able to achieve.

Workout A
    -Squats 5x5 - 165lbs
    -Bench Press 5x5 - 85lbs
    -Bent Over Rows 5x5 - 85lbs

Workout B
    -Squats 5x5
    -Overhead Press 5x5 - 65lbs
    -Deadlifts 1x5 - 185lbs
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    If you're doing ~12 reps or more, then you're not doing heavy lifting.. If you're talking specifically strength training, then thats a bit more specific as to what it is. and that would be 5 reps or less.

Unless of course there the OP is mistaken on terms and means some other form of heavy lifting.

Generally for a beginner, pick either SL 5x5 or New rules of lifting for women, or Starting Strength. Take your pick. They are all based upon the same sort of thing though. low reps, high weight, compound freeweight movements and progressively increasing the weight.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Here's mine below-

Here's my general routine-

I workout 3 days per week. About 35-45 minutes of lifting followed by 15-20 minutes of cardio.

Monday- Legs day- Barbell Squats (3 sets of 7-9), Bicep Curls (3 sets of 12. I do this mostly because its a small muscle groups and i don't hit it any other day during the week), Barbell Lunges (I get a 60lb preacher curl bar, put it on like a barbell for squats and do two passes across my gym. It around 50 lunges on each leg), I grab two 45lb plates (i have poor grip strength which is why i use this method) and do 3 sets of 25 calf raises. I will usually follow up with incline hack squats (3 sets of 9). Then 20 minutes eliptical.
    Squats, Bicep Curls, Lunges, Calf Raises, Incline Hack squats, 20 minutes eliptical

Wed- Back and Tricep day- Deadlifts with barbell (3 set 7-9), Tricep push downs (3 sets 7-9), Good Mornings (3 sets 7-9), Tricep kick backs, Seated rows, Bent-Over Rear Delt Raise, assisted pull ups, 20 minutes of eliptical.

Fri- Chest and Abs- Bench Press (3 sets of 8), Arnold Press3 sets of 8), Chest Flies3 sets of 8), hanging leg lifts 3 of 8, plank, oblique twists, lemon squeezers, 20 minutes eliptical.

I don't really follow the above to a T, however, it's usually in that range. Essentially you can do atleast 7 but no more than 9. Or like the others have said atleast 8 but no more than 10 each set. ;)
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I do upper body 2-3 times a week and one of those sessions is always a "heavy day", meaning for each lift I do 3 sets of a weight that I can only complete 4-5 reps w/good form. Other 2 upper body days are either hypertrophy (8-12 rep range) or high rep (12-15 rep) depending on my mood and recovery.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing Nia Shanks' (S)Hero program. It alternates between 3 days/week of full body compound moves and 4 days/week upper/lower split. Most of your 'work sets' are a weight you can do no more than 5-7 reps of and then your second 'work set' is a drop set (lowering the weight) and doing as many as possible.

If you are just starting, I highly recommend starting with Strong Lifts or Starting Strength. It will get you doing the basic powerlifting moves and get you comfortable with those. Your strength will increase and they are both relatively simple to follow.
  • openskybeach
    openskybeach Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Good stuff. bump.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5

Squats, Bench Press, Pendlay Rows, Overhead Press, Deadlifts

Start with an empty barbell and work up.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Stronglifts is great.
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    It varies.

I completely advise everyone now to start off with a program like StrongLifts 5x5, Starting Strength, NROLFW, etc.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I'm following the Starting Strength program.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    5 sets of 5 for everything unless stated otherwise. i increase weight every workout by 2.5-5 pounds until i stall then i drop to 3 sets of 5 . when i stall from there then i know it's time to take a break

workout A:
    deadlift
    front squat
    cleans (3 sets of 8)
    bench press
    overhead press

workout B
    back squat
    overhead squat
    snatch (3 sets of 8)
    bent row
    DB shoulder press
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    For the hot stud chicks in my FL to answer.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I do this
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html

Although I have changed some of the exercises, but thats the basis of what I do.