Weekends are a no, no!

Options

Replies

• wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Ditto here. I think it's because during the work week I have a set routine that has become a habit, but on the weekend I crave variety so I usually make one of those days a cheat day where I allow myself more of the foods I like and one day I aim to stay within my calorie limit, but am more lax on the macros.
  • mk_hammer
    mk_hammer Posts: 105
    Options
    Plan your meals for the entire week (INCLUDING the weekends) ahead of time. Pre-track your food if you need to, and STAY ON PLAN. It will suck sometimes, but you just have to stick to it and make your health a priority. That doesn't mean you can't go out or have a drink or whatever it is you want to do, but it does mean you must track it when you do.

If you bite it, write it!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I've learned to plan for it.

I pay more attention to my weekly average calorie count than my daily for precisely that reason. I "save up" a few hundred calories on MTW--which seem to be my cleanest and lowest calorie dayes, and then inevitably "spend" them come Friday or Saturday.

But to me, it's like putting money in a savings account and then spending it on something I really awnt-- and some times wha I want is to enjoy th ecompany of friends without worrying about "blowing" or "cheating on my diet.
  • KahalaGal
    KahalaGal Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I agree that "weak"ends are a big problem for me also. Friend me if you want to connect on weekends to give/get support.
    All the best!
  • thedietpilot
    thedietpilot Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Weekends are definitely a lot more challenging to stay on track due to all of the social engagements that pull us this way and that, which inevitably involve food.

One thing I would definitely recommend is to be true to yourself and at the very least TRACK, TRACK, TRACK.

Even if you end up eating 3,000 calories on a Saturday or a Sunday, just track it anyway!

That way you will be accountable to yourself, you will learn from your mistakes, and you will be compelled to motivate yourself to do better the following weekend.

The LAST thing you want to do is avoid tracking as a way of hiding from the numbers. This will cause you lose focus.

Moral of the story: Even if you have a bad day, TRACK IT!
  • katebug1978
    Options
    That is a very common occurance. As you can see from the other posts. All I can suggest is trying to keep your routine into the weekend. (eating at the same time, the same way) With that being said be sure you get out and experience life. You have to have a "cheat" day in your plan or you will go crazy. Stress has been proven to be a cause of poor results in a fitness plan, so do your best to not let that happen. So once a week give into that sinful pleasure (just don't go overboard)

I COMPLETELY AGREE. YOU MUST ALLOW YOURSELF A CHEATDAY. I HAVE A FRIEND WHO DOES THIS AND STILL HAS AMAZING RESULTS. I HAVENT DONE THIS MYSELF YET CAUSE I JUST STARTED 5 WKS AGO, BUT I JUST STARTED TO ALLOW MYSELF TO INDULGE IN BEN AND JERRYS FROZEN YOGURT ON SATURDAY NIGHTS, AND I AM FINE WITH THAT.
    NOW I DONT EAT THE WHOLE PINT, MAYBE LIKE A CUP. AND IF IM CRAVING, SAY FRENCH FRIES OR CHEESESTEAKS, I MAKE MY OWN, BAKING MY FRIES, AND USING CHICKEN STEAKS, AND LOW FAT CHEESE AND LIGHT MAYO, THEN LOAD IT WITH THE VEGGIES.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I have terrible willpower... My husband shops as if he's a 16 year old at the grocery store, and I'm like, WHEN DID YOU GO WITHOUT ME? Too late...

I do best to not open the cupboard doors and go run on the beach or play on the weekends. =) Looks like you are doing a great -14 loss so far! Keep it up!
  • TomTomato
    TomTomato Posts: 223
    Options
    Weekends are my achille's heel. It starts with pizza on Friday night. When we make our own, it still fits in my calorie limit, but it's usually the late-night snacking or bigger breakfasts that get me. I'm trying to be better at tracking regardless of how bad it is!
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I've learned to plan for it.

I pay more attention to my weekly average calorie count than my daily for precisely that reason. I "save up" a few hundred calories on MTW--which seem to be my cleanest and lowest calorie dayes, and then inevitably "spend" them come Friday or Saturday.

But to me, it's like putting money in a savings account and then spending it on something I really awnt-- and some times wha I want is to enjoy th ecompany of friends without worrying about "blowing" or "cheating on my diet.

Exactly what I do. Means I can have some wine or beer and a pizza a couple of nights a week and still lose pounds.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Weekends are killing me lately too! Before I was not eating enough so I would just stay the same and it would take a couple of days before I saw progress. Now there is always something going on and I just can't seem to eat correctly!
  • SloRunner25
    SloRunner25 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. Ended up having a glass of wine and 3 beers and just going buck wild on some nachos on Saturday night. :noway: This week I loaded (and I mean LOADED) the house with good foods and a treat (dark chocolate covered cashews...nomz!). Here's hoping this weekend will be different! :drinker:
  • Reecebullet
    Reecebullet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    My weekends used to be an issue as well, but mine were because of where I was on weekends (went out drinking with friends). Cut that back to once a month instead and I've had no issues.

