Anyone From Florida!?

Options
2»

Replies

• meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I also live in South Florida, West Broward County/ Fort Lauderdale. The great point about South Florida is the diversity that we have with so many cultures and, if you want, you can experience that with just a short drive and a little planning. The night life is great, downtown Fort Lauderdale and Miami’s South Beach, Coconut Grove, etc… There nothing better than to party with your friends while looking at the ocean across the street, or going to a hip restaurant with your hubby by the beach. We have lots of parks, water sports, fishing, and opportunities to be outdoors. There is no way to express how lucky we are to be able to wear shorts and sandals in the middle of “winter” and if it is a little bit cold all we require is a sweater or light jacket (while wearing shorts and sandals…) If you are into the arts; there is always something going on; from the Opera, art exhibitions, concerts, festivals, etc. We are blesses that if there is a “world tour” for a musician or bad we can be sure they will stop here in one of the three counties. Cons: Summer is hot and humid. Also, afternoon showers, mosquitoes, “snow birds”, lots of tourists, road construction, and high prices for real estate and rentals.

all of Florida is diverse with culture and such..
    i'm in orlando and there's more culture here than i can even consume. its great.
  • hollyyoung71
    hollyyoung71 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I love living in Florida. I am originally from Northern Cal and when I first moved here 16 years ago it was a huge culture shock for me.
    What I have found is that no unlike California, Florida is very different depending on where you go. I would cut it in four sections. You have North Florida near Jacksonville, Gainsville.. etc.. Normally much cooler weather than the rest of the State. Known for lots of medical. You then have the Gulf side of Florida.. ie.. Tampa, Clearwater, St. Petersburg.. beautiful beaches but somewhat different than the east coast beaches because its the Gulf of Mexico and not the Atlantic Ocean. You have Central Florida which includes Orlando and Cocoa Beach... thats where I live. Tons of tourism, great beaches also and tons of rivers to have fun in. In the Orlando area you are going to deal with normal big city traffic but if you go further south east to Cocoa Beach area, you do not have that much traffic to deal with. Then you have Southern Florida which is where I consider more of the Culture of the State. Do not get me wrong, there is a ton of Culture everywhere in this state but its where I have seen personally the most. Also in my opinion the beaches in Southern Florida are much nicer then the beaches in Central Florida. Not as much pollution. The water is much clearer.
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    I grew up in Florida and left for college. I'm 40 now and moved back recently. I love running on the beach, the way the sky is clear blue, the white sand, the constant sea breeze, and the way people are usually quite friendly. I am in the pool or on the beach even in the winter.

I do not like the fact that the tourism industry is such a big part of the economy, nor do I like the number of retirees. Not that I dislike the older set per se, but I do hate their refusal to fund the schools here.

The point is there is some good and some bad. The beach makes up for most of the bad though.

"The point is there is some good and some bad. The beach makes up for most of the bad though." The beach is my favorite place in the world! So this is good to hear!
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    I'm from Florida. I was at the beach last night and the sunset was amazing! It's a beautiful place and I've lived all over the country.

Nice! Where else have you lived??
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    I'm from Miami. I left up north for college. I love the cold, I love winter and the activities. So I can say that after 26 years, I'm finally learning to love my city. It has a little bit of everything. I don't really go to the beach, but you we usually have great weather, except for rainy season.

I have a love/hate relationship, but that's a long story and I HATE the traffic and compared to other states, people can be rude at times. But I usually keep to myself anyways. lol.

I am opposite lol..HATE the cold and snow related activites!! Haha I'm over it at this point I think!!!! Needing the sunshine and warmth :glasses:

Edited to add something about the rude ppl....I live in CT, cold as ice the ppl are here..mean!
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    I love living in Florida. I am originally from Northern Cal and when I first moved here 16 years ago it was a huge culture shock for me.
    What I have found is that no unlike California, Florida is very different depending on where you go. I would cut it in four sections. You have North Florida near Jacksonville, Gainsville.. etc.. Normally much cooler weather than the rest of the State. Known for lots of medical. You then have the Gulf side of Florida.. ie.. Tampa, Clearwater, St. Petersburg.. beautiful beaches but somewhat different than the east coast beaches because its the Gulf of Mexico and not the Atlantic Ocean. You have Central Florida which includes Orlando and Cocoa Beach... thats where I live. Tons of tourism, great beaches also and tons of rivers to have fun in. In the Orlando area you are going to deal with normal big city traffic but if you go further south east to Cocoa Beach area, you do not have that much traffic to deal with. Then you have Southern Florida which is where I consider more of the Culture of the State. Do not get me wrong, there is a ton of Culture everywhere in this state but its where I have seen personally the most. Also in my opinion the beaches in Southern Florida are much nicer then the beaches in Central Florida. Not as much pollution. The water is much clearer.

Wow! A ton of great/helpful info here. Thank you so much for taking the time to type al that!:flowerforyou:
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options

Wow! A ton of great/helpful info here. Thank you so much for taking the time to type al that!:flowerforyou:
    Again, a lot of the answers are dependent on what part of Florida you are moving to.
  • mountaingirl2207
    Options
    I'm in Wesley chapel, just north of Tampa. I've only been here a little while, and it took me a while to get used to it.

