what can i lift if i dont have any weights?

Options
sounds a really daft question, but is there any way i could start lifting at home without having to buy any kit? am a complete newbie to this topic, so not to sure where to start. Any ideas would be great!

Replies

• wandajean1966
    Options
    Try using water bottles I know they are not that heavy but when you do a lot of reps they do get heavy
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    water bottles

if you drink milk, when the gallon is empty, wash it out and fill it with water.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    You can use sand bags, water bags, books, backpacks, get creative.

Also look into convict conditioning or You Are Your Own Gym.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I sometimes bench press my nephew. Just grab (kidnap?) a kid and start lifting him/her. They love it!
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    google strength training using bodyweight. You might be better off doing something like that instead of lifting objects around the house. New rules of lifting book might be a good place to start :)
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Use your body weight.

I just went to a class yesterday that used STRICTLY body weight moves and my muscles are SCREAMING today. Hahahah.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Do body weight exercises - push-ups, sit-ups, planks, tricep dips, etc (google for more ideas)

Use a gallon jug. Completely full, they weigh about 8 pounds but of course you can just fill it part way if that's too much for you in the beginning.
  • cng31183
    cng31183 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Fill up a duffle bag and use that. Bodyrock.com shows how to swing one like a kettlebell. Same motion different object. You can also hold it while squatting. Use cans for flys. Use a rope and an old tire and run around your yard dragging the tire behind you in place of a sled. If you have small kids you could bench press or deadlift them.
  • tommyo3000
    Options
    Check out this site for a beginner full body workout with no weights.. Well, one weight, but you can use a milk jug or something..
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/beginning-workout-plan/
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    "You are your own gym" for body weight exercises

empty milk jugs can be filled with water or sand, and they already have a handy handle!

back packs or gym bags have a good handle, and you can fill them with any heavy thing you have around, like books or cans of food
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    In Special "K" cereal boxes they use to give you rubber ball weights to fill with water or sand.
    Otherwise I sometimes use the huge cans of tomato sauce or if all else fails...

use the cat or dog :bigsmile:
  • 123sockmonkey123
    123sockmonkey123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    canned goods, or a chubby cat.
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Humans.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight exercises are highly effective and are all you really need. However if you don't at the very least have access to a pullup bar to perform pullups on (even assisted ones) then there will be muscles you miss. For a good economical choice for fitness highly recommend picking up a doorframe mounted pullup bar. Along with a good pair of shoes it's all you really need to get fit and strong.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    You can buy various sizes of bottled water from the 99 Cent store and use those as weights from small 16 oz. sizes to the gallon jugs.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    DIPS and Pullups!!!!!!!! :bigsmile:
  • SweetJoanne
    SweetJoanne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    bags of potatoes or 2 litre pop bottles as long as they are even
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Body weight workouts are the best!
  • kmanon
    kmanon Posts: 8
    Options
    I've heard good things about You Are Your Own Gym. I'm not so sure about the lifting part but I know some exercises use doors/frames. Here's a YouTube video of some of the workouts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBdOaCakUEk
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You can lift your body weight. For some exercises you can fill a backpack with heavy things (books, rocks, cans of food, etc.) to add weight.