On weekends, remind yourself why you want to get healthier and why that's more important than eating/drinking more than you need.
  • DedeeMarie
    DedeeMarie Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Weekends are hard for me too, because I eat at odd times or eat out or drink out more.

I try to keep myself honest by doing two official weigh-ins - Friday and Monday mornings. That way, I weigh in on Friday morning and I feel good about my loss going into the weekend, and all weekend I think - I gotta keep doing well if I'm going to be a success on the scale Monday morning too!

I also try working out first thing on the weekends, so that way I feel good all day about what I've done so far and then I don't want to mess that up either!

As for the actual eating part, I do try to eat a late-ish breakfast. On weekdays I eat at 8 am, and on weekends I try to eat around 10 if I can hold out that long. That helps me too because I feel like I stay up later on weekends and if I eat an early breakfast I feel like I either snack all day or eat a fourth meal!!

Also with eating - if I know I'm going out to eat with a friend, I try to plan ahead. I try to go in knowing what I'm going to order, and if it's not the healthiest thing, then how many calories it is - so I can try to work around it.

It does suck so hard - but you can't be good for five days and then ruin it all on the weekend!! Good luck!

Some great tips here! Weekends are my major problem too! I think it has a lot to do with our routines M-F and then we don't really have one on the weekend so its like my mind has lost control! lol But I like the weighing in on Friday and Monday thing. And eating later in the mornings...That is so true because we do stay up later at night (good tip)
  • kingkoopaluv
    kingkoopaluv Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I designate my cheat meal for Sunday so its easier to get through the weekend knowing you have a cheat meal coming up....I think everyone who is human should have 1 - 2 cheat meals a week, it keeps you sane!
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I allow for this by eating really light and using intermittent fasting during the week. I basically aim for around 1200 each M-Th, about 2400 on Friday and 3000 each on Sat and Sun. This is 13,200 for the week, which is the equivalent of 1885 per day, which is still a deficit for me, so I still lose. And I don't drink alcohol though, so I don't have to worry about that taking any of my calories.
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    This is one if the reasons people see little to no results. No doubt about it- weekends are TOUGH!!!

Really, you need to make a choice and PLAN. You cannot go into the weekend without deciding what you will have and won't have! Give yourself a treat, but know what the treat(s) is/are and STICK to the plan! Also, start considering Saturday and Sunday as part of your week, those two days are just as important as all the others. At the end if the day...it's how bad do you want to achieve your goals?? No one ever died from saying no to a cookie.

I jUST posted below on my page this past Saturday as I knew it would be another challenging weekend:

"Good Morning! It's challenge time: the weekend (the last set!). On average we take in 10-20% additional calories over the next two days and its usually fat and alcohol that make up the calories. It's the two days that often negate the efforts made during the week.. and then we wonder why the scale aint moving or the pipes aint piping! Let's PLAN to win and not wait until Monday to "get back on track"! Strategically consume your treats and extra calories so that train keeps moving - right on track! Consider saturday and sunday as part of your week in terms of nutrition and end strong - its like the last set!!! Have a great weekend everyone & lets get er' done!!!!"
  • tinydancer4
    tinydancer4 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Me too!! I'm always a lot more happy and carefree at the weekends as I don't have to work - sometimes that translates into thinking I can just eat whatever I want. I find making sure I'm a little bit under during the week helps, so I can save up a few extra calories for the weekend.

Also, I find if I can avoid drinking too much alcohol I'm usually ok - but once I've had that 3rd glass of wine, I've no willpower to resist that cake!

Feel free to add me if you want weekend support.
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    Plan ahead. Eat a bit under calories a day or 2 during the week and bump up your exercise a few days if you know you'll be indulging a bit over the weekend to compensate. Continue to get activity in on the weekend and track to keep yourself aware.
  • Fefe_Marie
    Options
    Okay, so here's what I do. MFP's goal calories for myself is 1310. On days that I work out, I usually try to eat around 1400, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. I usually work out mostly during the week, so I give myself more leeway on the weekends. That can mean, I don't work out, I go a little bit over my goal, I don't eat home-cooked meals (i.e. I get chinese food, or pizza), OR a combination of all of those!

In my opinion, the key is to "cheat" in moderation. If you're craving something that is not normally in your diet, then go ahead and have it. BUT just make sure that you don't go overboard. Also, something that helps me, is planning. I knew I was going to a happy hour, so I looked up the restaurant, found the wine that I was going to have and added a generous amount to my diary. Then I worked the rest of my food around that.

That being said, it seems to me that this is something that most people struggle with! Just this weekend, I had late night eating, no exercise and a Red Robin wrap that sent me 900 calories over, to contend with! (If I would have known that it was that many calories, I wouldn't have eaten it!) Trust me, you are not alone!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Is it because you're trying to adhere to too great of a daily calorie deficit?