What I love; warm weather of course, I know I can walk out my front door in a T-shirt every day and be fine. The beaches and pools are nice and fun to go to, and I'm starting to find more and more fun outdoorsy things to do.

What I don't like: the economy sucks, there are a lot of people struggling financially and it is hard to watch. There seems to be more of a drug issue here too, which I worry about for my kids. The traffic is always bad in the city, and the Tampa area is crazy confusing to try to navigate!
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    From someone who moved the opposite way (from FL to CT) I can say I like CT a lot better. Florida bugs are bigger. They pay less (they do have a lower cost of living, but they still pay pretty crappy). You don't get all four seasons in Florida as far as temperature. You'll find that people there were educated differently than people in CT. I was raised in FL and I know a lot different things and a lot fewer things than the people up here do (and I was an A student, so not doing well is not a factor.) The heat is wet and feels like it's suffocating you.

On the other hand, the people in FL are a lot kinder and more mellow than CT. They drive better. And there's better Latin food :smokin:
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    I'm in Wesley chapel, just north of Tampa. I've only been here a little while, and it took me a while to get used to it.

What I love; warm weather of course, I know I can walk out my front door in a T-shirt every day and be fine. The beaches and pools are nice and fun to go to, and I'm starting to find more and more fun outdoorsy things to do.

What I don't like: the economy sucks, there are a lot of people struggling financially and it is hard to watch. There seems to be more of a drug issue here too, which I worry about for my kids. The traffic is always bad in the city, and the Tampa area is crazy confusing to try to navigate!

Wesley Chapel is really bad for drugs and jobs. I grew up in Brooksville, it's even worse there. Meth is the drug of choice for Brooksville.
  • mountaingirl2207
    Options

Wesley Chapel is really bad for drugs and jobs. I grew up in Brooksville, it's even worse there. Meth is the drug of choice for Brooksville.

I actually think WC is the best around. We looked at so many different areas trying to figure out where to live, and WC gave the best options for school quality, less crime/drugs/unemployment. It's also much more updated as far as development goes. Go North in Paso county and it's terrible, go south and you're in the city. The WC/New Tampa area is a pretty coveted area.
  • MurrayBigH
    MurrayBigH Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am in the midst of moving to Broward county. Im excited about the move as the weather has been great. Still learning how to get active around here, but plenty to do thats for sure.
  • DalekBrittany
    Options

I actually think WC is the best around. We looked at so many different areas trying to figure out where to live, and WC gave the best options for school quality, less crime/drugs/unemployment. It's also much more updated as far as development goes. Go North in Pasco county and it's terrible, go south and you're in the city. The WC/New Tampa area is a pretty coveted area.

...not when I was growing up! Wesley Chapel was always a **** hole when I was there, lol. Well it's good that it's on the up-and-up, when I left it was still kind of crappy.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    I am in the midst of moving to Broward county. Im excited about the move as the weather has been great. Still learning how to get active around here, but plenty to do thats for sure.
    I am about 20 minutes North of you.
    Purchase a GOOD umbrella and keep it in your car.
    Thunderstorms are pretty much like clockwork around here in the late afternoon.
  • chelsie_1984
    chelsie_1984 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Not that I want to say anything bad about Florida ( I am a native) but I couldn't agree more about the previous comment on education in the South versus up North. I have family that has moved from here in South Florida (Fort Myers/ Punta Gorda) area to various places up North and all of them have said the kids had to play catch up because we are way behind compared to the Northern States. Everything down here is laid back, which means traffic sucks. Most the people who are driving are in no big hurry because they are vacation. I personally love the heat, I would probably die in the snow. LOL. I hate that it is getting to the point of needed to speak Spanish in South Florida to get a job or order food. Its insane! The pay in Florida is horrible compared to other states. Beaches are nice if they are your thing. I tend to stay away. Guess I had enough of them every Sunday for the first 16 years of my life. Good luck on your move, hope you find a nice area to settle into. Just like any other state there is going to be crummy places to go and crummy people. You just have to make the best of it. Adventure is always fun :-)

***Edited to remove the wrong comment being quoted***
  • bodyrollin
    bodyrollin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    From the Tampa area here, I love it...let's see...good things: sun, beaches, always nice enough to go for a hike, bike, run, etc...people are generally friendly, always something to do because of the warmer wearer there are year round farmers markets, and outdoor events, i really could go on, and on...great nightlife, year round race season, amusement parks, daily thunderstorms during the summer, hurricane parties, etc...

The bad: (disclaimer: I actually like the snowbirds, half the year you get more population driving the economy, and making for more successful events) love bugs (trust me you'll find this one out eventually lol) humidity, election year battleground state makes for tons more BS political coverage, and if you don't like old people this probably isn't the place for you...even Tampa (which is a more youthful area) is surrounded by places like st. Pete, and sun city lol.

So what part of Florida are you moving to?
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    The springs are spectacular.

The yellow flies, cottonmouths and snowbirds on 95 on are not.
  • Rowan813
    Rowan813 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I am in the Orlando area. There is so much to do if you like to get outside. There are lots of ways to get out on the water and have fun. "Olld Florida" is fun to discover. This area tends to be very casual wich can be good or bad. The traffic seems to get worse all of the time. My biggest pet peeve is people who move from the North and expect everything to be just like it was at "home". It is different here and it should be!